Teribble's Vegas OB Pool / Spa

It uses a dual frequency GNSS receiver with GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and BeiDou. There are claims of 6mm accuracy, but for a smaller excavator in real world conditions a couple inches is more realistic. Plenty accurate for digging a pool though. The precision and accuracy for blades is much better than for excavators/buckets.

I have plenty excavators with 1/2” accuracy at the bucket teeth out there working.

But yes an inch to two is good enough for digging a pool. If you used laser to augment then you can get down to the knats-butt.

I couldn't get an excavator rented with the trimble 3D earth. To get a mini excavator equipped with the trimble, requires a 30 day minimum rental and there's a waiting list. I ended up renting a CAT308e2 mini excavator and a CAT 236 skit steer with a 7 year dump truck. 16 dump trucks later (way over filled) and about 14+ hours of time behind the excavator I have a whole. I hit caliche about 3 feet down the whole time and ended up change my layout up a little (Not sure how that will work with the permit and inspector). I was super happy to have such a big excavator but it was challenging working in my backyard. I did some hand trimming and still need to set my forums and do a bunch more trimming. Super glad I did the digging my self because at $250 an hour the excavation company charges. It would have killed my budget and maybe the whole build because they would have come with a lot smaller excavator and hammers the heck out of everything. I took some pictures and will up load them later today.

The dig.....

Vz8mfaa.jpg

cYc4u6U.jpg

mINvtZP.jpg

RVxZPsV.jpg

pzyVY6d.jpg

EBHUxh9.jpg

4jsuXDt.jpg

Ds6MFco.jpg

shAWtUR.jpg

Cyx7gxh.jpg

kRk48OB.jpg

td2MGzW.jpg

wgztgUJ.jpg

DEoDHAU.jpg

S43dZFJ.jpg

WPoKOWq.jpg

Sd1wTdp.jpg

GYTrpvi.jpg

ehgMu5E.jpg

HGLDBNK.jpg

N10RoLq.jpg

TFVIoZ7.jpg

TYaJiqN.jpg

R1CHpL6.jpg

EpyJsAt.jpg

rjEJzZz.jpg

Y6r01LJ.jpg

I couldn't get an excavator rented with the trimble 3D earth. To get a mini excavator equipped with the trimble, requires a 30 day minimum rental and there's a waiting list. I ended up renting a CAT308e2 mini excavator and a CAT 236 skit steer with a 7 year dump truck. 16 dump trucks later (way over filled) and about 14+ hours of time behind the excavator I have a whole. I hit caliche about 3 feet down the whole time and ended up change my layout up a little (Not sure how that will work with the permit and inspector). I was super happy to have such a big excavator but it was challenging working in my backyard. I did some hand trimming and still need to set my forums and do a bunch more trimming. Super glad I did the digging my self because at $250 an hour the excavation company charges. It would have killed my budget and maybe the whole build because they would have come with a lot smaller excavator and hammers the heck out of everything. I took some pictures and will up load them later today.

Looks good anyway.

Thank you, I just hope the inspector thinks it's okay but I won't find out until after the rebar, plumbing, and electrical is done.

The Inspector wont even care about the shape of the dirt as long as the rebar is not too far away from the cut-out shape. He will be more worried about the rebar size (#3 & #4) and where they are located in the pool plus the spacing. He will also look for the pool bond locations. You are ready for Plumbing....:)

I think what is needed here is a new name and acronym for Owner Builder (OB). The others here who have used that term, that hire and manage subcontractors to do the actual work, need a new name. Because this guy redefines Owner Builder!!

The Inspector wont even care about the shape of the dirt as long as the rebar is not too far away from the cut-out shape. He will be more worried about the rebar size (#3 & #4) and where they are located in the pool plus the spacing. He will also look for the pool bond locations. You are ready for Plumbing....:)
I'm worried about the PVC sitting in the sun for to long while I wait for shotcrete to come. I've heard they're backup up like 6 weeks but haven't called anyone yet. Still in shock I have a hole in the ground and this is really happening.

I think what is needed here is a new name and acronym for Owner Builder (OB). The others here who have used that term, that hire and manage subcontractors to do the actual work, need a new name. Because this guy redefines Owner Builder!!
Thank you but we're all here doing the same thing, I just chose to do it a little differently and try to maximize my savings. I can tell you that before this I've never operated any of this equipment and now I feel like I could handle it again no problem. I'm super excited now that this build is going but I'm seeing the final project/ completed backyard is going to be an extremely long process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Call and get it scheduled now. There are others out there other than Delta. Really any one can do shotcrete as long as you have the pump and compressor. Chuck @ ND conc does good work. I would really shop the price. It comes down to how good they finish the edges and top of the beams..

