OB starting pool in Tempe, AZ

Sambo888

Bronze Supporter
Jul 5, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Hi All,
"Long time listener first time caller." I've been hanging around the boards for a while and finally have decided to take the plunge into doing this myself. I did some searches on the site for Tempe, Az pools and didn't find a whole lot so I hope my thread will help someone else one day.

A little bit about the pool we are looking to build.
Pretty simple rectangular design w/ a few deck jets & a swim up bar area connected to a pergola. So our pool really is nothing fancy but something our family is excited to have for those hot AZ summers. Approx 18x35 foot pool. I'll post pictures of our design as soon as I can.

I do have 1 ask if folks in Az are willing to help? **Pleeeeeaze** I read a few places that most folks are happy to share their sub list, and if you are open to sharing w/ me, please PM me. I would absolutely pay it forward for future OB'ers in the area too. Also would love to get some feedback from folks on their experiences and what I should/shouldn't do. For example I am trying to decide if I should go w/ a heat pump (which costs more for the equipment) vs a LP system which would require me to have a LP tank installed. My neighborhood does not have Gas as an option. Any feedback?

Looking forward to posting more about my journey and learning from you all as I go down this path. I am very excited to be doing this myself and the lessons I'll learn.

Thanks,

Sam

All,
Was trying to attach an image but no luck. Kept getting a size exceeded warning. Its probably just me, but if I need to do something to address that let me know. Our current yard is basically a dust bowl. The previous owners never did much besides some grass so we have a good clean slate, but need to remove a few plants & 2 large trees. We are excited.

Any advice on where else I can check pool equipment pricing so I can maximize my $? Ex: Online, local?

Please offer any suggestions you may have. I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.

Thanks Kim. I don't believe I had loaded anything else. I did sign up under the link you sent. I know I've learned so much from this site and I am sure I'll continue to do so as I get to building this pool. This site has to be one of the best resources out there. I am so glad I found this before I built the pool vs. kicking myself after. :)

I'll load as soon as I get the rights.

Sam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. Here goes... Lets see if this works.

Attached is the current plan. I'll post some pictures of the backyard in its current state by end of day. Let me know what questions you have and if you have any suggestions. Excited for all your guys help.

Just as an FYI, this does not cover the "whole" yard. We have areas on both sides (left and right) of the current drawing that also will get some work done but not in the current plan & budget. :)

TFP_Share_Design.JPG

Okay here we go!!!!

Going to make sure I know the symbols----the little circles (4 of them?) are returns? One is right by the stools.

What is the V in the circle?

Is that the skimmer by the steps

What is the symbol for right by what I think is the skimmer by the steps?

The deck jets I got----------you might want to rethink the one by the stools. I would worry they might splash or the wind blow the stream onto someone sitting on the stools.

What are your depths?

Will you have lights in the pergola?

That should keep you busy for a little while LOL

Kim:kim:

Kim,
great questions. Had to do a double take too, but here are some answers....

The "V" is where the vacuum connection would be for the in pool cleaner (robot). I am not doing in floor cleaning.

Yes, skimmer is by the steps along with the auto filler. That is what is next to the skimmer.

Good feedback on the Jets, but we are thinking the jets will only be on really when no one is in the pool. Will certainly reconsider the location of that 5th jet.

Depths are 3 - 5 - 6

We will have lighting going to pergola and is somehting we've already spoken to the electrician about.

1 other thing i have questions about is my equipment. Will post that list here soon. We do want a heater on the pool but am considering holding off on it right now but plumbing (Pipe & electrical) for it and adding it in later. Besides having it in at the beginning does anyone see any other issues w/ this idea?

If you are plumbing in a port for your cleaner then it is NOT a robot. A Robot is a self contained device that brushes, vacuums, etc the pool without the use of the pool pump.

No issues plumbing for a heater. A big expense for a heater is the running of a properly sized gas line and an upgrade of the gas meter. So are you installing that now or later? The line will need to be buried from the meter to the location for the heater.

Take care.

The skimmer placement worries me with it being right by the steps. Here are my two concerns:

1)if/when someone sits on the steps they will be by the skimmer. They could block it OR their hair or bathing suit tie could get sucked into it. (not likely to happen but..........do you want to even take that chance?
2)If/when someone pops up the steps towards the sunken bar they could stick their foot in the skimmer mouth and trip.

Depths-Make sure they are water depth-to the middle of the skimmer from the bottom. 3' feet is mighty shallow. Measure where it will hit you on your body. You cannot do a crawl stroke in 3'. I would go to at least 3.5' if not 4'. This will also lessen the transitions as well.

You will LOVE having the bench where it is. I bet LOTS of people will sit there and watch TV on the patio and chat with others on the patio.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the the clarification. Not planning a robot, but maybe I should be? Will need to do some research if this is worth it. Our backyard and neighborhood has many large mature trees and I predict more organic material making its way to the pool.

We don't have gas (could install LP tanks but not in current budget) so are considering electric heat pump. I am a bit scared about that bill, but been told by the equipment vendor that HP system is quite efficient. Any experience from someone on the board here? I am trying to figure out the total cost of LP addition vs. the HP. Currently the units themselves are approx $1800 more for the HP vs LP.

Kim - appreciate the comments and the feedback. Now that you mention it, I bet moving the skimmer to the other end or the back wall might be the better option.

OK -- then electrical. Could you put Tempe, AZ in your Location. The signature is for pool specs, etc.

I do not heat our pool as my wife detests the pool covers. We use the integrated spa a few times when the pool cools off.

Take care.

Thanks mknauss! I'm trying to convince my wife of the same to skip the heater, but I guess it's a work in progress. Hate to pay so much for a "maybe" we'll need it scenario. That is why it might be cheaper for me to pay for the connection and then add later. I'll keep you guys updated.

Updated my details for location and a lamo signature (for now hopefully).

Thanks!

Does anyone know why one would need "pre-grade" before layout and dig? I am trying to figure out if I need this or is this a nice to have? Will something go really badly if i don't have this done? Will someone refuse to work if it's not done?

I have not bid this out and if needed or suggested I'll need to add to the budget.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.