Blank slate/Pool build in Maryland

wow, your decking looks great! I will be interested in finding out your plaster date as we've had a major setback at our house but PB said it wouldn't impact our schedule because plaster wouldn't be until the end of June. End of June, what???!!! According to PB everybody is backed up by 1.5 months. I'm truely frustrated.

wow, your decking looks great! I will be interested in finding out your plaster date as we've had a major setback at our house but PB said it wouldn't impact our schedule because plaster wouldn't be until the end of June. End of June, what???!!! According to PB everybody is backed up by 1.5 months. I'm truely frustrated.

The torrential rains we have been having continuously since Spring has wreaked havoc in several industries. A lot of pool work needs dry days. Best thing you can do is never turn down a date for anything. Change your plans to accommodate. I suspect you are already doing that anyway. The plaster is usually done as the last step since they fill the pool immediately after. Ours literally was the very last step we didn't see anyone after that at all accept for the equipment startup crew (whom was near useless anyway).

I agree that seed will certainly work on that slope. You can use the seed mats but they are expensive and then you don't get to choose your grass seed type generally. One trick I used when I had the exact same scenario, paved area, then steep slope being seeded was to run a single row of sod lengthwise along the deck. So that's like 18" wide. That will catch a decent amount of the water on regular rains and reduce the erosion. But I've seeded many areas on our hills and here's how I handle it. Place seed, lay straw generously. The grass seed will make it's way through. No clumps but like 3" thick when spreading. It will compact when watered. Then water every day until fully germinated, twice a day is even better. You only need to get it fully wet, not drenched. It's only seed at that point, not roots. Then as erosion happens, deal with it swiftly, back filling with dirt, tamping down, reseeding and laying straw.

With average soil, you will have good grass (but not great JimJim quality grass for the long term), but it will need regular fertilizer to counteract the poor soil. You may also want to overseed after one and then two years in the early fall. Or, put in 12" of topsoil and never have a worry! We probably seeded 10,000 SF after our pool was built. And that was after seeding a bunch for our basketball court and also after Leyland Cypress removal and last fall a flower bed removal. It all looks quite good now. Weeds will come up, but wait at least a month or more after you start mowing the new grass to spray weed killer. And be very careful if its over 90, wait versus risking killing the new turf. For new seeding now, I'd hand pull weeds and not spray until mid-September. With your luck, you'd spray and then the temp would go to 100 two days later.

On fences, I also have 100's of feet. I spray the grass to kill it, then put a mulch strip on each side to run the mower/tractor along. Occasionally trim it to keep it neat and spray veg. killer as needed until I re-mulch three years later. If I had a less formal setting like a ranch, it would just be veg. killer only.

The torrential rains we have been having continuously since Spring has wreaked havoc in several industries. A lot of pool work needs dry days. Best thing you can do is never turn down a date for anything. Change your plans to accommodate. I suspect you are already doing that anyway.

Totally hear you on that.

we didn't see anyone after that at all

I think I'm looking forward to that!! LOL

IMG_0610.jpgThis is how Skippy handled our "hill"... lots of Juniper, Wandering Jew, a couple of Yucas, and other odd and assorted things in places. THe juniper is the backbone and is great for not needing much in the way of care. Spreads really good.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks, we're pretty frustrated too. Based on the way it started, I thought we'd be swimming a couple weeks ahead of our "Memorial Day" opening. We haven't really heard any delays on the sub side, just rain beginning a month or so ago. We have no idea when the plaster is. When my wife asked on Friday he said he hadn't been to the office yet to look at the schedule. They were supposed to come to clean up the pool today but I haven't seen anyone yet and it did rain last night/this morning. It also rained on Saturday afternoon/night so I had to put the pump back in the deep end to pump the water out. That was the third time water was pumped out of the deep end.

The torrential rains we have been having continuously since Spring has wreaked havoc in several industries. A lot of pool work needs dry days. Best thing you can do is never turn down a date for anything. Change your plans to accommodate. I suspect you are already doing that anyway. The plaster is usually done as the last step since they fill the pool immediately after. Ours literally was the very last step we didn't see anyone after that at all accept for the equipment startup crew (whom was near useless anyway).

I am not holding my breath on plaster because we're supposed to have more dirt brought in. I am not sure if I want plaster done first so we can actually use this multithousand dollar hole in the ground or more grading. I feel like once plaster is in that might be the end of the project.

I agree that seed will certainly work on that slope. You can use the seed mats but they are expensive and then you don't get to choose your grass seed type generally. One trick I used when I had the exact same scenario, paved area, then steep slope being seeded was to run a single row of sod lengthwise along the deck. So that's like 18" wide. That will catch a decent amount of the water on regular rains and reduce the erosion. But I've seeded many areas on our hills and here's how I handle it. Place seed, lay straw generously. The grass seed will make it's way through. No clumps but like 3" thick when spreading. It will compact when watered. Then water every day until fully germinated, twice a day is even better. You only need to get it fully wet, not drenched. It's only seed at that point, not roots. Then as erosion happens, deal with it swiftly, back filling with dirt, tamping down, reseeding and laying straw.

