New F/Glass build DownUnder - Adelaide - What have I let myself in for?... :)

If you get the WiFi variant - ensure that it has latest Version 5 WiFi module which is compatible with their latest app. Their older V4 is not compatible with their new app. Refer to the pic of my PCR4 box above - Note the small blue sticker indicating it has the latest 'Colour Touch 5' WiFi module fitted.

Thanks for the info. Will find out more.

The fact you have 10!!!!! laterals is what does the increased flow! I only have 4 or 5.

Hi Kim,

Hmmm.... I thought that the larger filters would have a similar amount of laterals - maybe not? My filter measures in at 816mm (32") diameter.

Thanks for the link about deep cleaning the sand filter.

I had already studied up on performing a deep clean and that was another thing that led to me to check the interior of my new filter before it is filled with material - I want to know exactly what I'm in for when going to deep clean it myself later on.

Always pulling things apart when I was just a kid - nothing has changed... :D

I shared it as much to show HOW the filter works as anything. It really helped me understand so thought I would share the love!

I am always trying to figure out how and why things work. My poor husband has learned to talk while he/we are working on something as he KNOWS the questions are coming :roll: but he does say I am a quick learner and great helper so it is worth it most of the time.

Kim:kim:

39eebf0ebffc5b6315ec6d8013178546.jpg

This looks correct I think, from what you’ve said.

This looks correct I think, from what you’ve said.

Yep that's the one...:goodjob:

A bit more progress for my build today.

Crew started back-fill process and lo and behold we have water in the pool...!

Note that the initial fill was with filtered drinking water from the Adelaide Hills.

Once the fill truck's tank emptied they then hooked up their hose to the local tap water supply which was not quite, well not as clear...!

Check out the colour difference - All due to sediment which should clean up fairly easy with the initial pool clean.

Still a bit more back-fill and water top up required and then the bond beam will hopefully be also installed tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Nice fresh filtered water fill............

aGIfjS.jpg

Then water truck requires refill from local mains supply:

HRUZC9.jpg

...and now we have swamp looking water...:)

kYRQa3.jpg

Reasonably simple plumbing run through the rear wall of my shed then routed around to pool. Once paving and my rear fence is complete all pipework will be hidden from view.

Main pipework is all 50mm Class 12 pressure pipe and solar runs are 40mm Class 12.

CM8l70.jpg

A bit more work required for the plant room - Solar pump to be installed between main pump and rear wall next week (solar install is done at a later stage).

qS1GEs.jpg

Nothing but the best filtered drinking water for your pool’s christening [emoji23] I think I would have almost cried seeing that beautiful coloured water turn to swamp. At least you got a glimpse of your future TFP water colour. It is perfect [emoji108]

Great that your pump turned up. Really interesting seeing that cyclone prefilter installed. I think it’s going to be a great addition. Plumbing all looks good and will be nicely hidden. Excellent progress today!

Really interesting seeing that cyclone prefilter installed. I think it’s going to be a great addition.

It will be interesting to see how much residue it picks up on the first day or two of filtering the pool. I suspect that once the pool has past its first major clean it may not have too much of a heavy load.

Pretty easy to clean it though - Just throw a bucket under the pipe sticking out the side and turn the tap - Apparently it only requires 15 Litres of water to flush completely.

Let us know how it goes. Photos would be good too of what it picks up.

For sure - I'll ensure to take a few snaps before I open the tap...!

I'm not sure how the pool handover will roll - I need to talk to the PB tomorrow to gain a heads up on the next steps after the main pool build is pretty much done.

Better order a Clear Choice Labs test kit tonight - ready for next week..!

In my so called pool starter pack there is one of those standard 4 Way DPD reagent test kits which is not in the same league as the Taylor or Clear Choice Labs kits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
EWWWWWWWWWWWWW that is some yucky water there for sure! I would be finding me some bleach and throwing that in there then brushing it real good to get it mixed in good!

I'm reluctant to throw anything in as pool handover has not technically commenced - Let them worry about that for now.

While the water looks like its having an algae attack - The colour is simply due to sediment disturbed due to the high flow rate for the water supplied by the mains feed out in the street. Normally these sort of flow rates are not generated when you are turning on a tap or two in your house, so the sediment just sits in the pipes.

The filter system was turned on and some salt has been added to get the SWG going. I took a few photos in the afternoon, pump had only been running for approx. 3hrs and the water clarity has already started to improve for now..!

The cyclone filter is working great... It has been capturing a large amount of sludge which is obviously not entering the main filter.

