Very weird Easy Touch Control issue

shulk

Nov 5, 2015
Spring/Texas
Hi there. My easy touch control suddenly stopped working. It communicates with the panel fine but the only buttons that work are up, down, and menu. Everything else (left, right, and the 8 aux) don’t work at all.

I replaced the batteries and turned the panel off for a couple minutes to no avail. Funny thing is that last week it was working just fine. Is this a known issue or just time to replace the control?

S,

I assume that when you say that your EasyTouch "control" stopped working that you are talking about a Remote panel.

I know zero about the ET remotes, but would assume if half the buttons work, that the communications link is working and that the problem is with the remote itself.

Let's hope we can some input from actual users... :p

But... now is the time to considerScreenLogic2, which allows you to control everything from your PC, a tablet, or your phone. Makes owning an EasyTouch fun and it is about 10 X easier to program and use the ET vs. using the little 3" display... And... probably costs less than a single remote.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Can you post the model number?

But Jim’s likely right. The way most of that stuff works is the buttons you’re pushing on are soldered to a circuit board. If you press hard enough, or often enough, the physical energy can eventually crack a circuit trace or work a solder joint loose, which would explain why you lost functionality of only part of the unit. If you knew what to look for, there’s a very slim chance you could find the break and resolder it, but that’s mostly wishful thinking...

Probably a RF remote starting to die. How old is the remote?

While I agree that ScreenLogic is good in theory and it’s a great way to go on new pool builds, it’s not a slam-dunk for every pool setup. In my case, I doubt it would ever work well because my WiFi gear would be VERY far away from my automation panel with many walls in the way and there’s no way to hardwire it to the panel. My point - if you like the RF remote and it works for you, then I wouldn’t switch. Just get a new remote. Typically speaking, once an ET panel is programmed the way the pool owner wants it, it is rare to update the programming. Schedules are just as easy to change using the remote as they are using ScreenLogic.

Just my contrary opinion to the ScreenLogic crowd.

Ha! I’ve already had this Remote/Logic debate elsewhere on TFP, so I wasn’t going to start it again. But since you did...

Lots of die-hard Logic fans here. I actually have both, and like each equally, but for different reasons. I wouldn’t pick one over the other, but it’s nice to run into another that likes the remote!

Mine is actually the wall mount model, and I have it hardwired to eliminate all the wireless issues.

Thats why I was asking for the model number to see what he had, if it could be hardwired, even temporarily, as a troubleshooting step...

Getting back to the problem at hand...

You may have partially lost the comm connection.

The comm wire has four connections. Red and Black are power, Yellow and Green carry the data back and forth. If you loose power (no lights), you have lost the power leg, and the panel will not work at all. If you loose both of the data, it will not talk or listen. IF YOU LOOSE ONE, either the Green OR the Yellow, you will get the symptom(s) you have, you may, or may not also notice a "NO COMM" in the upper left side of the display.

Comm wires fall victim to rats and mice chewing on them more often than a true COMM failure. I would check the comm wire from the box at the equipment all the way to the remote mounted on the wall in the house. I know, this may mean getting up into the attic, or underneath the house to chase the wire, but i would hate for you to get a new remote, Screen logic, etc, only to find out the problem persists.

Yep. Seems like 90% of issues involving cables is the cables!

But my gut is still saying “China-made circuit board” sad to say. I’ll be happy if it’s wrong...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.