Building in June : Brownsburg IN

Try now. I put a space in front of it.

PB stopped by this evening and I questioned him about the suction line that he called an equalizer and he said since I didn’t have a main drain I needed one somewhere. And I said no way, you don’t , you can run a pool just off of two skimmers I’ve done it for the last six or seven years and I’ve never had a problem. So he called the plumber and asked him his advice and told him not to put in the extra suction port. I feel so much better now. But it was crazy that he really couldn’t give me any reason why I had to have it. It’s not code it’s just something they do he said.

I will be there for sure!

I would reject the equalizer line, all it takes is a skimmer full of leaves, a paper plate , a swimmers cap etc to block the basket & the equalizer becomes a dedicated wall suction.

Yes, there are devices to curb the risk - but human error will always be present , product degradation, tampering by swimmers etc can lead to a failure..

The best risk management is elimination.

Today the plumber and electrician were here. Plumbing is complete, the electrician will return on Monday.
8b899844383bd12f56bb021ef95da63f.jpg

bcd99e828b578cb5a88ca6af6c5dc9a9.jpg

592c2f646f8bb9fd4395d644c2f8afc0.jpg

f49946fb23b162c217bb26e714afd523.jpg

Jodie, I don't see anything that could be the equalizer.........do you?

I see several unions BUT do not see one on the pipe that goes to the top of the pump on the right side of your pic. There needs to be one there and everywhere so it can be serviced or replaced without cutting pipe. Go out and check that you could take the filter apart without cutting any of the PVC pipe. Do that also for everything else. Here is what a union looks like just to make sure: Shop Homewerks Worldwide 1-1/2-in dia PVC Sch 40 Union at Lowes.com I just grabbed the first one I saw so you would know what to look for.

I am not real happy with the valves he put in :( They are prone to "freezing up" and breaking over time. Here is an example of a "good" valve that lasts a LONG time and some can even be rebuilt: https://sunplay.com/products/pentair-2-way-pvc-valve-263038?variant=6881020936227&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3KqdvaSQ2wIVlspkCh0AegkCEAQYAiABEgJIBvD_BwE Again this is just an example.

Kim:kim:

I’m not a ball valve fan, but those are nice ball valves. They serve as unions & won’t lock up lock the solid body valves, backing the nut off will release the “ball.”

If it were my pool I would offer to pay builder segment the piping, if a return fails one day that configuration will leave pool out of commission, until leak can be located and repaired.

- Btw - I rarely use unions..

Today they are putting the pool liner in! I snapped a few photos early in the process, but I’m at the hospital all morning for my kidney treatments so I’ll miss the majority of the install. I’ll snap more pictures when I get home and share soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Picture time!!!

Coping going on

54cbe41a4b6e05ca2bb82c46ded6e4a5.jpg

Pool base going on and smoothing

b54ddd06f4efa4cfbe8365bf10bbed65.jpg

Undercover Track cover going on

2d67cedccfadd61737e68dd0e2b71687.jpg

Gone to hospital for 3 hours getting my IV steroid infusion and seeing my kidney doctor. Got a pretty bad headache in this picture.

2aab5d2241de2b0653d73f8af92d4629.jpg

Home to see liner is in

f3f158aeaafa163ee23d2d28c24d9c98.jpg

Water truck arrived!

d74c5f9d8a5d28e146adf3919c46d59f.jpg

Fill levels after each truck emptied its load of water

97bf8bc227ba9b7070def6b9eea028c0.jpg

83a45e0c3b2cb3c7961a09c0b5721fc8.jpg

4d5f51b90f8467d5ee8100d2951e4f1d.jpg

All Filled Up!

6c43c9ecfab06d4b78406fd4bea6b413.jpg

Will order test kit over the weekend.

Happy Memorial Weekend Everyone!

Oh and one more thing, PB had to go out of town for a funeral. My pump is not on. It’s going to be in the 90’s this weekend! Should I take a sample to a pool store in the meantime to see if the truck water is chlorinated?

If it has any FC in it it will not be much. Here is your shopping list to get you through until the pump is started and your test kit comes in:

Walmart-
-hth 6 way test kit if at all possible. If not the 3 way will help a tiny bit.

-liquid "shock". It should be in the pool section. It is 10% FC. Get about 6 gallons/jugs.

-CYA aka stabilizer-(do you know the gallons of your pool?) Use Pool Math to find out home much you need.

Do you or any one you know have a subm. pump? Since your pump is not running yet you need something to move your water. You can use a straw broom or a boat paddle to stir and move the water around.

That will get the water started on the way to being balanced. Those baby kits are only stop gaps until your good test kit comes in.

Kim:kim: (sorry you have a headache :( )

Today was backfill day! Here is a photo of the pool this evening.
The ground is so dry that the pool water is full of dust/dirt.

The pump was started this morning, but not working. Electrician is coming back tomorrow to troubleshoot.

Plan to vacuum to waste when everything settles overnight and pump is up and working tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

0ffe93f44fa02f187aa6664cb1e3d132.jpg

When will the deck pour be??? Make sure they use "chairs" under the wire to lift it off the ground. Other wise it will not do it's "job" of reinforcing the decking. They might try to tell you "We will lift it up as we pour." NOPE! As soon as they let it go it sinks back down to the bottom :( Plus they are standing on it it so.......

Hope the pump fix is an easy one! Need to get that water moving and balanced. Did your test kit get there yet?

Kim:kim:

Well, turns out the electrician wired the 2 speed pump wrong and when the PB came to start it up it immediately burned out the motor. They have ordered me a brand new filter and motor. Should be in any day now.
In the meantime, there is a Dolphin in the pool cleaning and circulating the water. It’s cleanish, just murky from dust. PB has dosed it with pucks and powder shock for now.
I ordered the test kit last week, assuming it shall arrive any day now as well.
I am third on the list for concrete next week if it does not rain delay. Keeping finger crossed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.