Framing up for bond beam concrete pour. Steel work not shown, but that was tied to the pool shell lip every few hundred mm.

U9ShM1.jpg

Concrete in:

sGCsDC.jpg

A few more pics later in the evening with the lights ablaze - You can clearly see a lot of sediment sitting on the floor etc.

sgv9OI.jpg

RWEVFE.jpg

phZGMb.jpg

I'm leaving the pump run through the night but backed off its speed from 2850 rpm to 1350 rpm to reduce noise level overnight...

Thanks heaps for all the pictures :)

It's great to see the whole process and all the detail!

Thanks...!

For the SWG we suggest getting the FC up to level with liquid chlorine then letting the SWG maintain it. It seems to work better like that. Just an idea.

It IS clearing up already! Well done!

Thanks Kim,

Yeh I knew about the SWG's real role is to simply maintain the FC levels - The pool has not been handed over as yet but I did go out to my local hardware store this morning and purchased some Hydrochloric acid as well as some granular chlorine.

I brushed the top half of the pool at 6am (I was keen and is was a pleasant morning), then headed off to the hardware store for the basic pool chemicals.

I did perform a quick test using the supplied 4 way DPD reagent test kit to get a rough idea where the pool water was currently at (should have a Clear Choice Labs test kit arrive later in this week to test for CC and FC).

The basic results this morning turned up the following:

PH 8.2 (a tad high)
Total Chlorine (can only measure this with the kit) 1.5 (too low...)
TA 80

So first basic steps for today was to start dropping the PH and raising the chlorine to something higher (flying a tad blind here due to the limitations of the kit but it gave me a rough approximation for now.

So off to buy some HCI and Ca(OCl)2.

Buying bleach here in Aus is actually not worthwhile as it is generally a more expensive way to source calcium hypochlorite.

I purchased a 10Kg tub of non stabilised chlorine for $40 and it provides for a fairly strong solution at 65% strength (min. Ca(OCl)2 650g per 1Kg).

I purchased non-stabilised as I'm thinking down the track when I eventually add CYA to the water.

SPe1iF.jpg

....and some HCI at 32% strength.

zw1VaS.jpg

Using TFP calc I ended up adding 320mL of HCI and about 90 grams of the granular chlorine to my water.

Just taking it nice and slow with the chemicals as I want to get a bit of a handle on their impact Vs quantity as I have only approximated the volume of my pool for this calculation at 37K litres. I initially thought my pool was around 42K Litres but manufacturer thinks its around 40K and PB says its 35K... Who to believe...:D

I'll re-measure the chemicals tomorrow morning.

Note that I have been running the oversized SWG at 50% - Keeping this value constant for now as I don't want to change too many variables at any one time.

Pool is starting to look heaps better, so must be doing something right...!

Here is a quick shot from my phone late this afternoon:

Colour and clarity have improved since the other day - Just lots of crud (predominately sand and concrete) at the bottom for the PB to vacuum.

plmL2h.jpg

Oh and great to hear that the cyclone filter is working so well. I really want one now [emoji31]

Here is a shot with some crud collecting - It was actually approx 10x as full of crud when I started to flush it then remembered about taking a shot with dirt in it...!

NRGK4I.jpg

Oh, I love that cyclone filter! How great is it that none of that is actually ending up in your filter?!

As for your volume... if you were behind me on your fill you could have had the hoselink volume meters I bought. You will figure it out by the chemicals you put in over time.

Your pool is looking some much better already. That is a huge difference and you have barely started getting it balanced. Once again though, fibreglass wins for start up. No sensitive interior that must be brushed several times a day or your surface is stuffed... and judging by the recent posts on here, you can do everything right and your surface isn’t how it should be anyway. No strict values to adhere to for chemicals from the second it’s filled. The chemistry has been my biggest fear since before we signed contract. I’ve had several friends give me the names of their pool stores already. They think it’s not possible to take care of it Solley by yourself. Even people who have had several pools over 20-30 years.

Once again though, fibreglass wins for start up. No sensitive interior that must be brushed several times a day or your surface is stuffed...

Yes that was one of the reasons we opted for a fibreglass pool.

In my case priority order for going with fibreglass was as follows:

• Clay based soil in my area which is prone to movement.
  • We were not looking for a complex pool shape.
  • Ease of mtce

Man that is really clearing up nice! When do you think you will be able to vacuum it?

You pH might be higher than 8.2 so be ready to have to test and dose quite a bit to get it down. Also keep any eye on your TA as the acid will also lower it as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.