Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
This is that cheapy $30 pump that I leave in the water permanently. The water rose above the sealed off returns and around 2" below the skimmer opening. With 4 days solid of rain forecast, I figured I'd get a jump on it.

Works pretty well. At the rate it is going, probably going to take over 1/2 an hour to drain down what I want which is about 3" of water.

Sorry not sure how to embed a Google movie. Click the link!

Google Photos

4TfmmW1RjnpHAkTnwbRR41jHn4E-fo5BV-AyNkgkjAeNtCewEkFYuSB6SvE27tf8ky4JshIERDZyODVLBIbZ5yHdn4MgR06Q4k0_3jlFs4BzZ0xB0-4ohI9WMza85a--CjS5uy8rshC9WFZ637s3EPVOGm6SrTt3nW4h3bZX0Z3nrRf5w2A-LW4SgTIvFyqdzdQ1bDdycWnfZEhI8K2qr3rqHAY_RRzh3w0AgOdSrjN240PkCnIekDY8bXcxL-qrmrW9XLYIt49AtGLV9LRpq2eiLT6L19bVcMf2khlMY91N0rKLYdlxBLobdYq9DBHuTqFkTFNaXbemyULqsMVHEWcMhzLuqBWxou3BQ5ssynrjrlYvIkx3DFp0og-Zr5gGHOWOYUOFvRoj3HWMlN38wkBbQlyFznYOrz4Xc7qIwBY3kuNyjbX0JYixtD896hECZjNkK6I-oBNCQh30pcOBJX0NlcnOWd4vLVlszI36DjOAvkQqqgDKn493N1KQb2DT4CihF3lvvf7WnWM9hK51Wy6vSDjh1ZQjYHuOpx64hw24ChgGR_FSt3RWVcDQWY3pcxKfgpwduPWkUYsj0_NdVJkc0o5JIUGg7ktCLPE=w1279-h960-no

I’d suggest a longer discharge hose next time. I use a 100’ garden hose to get the water to my front yard where it harmlessly washes downhill to the unused part of the lot.

I’d suggest a longer discharge hose next time. I use a 100’ garden hose to get the water to my front yard where it harmlessly washes downhill to the unused part of the lot.

Well there is a reason this pump was cheap. it does not include a hose adapter. And if I used one I think the flow would be significantly reduced right?

You can typically find the adapter in a hardware store for a few bucks and if you use 5/8” or 3/4” garden hose, you’ll have plenty of flow.

I will look for an adapter I think I found one for $10.

I just went and checked it it's been running for around an hour. It has probably at least another hour to go I want it like 2" below my return.

Be careful with long term placement of cheap pumps, rust stains & leaking oil rather possible.

- pool open already?? I still have a few inches of hard water in mine..

No not open yet but probably middle of April. We want to wait until nighttime freezes are over for sure.

Funny you should say that this is what is happening. I noted it when I went in last time it has a small cloud of "rust" around it. As soon as I turned it on the cloud dissipated with no stains. I have actually been meaning to remove it from the water altogether and just add as needed due to this. I doubt the pump will last more than 1 season. You get what you pay for. Seeing as a pump is a necessary part of the pool, I am thinking of getting a decent quality above water pump that I can leave near the pool to use as needed during the off-season.

Can you suggest a decent pump? Anything under $300 would be fine. Probably want 1000-2000 GPH at least.

Amazon has a bunch. 1/4 - 1/2 HP submersible and they typically come with garden hose adapters. I have a 1/4HP Superior Pump that I have used for years to drain various bodies of water. Hooks up to 100’ of garden hose and I get about 6-8GPM. Most have a rated flow that only corresponds to open flow right out of the pump (no lift or head loss) so you have to take the stated values with a grain of salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 1/4HP Superior Pump that I have used for years to drain various bodies of water. Hooks up to 100’ of garden hose and I get about 6-8GPM. Most have a rated flow that only corresponds to open flow right out of the pump (no lift or head loss) so you have to take the stated values with a grain of salt.

I bought that same exact pump last fall to drain winter rains.

It comes with the garden hose adapter already attached.

works great!

i have been draining all winter. we have been getting crushed. i took 4 inches out last week again to keep water at least down to returns away from tile. i bought a 100 dollar pool pump from home depot or lowes. takes a regular hose hookup and has a full plastic body with small plastic round wheels around the bottom for when o nthe steps of floor of pool. i have also been using it to mix chlorine to keep my level up.

been working well. i worry about the metals geting in the pool with it also. the screws are rusty but everythign else on it looks sealed. i see no marks on the plaster.

it's been a pain to mix and drain. but hopefully it will pay off. i have a decent system going.

i mix for 3 hours with a 4 foot hose with the end cut off so it can whip around and mix the chllorine. seems to be working well.

i'm opening as soon as i can. once nights get close t oabove freezing i'm opening and i'll just run the pump 24/7

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.