Call and get it scheduled now. There are others out there other than Delta. Really any one can do shotcrete as long as you have the pump and compressor. Chuck @ ND conc does good work. I would really shop the price. It comes down to how good they finish the edges and top of the beams..
I've called/ emailed anyone that I could find that does shotcrete and most of them won't even schedule it right now until I pass inspection.

Give Betts Concrete a call. Did very good work on mine.
I emailed them but haven't heard back yet.

I'm planning on getting some trenches dug for the plumbing and electrical this weekend and maybe even get the spa plumbing started.

Yesterday I got a 75 lbs chipping hammer to clean up the caliche that I couldn't square up. I can't believe how freaking hard that stuff is and how much work it takes. I'm glad I don't have much to do. I got my floor drain and spa drain ordered and should be picking up my skimmer and autofill today. I'll be doing the plumbing next week. For the drains I went with the AquaStar 20" full circle in a light gray.

Plumbing question....
Has anyone used these water stop pipe sleeves? I know some people say they're overkill but I was thinking that's one more step to prevent any leaks later on.
https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com...xYAYDORWL0oSlYeBQm9rfi2uabDfEKiwaAskuEALw_wcB

Yesterday I got a 75 lbs chipping hammer to clean up the caliche that I couldn't square up. I can't believe how freaking hard that stuff is and how much work it takes. I'm glad I don't have much to do. I got my floor drain and spa drain ordered and should be picking up my skimmer and autofill today. I'll be doing the plumbing next week. For the drains I went with the AquaStar 20" full circle in a light gray.

Plumbing question....
Has anyone used these water stop pipe sleeves? I know some people say they're overkill but I was thinking that's one more step to prevent any leaks later on.
https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com...xYAYDORWL0oSlYeBQm9rfi2uabDfEKiwaAskuEALw_wcB

Drains are old school. Many pools are being built without them. I had mine removed in a recent resurface. You don't need them. The safest, most attractive, least intrusive, most leak-proof drains? None at all!! You might look into that before you trench and plumb them in...

Re:  Teribble's Vegas OB Pool / Spa

Thanks everyone. Here's a quick update of where I'm at to date.

3,Spa depth/ Jets - What would you do differently to your spa build and any advice would be great. Our last pool didn't have a blower pump (I think that's what it's called) and sometime the bubbles would take a little while before turning on. Water would flow but not air in the system.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

I have a square spa with an internal dimension of 7x7. On a whim I did one side at 12", two at 18" and the final at 24" with two jets per side at the same height all around, and I am extremely happy with this decision after my first spa season. Depending on ambient temp, I can submerse as much of myself as I want. No pic, but here's a screenshot from my sketchup. Also allows people of different height to find some place comfortable to sit.
Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 11.23.01 AM.jpg

Just a little update... I've been to busy to focus on the pool build but I should be able to start on the plumbing in about a week. I open the shutters to look and make sure the hole's still there and that's about it. I'm almost done with my pool side gate I'm building to match my other gate. I'll post some pictures of it once I get it done.

So I had a little set back on my pool build. I left the company I was working at for that past 7 year to move into a management position. It's been a huge challenge and took me away from the pool build but I'm back now.

Pool Build Update...
When I did the excavation myself I ended up shorting the pool by about 4 feet because of the caliche and I only had the rental equipment for the weekend. After sitting and looking at it for the past few weeks I was worried I wouldn't be happy later if it was to small. I decided to give a pro a phone call and have him double check my work and extend the pool to match my plans. He said I did a great job and could believe it was square and straight. He tried to price it like a normal dig which they would track any hammering time and charge me $200/hour for. I talked him into a flat price because we both knew there was going to be hammering. It took him 2 days with about 6 hours of hammering. He told me I saved a ton of money doing the dig myself which I was happy to hear. In the end I still got it completed way cheaper then any of the quote I got and didn't have to pay any hammering fees. I'm super happy with the end results.
RWD6Snd.jpg

AOMLdGF.jpg

P6mJcwu.jpg

HszKKTo.jpg

Sy1NWFJ.jpg

5GYAH62.jpg

:shock: got a new job AND as a manager? Guessing the upgrade in jobs really helped pay the guy to add the lost size! AWESOME job getting him to do a flat rate! How did he feel about the price when he was done?

Glad to see things are moving again!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.