Lowest recommended IntelliFlo RPM to still run SWG and skim properly?

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
My new build is finishing up this week and I'm trying to decide what my game plan is for running the pump and SWG. I have a timer for the SWG installed but I'm leaning towards a low RPM 24/7 as a first cut at it but not sure how low of an RPM I can go to and still get effective SWG and skimming operation.

Thanks!

Raw,

All pool plumbing is a little different, so you will have to determine this for yourself..

Turn on the pump at the lowest rpm and then look at your IC40.. the flow light will most likely be red (no flow)... then slowly keep increasing the pump speed until the flow light turns green. Then add 100 rpm and that is the lowest speed you will want to run...

My pool runs at 1200 rpm because my salt cell's flow switch closes at about 1100 rpm.. so I added 100 rpm just to make sure. At that speed my skimmers work just fine.

Don't watch the water flowing by the skimmer and assume they are not working.. Give them a chance to work...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Also, look for the water to flow over the skimmer weir door so it pulls it down. If it is flowing around the sides of the weir, the RPM is too low.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have been trying what each of you said and I think I like the results. So as long as the skimmer weir door is pulling down, that means I have adequate skimming? Or could there be case where the door is still down, but skimming doesn't work very efficiently?

If the door is not pulled down enough, debris can collect on the door and block the flow so I would set it to the lowest RPM where the water appears to be going over the door and watch it over time to make sure the debris does not stick on the edge of the door.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.