Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need a timer for my new variable speed pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need a timer for my new variable speed pump?

I just bought a Hayward tristar vs 900 variable speed pump. Should I have an electrician put in a timer so I can set it to run a certain amount of time each day or should I just run it all the time?

i have a 25,000 gallon pool with a small fountain and hot tub.
    Tulsa, OK,Gunite inground pool - lagoon finish - 20,000 gallons
    Hot tub in one corner that is raised about 3 feet and has two spillovers into the pool
    Small side pool with two pipes that jet up water and has two spillovers into the pool
    Has a sundeck at the front

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need a timer for my new variable speed pump?

VS pumps have an internal timer that you set. Normally allows for 4 different pump speeds. The pump is direct wired from a GFCI breaker. No timer is needed.

Only timer you need with a VS pump is if you have a SWCG. Unless you use automation, the SWCG must have a timer to ensure it is powered off when the pump is scheduled to be not operating.

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

ttc,

Most VS pumps have a built in control panel.. So the pump gets constant power from a Circuit Breaker and all the operation is done using the control panel..

I did say "most", so maybe your specific pump does not??? It appears that there are several versions of this pump, so an actual P/N would help us know for sure...

If you have a saltwater pool, your SWCG will need a timer for it...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

I do not have saltwater at this time and any conversion is at least a year away.

Because it it is cheaper to run a vs should I just lower the rpm and run it all the time? Or should I set it to run from 8 am to 8 pm , or something like that?

looks like it is model number sp3480vsp so something like that, I can’t quite see the middle numbers from the picture I took.
    Tulsa, OK,Gunite inground pool - lagoon finish - 20,000 gallons
    Hot tub in one corner that is raised about 3 feet and has two spillovers into the pool
    Small side pool with two pipes that jet up water and has two spillovers into the pool
    Has a sundeck at the front

5. Back To Top    #5

ttc,

I can't find that P/N, but it could just be me....

I run my pump 24/7 because I have a SWCG and like the idea of adding a little chlorine all the time.. As you say, running 24/7, at 1200 rpm, costs me less than $20 bucks a month...

But.. if I did not have a SWCG, I'm not sure I would run my pump the same way...

You really only need to run your pump long enough the keep the water skimmed... From a chemical mixing point of view an hour or two is enough... But how long it takes to skim your pool would depend on what kind of surface debris you get and how picky you want to be...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.