Pool Plumbing

ARS

Silver Supporter
Nov 30, 2015
Los Gatos, CA
Hello, I am new to this forum, hope to get some help. I have an Anthony IG pool that is about 22 years old and am in the process of relocating my equipment. I had a salt chlorination unit but removed some years ago. I need to remove the extra plumbing that was installed for it. Does anybody have a diagram that shows the entire plumbing system including that additional actuator etc? Thanks in advance.

ars,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find the answers to all your pool plumbing questions, whether you have lost your 'Gatos' or not... :shark:

What made you remove the saltwater system? It is by far the easiest way to chlorinate your pool.. How do you sanitize your pool now???

As Dave says above.. a couple of pics of your equipment pad would help us, help you...

You have confused us with your "additional actuator" remark as it does not fit in with your initial question.

Tell us more and post some pics...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, I will be home this weekend and will post the picture.

The salt system just gave us too many problems. It was made by Sophisticated System and used some sort of electrolysis method to chlorinate the pool. The actuator adjusted the flow of water thru the venturi tube which was attached to the salt generator. I think it was a great idea 22 years ago but there are much better and simpler systems today. I still had to have the pool checked weekly and more often than not add chemicals.

At present, I check the pool weekly and add the required chemicals. Now that I am retired, I can do that myself not a big problem. This forum has been very helpful with that.

Thanks,

I check the pool weekly and add the required chemicals

I am going to suggest that checking your chemistry weekly and adding chemicals just once a week will lead you to a path of algae and significant water replacement.

With a SWCG you can get to weekly tests. But not with liquid chlorine added manually, which must be daily during the spring/summer/fall.

Take care.

The salt system just gave us too many problems. It was made by Sophisticated System and used some sort of electrolysis method to chlorinate the pool. The actuator adjusted the flow of water thru the venturi tube which was attached to the salt generator. I think it was a great idea 22 years ago but there are much better and simpler systems today. I still had to have the pool checked weekly and more often than not add chemicals.

Is this the SWG that you had installed? I couldn't find the manual for it.

With most modern SWG units, that additional actuator is not required. You can just remove the actuator and controller from your system.
The system would be piping from pool to the pump > pump to filter > filter to chlorine addition equipment (SWG) > returns to pool. There is typically some valves in there also for maintenance or adjustment purposes. The diagram I posted above gives this in picture form.

You should just be able to purchase a SWG unit (with associated electronics) and install it inline with the plumbing you have, downstream of the filter.

See here for a full comparison of all the major SWG manufacturers - Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

Teald024,

This picture is probably a newer version of the generator I had. I will be looking into a SWG soon.

I am having an issue trying to post the pictures I took of the actuators. Hope this works. We are in the process of installing a Pentair Pump, heater and filter, hence the mess.

IMG-1632.jpgIMG-1633.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.