Coping Ideas?

justinS

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
tucson/az
Hello everyone, we are deciding on the coping? I am 95% sure we are going to go with "salt finish" for the concrete deck, probably a light tan color. I am thinking the coping should be a different color. Nothing crazy like neon green, but something to kind of "frame" the pool. am I on the right track?

I do not want to go crazy expensive, but any ideas and hopefully pictures would be awesome

thank you

justin

Uhhhhh....you really don’t want to do a salt finish pool deck. It will get waaaaay to hot and slippery. We did an acid finish deck (so like very fine sandpaper) and flagstone coping. FS added some major $$ so if you want to do all concrete (poured coping and a concrete deck), then you should do salt finish on the coping and acid wash on the pool deck. The pool deck will still be hot but at least people won’t be slipping and falling everywhere.

Uhhhhh....you really don’t want to do a salt finish pool deck. It will get waaaaay to hot and slippery. We did an acid finish deck (so like very fine sandpaper) and flagstone coping. FS added some major $$ so if you want to do all concrete (poured coping and a concrete deck), then you should do salt finish on the coping and acid wash on the pool deck. The pool deck will still be hot but at least people won’t be slipping and falling everywhere.

THANKS, I do not want to do the flagstone, partly because of the $$ and I really don't like it.
I was thinking the "colored" salt finish would help with the heat. The heat is why I didnt want pavers. I will look at the acid finish.
Now I am even more confused what to use. better to find out now than later!

The only thing you can do for heat control is KoolDeck. No concrete finish or color is going to impact temperature in any way.

I’m offended you hate my flagstone....NO MORE ADVICE FOR YOU FOR 1 YEAR!!

(A little Seinfeld humor...)

Reactions: r2sie2
Going through some of the threads, it appears I can buy pre made coping? I assumed, the options where, concrete, pavers or flagstone type. Is the pre made and installed the normal way this is done? I feel kind of dumb asking this question

Yes, precast coping is fine. Usually you have to send the company your pool design and then they custom pour and mark each coping block - “A”, “B”, “C”, etc, etc. Then they send you back the design with the coping map so you know which blocks go where in the design.

There are technical details for the correct way to attach the coping to the bond beam using certain types of barrier films, thin set cement and then mortar. We have experts here that can help with that if you want to DIY or just to make sure whoever you hire does it right.

Justin,

Here is a pic of my manmade coping and stamped concrete decking..

dbtgallery.php

Thanks,

Jim R.

good morning pool people!!

over my days off I found/heard/ okay I went to a new pool being built in the neighborhood and got more ideas. They are getting "artisitc pavers" claim to be cooler than regular pavers, a couple of resorts here in Tucson have them.

Any info on these? the plant is Casa Granda

thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s 115F in Tucson over the summer....doesn’t matter what you make the deck/coping out of, it will get hot.

That said, go for what you guys like and gives you the look you want, not by some advertised benefit.

We wind up just laying lots of beach towels all over our pool deck when the kids swim. When they get out of the pool, the kids lie on those and they warm up / dry off quickly.

It’s 115F in Tucson over the summer....doesn’t matter what you make the deck/coping out of, it will get hot.

We took samples of different stone & pavers home and let them sit in the sun and then did a simple barefoot test (mid-August in Tampa, Florida). We decided on Shellstone Travertine for our pool - everything else got so hot that we couldn't keep our feet on the stone for very long. The shellstone was warm, but not uncomfortable after several hours of direct sun exposure with ambient air in the mid 90s.

My wife originally wanted pre-cast concrete coping. Not only was the precast concrete hot to touch, it was the most expensive option. Our pool builder quoted $6.50 / sqft of poured concrete decking, but the pre-cast concrete coping was more than $13 / sqft. The travertine was $12 / sqft. (all prices included installation)

We took samples of different stone & pavers home and let them sit in the sun and then did a simple barefoot test

We did the same. We had narrowed it down to granite and travertine. We have massive natural granite boulders surrounding the pool and were leaning towards the granite paving. After putting them in the sun and comparing, the travertine was the hands down winner. It never got too hot to touch. Also, we poured water on them to test how slippery they were. The travertine weren't nearly as slippery as I thought they'd be. The granite were very none slip, but very uncomfortable and rough underfoot. I think they would shed swimwear quickly too. We've chosen the linen tumbled travertine and although they're no down yet, very happy with our decision.

Oh - the travertine is slippery when it is first installed due to the powdery residue from cutting...and our installer warned us not to use a sealer unless it is penetrating sealer. Once the residue from cutting is washed off, the pool deck is not slippery when wet. We chose not to seal the travertine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.