First Time Tester

That’s exactly the behavior that made me ditch my pressure cleaner, which is similar to your suction cleaner. The thread linked in my signature is a good read about the best value line of robots. You can spend more though too with the M-series which also has an owners thread in Pool Cleaners.

fine dust builds up quickly i feel. dirt does look almost white at times but i know it is dirt. i bet u r fine like others have said. you are doing a great job now!

i can say from my frist year of owning that running the pump as much as you can even at a lower speed deff helps skim the surface and also keep dirt off the floor which you might be seeing. especially if by steps if you dont' have returns to sweep the steps for you. i have returns on my steps and they still do't keep all the dirt off them. i have tried to move thier location many times and it's not 100%.

jimi

Hi!

I would like to ask you all about what your FC loss is everyday? I tried to find something in old links but only came across complicated formulas. About 3 weeks ago I did the over night chlorine loss and my numbers were steady. Currently I lose 1 ppm of FC daily. Kinda feels like I am going through a lot of bleach. From Feb 6 to today I have used 4 gallons of 8% bleach.

My numbers are:

FC 2.5 (just tested, haven’t added more bleach yet)
CC 0
CYA 35ish
PH 7.8 (maybe 8–its hard to tell the difference in color)
TA 180
CH 150 (but I haven’t got this test figured out, the colors get all weird)

I usually keep my pool FC at 5, I haven’t tested in 2 days due to an illness but on average it goes down 1 ppm per day. Is this normal? Should i try and get my numbers better?

Thanks! Hope everyone is having a good weekend. :)

on average it goes down 1 ppm per day. Is this normal?
That's very good. The cooler the water the slower the FC loss. Things are warming up so FC will start to go a little faster. In general, we say that as long as the FC loss is not more than 4ppm in 24 hrs, you're in good shape. Of course other factors could increase FC loss like, a lot of swimmers, organic material flooding into the water, algae, etc, but if your water is clear and you're only losing 1 ppm of FC a day, you're doing well. :goodjob:

Definitely bump that FC up tonight though and get it back into range. Anything as low as 2-3 starts to get a little dicey. Have a nice weekend.

Keep your pH in the 7's. So add enough muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.6 from 8. With each add, your TA will go down a little. You will need to acid often, possibly every few days. Once your TA drops some that will slow down. But when evaporation kicks in around May 1, you will be adding high TA water constantly. So your acid consumption will not drop much.

Also by May 1 you will want to raise your CYA to 50 or so. I assume you are going to be adding liquid chlorine EACH DAY. Otherwise you need to get a SWCG.

Take care.

So add the acid in slowly over a few day? It looks like i need about a quart according to the pool math- should I add all at once and test again, then keep going if its not low?
And yes, I test and add bleach EVERY day. :) Since this is all new, I think its fun, but eventually I will need to convert like everyone else to to a SWCG.

Add enough acid to lower the pH to 7.6 with the pump running on high speed. It is suggested to slowly pour the acid in the water near a return jet so the acid doesn't sink to the bottom of the pool and damage the plaster. Some people like to give the pool a brushing at this time to help mix the acid.

The pH can be checked 1/2 hour after adding the acid to make sure the pH was lowered to 7.6. If the pH measures higher than 7.6 then add a bit more acid and test again after another 1/2 hour to see your results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi! I would love your input again- I currently have my acid too low! It is down to 7.2 (i have the waterfall on now, to try and bring it back up) and the TA is down from 180 to 120-130ish. It kinda turns red purple before its full red, so somewhere in there. Is my TA ok?
FC 5
CC 0
CYA 40 (question: is the little black dot supposed to be totally invisible? Or just kinda there?)
PH 7.2
TA 120-130
CH 250

A pH of 7.2 is OK, nothing to be too concerned about. just let it rise naturally or run the waterfall if you want to actively work on the TA.

For the TA test, add drops until you see no further color change, then don't count the last drop. If the 12th drop changes the color, then add the 13th drop. If that drop didn't change the color then don't count it and use 12 x 10 = 120.

For the CYA test, the solution should be cloudy enough to not see the dot when you glance at it for a second or two. Don't stare at it trying to find the dot. Pour to a line, glance, if you can see the dot, pour to the next line, glance again. Repeat until you can't see the dot.

edit: TA multiplier

Make sure you are doing the cya test in the sun with your back to the sun. It does make a huge difference in the reading if you’re doing it in the shade or in the house etc...
I made that mistake myself!

~Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.