Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with not being able to prime motor but only on pool side

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with not being able to prime motor but only on pool side

I noticed my pool not motor not being able to prime when it's on the pool side. I have a spa that spills over into the pool and if I have it set to spa then the pump will prime no problem. It used to work fine. I have 4 drains on pool side, 2 on bottom, 2 on the side end so shouldn't be any issue with a clog. It's been running due to freeze protection lately here in TX and will be freezing again in Sunday so I am in a rush to figure out what to check. Can anyone help me with ideas?

Thanks
    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor
    Cannon Jets under diving board - 2HP
    Cleaner Polaris 280 - 3/4HP motor

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with not being able to prime motor but only on pool side

dr,

I suspect it primes better in the spa mode because the water is above the pump..

Then number one reason for poor priming is the O-ring under the pump lid. Either not lubed or damaged.

Does your equipment pad have valves that allow you to select the input to your pump? I would assume, between skimmer(s) and Main Drain?

You could have a plug in the pipe leading from skimmer or ???

Post a pic of your equipment pad showing your valve set up...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah didnt think about spa being higher just making it easier. That makes sense. Yes I can switch between spa and pool via a valve.

IMG_1293.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    dr,

I suspect it primes better in the spa mode because the water is above the pump..

Then number one reason for poor priming is the O-ring under the pump lid. Either not lubed or damaged.

Does your equipment pad have valves that allow you to select the input to your pump? I would assume, between skimmer(s) and Main Drain?

You could have a plug in the pipe leading from skimmer or ???

Post a pic of your equipment pad showing your valve set up...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor

4. Back To Top    #4

dr,

As an experiment, close all the valves on the pool side except the one going to the closest Skimmer. Put the system back into the pool mode and see if the pump primes or not...

Let us know what happens..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

I tried that and it didn't seem to help but I found the problem, I noticed after shutting off the pump it started sucking in air very noticeably into the lid, even after I checked the o-ring and lubed it up. I tightened it tighter and it helped a lot but still hear a little air coming in. Guess I'll replace the lid.

Thanks for the help Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    dr,

As an experiment, close all the valves on the pool side except the one going to the closest Skimmer. Put the system back into the pool mode and see if the pump primes or not...

Let us know what happens..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    32,000 Plaster Pool
    Decent - 1/2HP motor