Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Salt

I have used Morton salt in the past for my above ground pool. I cant find any in my local store at a decent price but i found this one. Any concern with brand?
    Intex 14x42 Ultra Frame 3557 Gal @ 90% filled
    Intex 3000 GPH Sand filter-28651EG
    Intex SWG-28667EG
    TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Salt

High risk of iron stains. Recommend avoid.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Nope, no concerns. In fact most people just use water softener salt. As long as it is fairly pure sodium chloride it will work fine.

EDIT: Listen to James and Matt. They were paying more attention last year than me.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

4. Back To Top    #4

Lots of people have reported iron staining with Clorox salt.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

Last season we had lots of posts from people that added Clorox brand salt to their pools and the results were lots of yellow/brown stains. Salt can often be found to have sodium or potassium ferrocyanide in it as an anti-caking agent. Chlorine breaks down the ferrocyanide and releases iron.

Water softener salt is better because, by its intended use in resin bed softeners, it has to have zero iron content in it or else it will irreversibly damage the ion exchange resin. So, from a purity standpoint, softener salt is better.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Ok, I stand corrected and educated. Must have missed that from last year. Thanks guys!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to hold off.

Intex 14x42 Ultra Frame 3557 Gal @ 90% filled
    Intex 3000 GPH Sand filter-28651EG
    Intex SWG-28667EG
    TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer