Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with GFCI Tripping Last efforts (Help)

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with GFCI Tripping Last efforts (Help)

I have an Artesian (South Seas Spa 746L) tub that was working great. We moved it and now it is tripping the GFCI. Balboa Board MVS504SZR1B

Tub is currently tripping the GFCI. The GFCI was checked and is good.

Disconnected tub and turned power on at GFCI and it did not trip. GFCI only trips with tub wired.

Checked for fault from all wires to each other and no fault.

Disconnected heater (OHM checks okay) and turned power on with heater disconnected and it would still trip GFCI

Disconnected ozonator still trips.

Disconnected primary pump still trips

Disconnected secondary pump still trips.

I OHM checked the board and there is Zero ohms from Red to Neutral but 34 Ohms from Black to Neutral. Is the board faulty?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with GFCI Tripping Last efforts (Help)

Since you've disconnected all the major current drawing equipment, and it still tripped, it sounds like the board is leaking current causing the GFCI to trip.

Did you disconnect the equipment at the equipment end or at the control end? If at the equipment end, then I'd go disconnect it at the control end one piece at a time and see if it still trips the GFCI. You could have a short internally in the wiring from the controller to the equipment.

If that's not the problem, I would start at the board and disconnect it from the power and see if it trips. If it doesn't then that's pretty much the problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need help with GFCI Tripping Last efforts (Help)

S,

When the spa was moved, what new wiring was required? Did you install a new Circuit breaker box and a new whip (wiring) or is it all the old material??

Was the spa being run off of 120 VAC before it was moved?

Is there a jumper between J33 and J29?

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.