Pool decking ideas for Florida.

Limey

Jul 14, 2011
Central Florida
Need some ideas other than thin pavers for the pool and lanai area of my pool deck. Currently total area is 1750sqft and Sundek painted over concrete. Looks like knock down finish.

Anything other than travertine perhaps ? Looking at primarily tile type options., Looking at tiles than can resist chorine and remain relatively cool in the FL sunshine. Perhaps slate ?

What I would do is go to a stone yard and see what your eyes like THEN put them down on the ground and let the sun warm them up. See what your feet like that way. Go from there.

So why do you want to cover up your current decking?

Kim:kim:

What I would do is go to a stone yard and see what your eyes like THEN put them down on the ground and let the sun warm them up. See what your feet like that way. Go from there.

So why do you want to cover up your current decking?

Hi ,

I've got one large piece of travertine to test so far. But when I was at Stone and tile center yesterday there was many choices which led me to ask what others perhaps use for Florida ( heat ) pool decking.

Slate looked good to me, it was also much cheaper per sq ft as but curious about it's longetivity.

Reason for covering is primarily looks as I don't like the knock down Sundek painted finish currently. Also some minor cracks where there used to be planters either side of the pool
Tiler believes with additives in thinset etc the cracks won't transfer into tiles in those areas.

Hi Kim, appreciate your comments and concerns. I was merely wanting to know what other stones or tiles can be chemical resistant and relatively cool in the sunshine. The tiler is someone I know of and his past work. So leveling etc isn't the issue.

Got ya! Okay so from what I have heard flagstone can be flaky so make sure to check the stock to make sure it is not one of the really flaky sets. Soap stone, while pretty, is a fairly "soft" stone so not as good around high traffic areas as pools. Other than than you are good to go with what ever catches your eye!

Got ya! Okay so from what I have heard flagstone can be flaky so make sure to check the stock to make sure it is not one of the really flaky sets. Soap stone, while pretty, is a fairly "soft" stone so not as good around high traffic areas as pools. Other than than you are good to go with what ever catches your eye!

With flagstone can you please elaborate a little more. Are you referring to the flagstone company or type of stone ? My short list so far in design and products are, wood look tile decking or slate. I'm kinda going off travertine to be honest.

Need some ideas other than thin pavers for the pool and lanai area of my pool deck. Currently total area is 1750sqft and Sundek painted over concrete. Looks like knock down finish.

Anything other than travertine perhaps ? Looking at primarily tile type options., Looking at tiles than can resist chorine and remain relatively cool in the FL sunshine. Perhaps slate ?

Hi I really think that thin pavers would be you best bet as to durability and longevity, besides with pavers you don't have to worry about cracking. We have thin pavers over an existing concrete pad and love the fact that everything matches. Look at our pool build in the sig bar :cheers:
Our summer kitchen is made of slate and it is very soft and flakes easily.
Tile would be way too slippery when wet. Just my opinion:roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.