Switched to bleach and having itchy sore skin ?

Matilda

Dec 3, 2017
West Yorks/UK
:wave:Hi there,
Wondering if I'm doing this right, as since I switched over to bleach I'm having skin dryness - especially on my right arm up to the elbow, which is the arm I use to collect my sample a couple of times a day. It's dry, scaly and itchy and feels tight :(

I've been adding the only bleach I can find locally that doesn't have perfume and other rubbish in it but it is only 1.5% sodium hypochlorite per 100g (it's only 35p per 2 litres so I don't mind the amount I'll have to put in or bulk as I can buy it locally regularly).

I've also been finding it does seem to be getting used up quicker than the dichlor - is that because of the low percentage even though FC is FC and measured the same in amounts ?
Testing has shown pretty much that if I add 100ml it's goes up around 1.5 ppm or thereabouts.

My current readings are
CH - 160 ( we had to add increaser as our base reading is 90ppm)
TA -70 ( we had been running it at 50ppm but wondered if that was a bit low?)
PH - had been stable at around 7.4 but has risen to around 7.8 - 8 - possibly more ?
CYA - 30 ppm we added dichlor to get this up then switched
FC - 2 ppm ( I just added 200 ml bleach and it took me to 4.5ppm)
CC's 0.5

Do I need to do anything with these readings ? or do they seem okay ?
Water is clear and smells good, it's just the dry skin and perhaps the fast use up of chlorine with the bleach that's nattering me.

Here's my chlorine usage today
At 09:00am it was 4.5ppm, I had a 45 min naked soak :splash:
After this FC was 2ppm so I added 100ml bleach ( up to 3.5 ppm)
FC reading at 13:45 was 2 ppm so a loss of 1.5 since 09:45 am
Is this a lot or ok?

It's hard to get borates over here as they are a restricted item ! As is blooming everything these days - would these help with the skin dryness ? or just PH buffer ?

Sorry I'm probably asking a lot of questions here but feel I'm getting close to the problems I've been having with the amazing help in here and I'm very grateful for everything so far !

pH being high is more than likely your issue. You need to keep your pH in the 7's using muriatic (hydrochloric) acid.

My concern with the low priced bleach is being sure of its purity. I would suggest continuing to research a source of liquid chlorine.

Take care.

Thanks Mknauss,
I have searched a lot over the past few months and although we can get 14-15% sodium hypochlorite it's expensive to ship and would have to be bought regularly or it wouldn't stay stable for long ? We seem to struggle for all things pool - at least this method of pool management over here. It's already cost a considerable sum in product and shipping getting test kits and reagents etc

Sorry I should have explained better that PH has been stable and only risen today after being in the tub and aeration of jets - otherwise has been steady at 7.4 - arm has been dry and scaly for couple of days - since adding bleach ?

Rarely is chlorine an issue and if pH is maintained I would suspect the composition of the bleach being used.

I know you are compromised in getting quality products to manage your water.

Take care.

I'f you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest retesting CYA levels. They drop over time.

With lower CYA, the chlorine is stronger.

The FC numbers you are posting don't seem all that high from my perspective though. Even with CYA at 7-15pmm, 4ppm FC shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps you just have sensitive skin. I'm not sure.

Is this a lot or ok?

Doesn't sound like a lot to me.

Thanks for the response guys, much appreciated.
Have just checked CYA and it is 30 ppm

I meant the rate of loss Ant83 not the levels - sorry, not explaining myself very well am I :rolleyes:

Wondering if I am sensitive as ingredients on safety data sheet for bleach say only Aqua is the the other ingredient present.
What difference would borates make 'if' I could get a hold of them ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.