With average soil, you will have good grass (but not great JimJim quality grass for the long term), but it will need regular fertilizer to counteract the poor soil. You may also want to overseed after one and then two years in the early fall. Or, put in 12" of topsoil and never have a worry! We probably seeded 10,000 SF after our pool was built. And that was after seeding a bunch for our basketball court and also after Leyland Cypress removal and last fall a flower bed removal. It all looks quite good now. Weeds will come up, but wait at least a month or more after you start mowing the new grass to spray weed killer. And be very careful if its over 90, wait versus risking killing the new turf. For new seeding now, I'd hand pull weeds and not spray until mid-September. With your luck, you'd spray and then the temp would go to 100 two days later.

On fences, I also have 100's of feet. I spray the grass to kill it, then put a mulch strip on each side to run the mower/tractor along. Occasionally trim it to keep it neat and spray veg. killer as needed until I re-mulch three years later. If I had a less formal setting like a ranch, it would just be veg. killer only.

The mats I saw didn't actually contain any seed, you seed yourself before putting them down. That is a good thought on sod for the first layer, I hadn't considered that. We're still up in the air on this, I didn't have much luck at my last house with seed so yet another reason why sod is an attractive option.

View attachment 80120This is how Skippy handled our "hill"... lots of Juniper, Wandering Jew, a couple of Yucas, and other odd and assorted things in places. THe juniper is the backbone and is great for not needing much in the way of care. Spreads really good.

Maddie :flower:

This is another thing I hadn't considered; using something other than grass. It is quite a large area. That might work well on the back side actually.

We have a big semi-circular garden bed (4K s.f.) on our far side slope - all of which is inside the fence. A portion of which is steeper than yours. Much is about the same and much is less steep. The first summer I just seeded it with grass to keep the soil in place. Worked fine. Then the next spring I began the planting task, starting with killing the grass with veg. killer, planting then mulching.

We used yucca too, a Winter Gem boxwood hedge, Herbstonne rudbeckia (6’ tall), a variety of colorful coneflowers, Stella d’oro daylillies, Big Blue liriope, hardy hibiscus, Fireworks Goldenrod, Shasta Daisies “’Becky”’ and a few one-offs. But I love landscaping so it was fun for me. And it is some work to maintain but again it’s my hobby.

We have a big semi-circular garden bed (4K s.f.) on our far side slope - all of which is inside the fence. A portion of which is steeper than yours. Much is about the same and much is less steep. The first summer I just seeded it with grass to keep the soil in place. Worked fine. Then the next spring I began the planting task, starting with killing the grass with veg. killer, planting then mulching.

We used yucca too, a Winter Gem boxwood hedge, Herbstonne rudbeckia (6’ tall), a variety of colorful coneflowers, Stella d’oro daylillies, Big Blue liriope, hardy hibiscus, Fireworks Goldenrod, Shasta Daisies “’Becky”’ and a few one-offs. But I love landscaping so it was fun for me. And it is some work to maintain but again it’s my hobby.

Thanks, it may make sense to do that as well--start with grass and then go from there. We're now at the point where I had hoped I'd be enjoying the pool instead of doing landscaping. The plan was to have the pool finished in late May and have the grass and fence done by now so I could enjoy the pool for the whole summer, but here we are.

Plaster is tentatively scheduled for 6/22. I asked if it could be moved up and the builder said that because of the rain they are behind. They are going to be doing the pool clean up in the next few days and then hopefully let the plaster sub know that we are ready if they have any cancellations. The 6/22 date is not at all convenient as we are scheduled to be out of town for several days a couple of days later so I'll either have to let the family go so I can stay home to brush, or forgo brushing for a few days and go anyway.

We are still trying to decide on plaster. I was hoping to do some sort of a custom mix with Diamondbrite instead of dye to darken it like bmoreswim did but the builder doesn't seem to normally do that and will ask the plaster company. I'm not a fan of the texture of Pebbletec (or the $$$$$$$$COST$$$$$$$$) so I was thinking this is a happy medium. It could potentially fade less, be a reasonable cost (over the big hump of the upcharge of dye), and still make me feel like I got something "special" for the extra cost over white plaster. I'm waiting on how much more than the $2200 upgrade of gray plaster over white a few bags of Diamondbrite will cost.

Also, we're having 3 more loads of dirt delivered today, grading is supposed to happen tomorrow. After that we can start seeding/sod and the fence.

Glad to hear you have a date!! We are still in no man's land.

Have you considered just going with all Diamondbrite? Not sure of the cost difference but quartz is def more reasonable than the pebble. I'm with you on the pebble finishes...it looks beautiful but I don't think I would enjoy the texture either.

Hopefully we can push the date up and you can get yours too!

We have not considered all Diamondbrite. My wife remembers him mentioning different shades of gray plaster when we met with the builder the first time but I have no recollection of it. I was pretty thrown off this morning when they called from the office to ask if we wanted “light, medium, or dark gray plaster.” Way back when we did talk about Pebbletec and other finishes but the cost was like $10k+ so I immediately tossed that idea out. I wish I would have had a longer conversation regarding finishes earlier but I guess he didn’t really ask based on my desire to keep the cost down.

We don’t want the water too dark but desire a blue with a slight green tint.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brushing while you are gone.............do you have any family members or neighbors you could trust to do it for you if you offered to pay them? You could also offer to pay the pool start up guys. Just a thought. I would hate for you to miss the outing with the family.

Kim:kim:

Nope, not really! I will ask the builder what we can do but my wife and I discussed pushing the plaster date back depending on where things fall. If the plaster goes in early next week I’ll have a week or so to “bond” with it but if it goes in on the 22nd as planned I’ll only have three days and then gone for four.

We really, REALLY don’t want to push it back but we might not have much choice.

Pool cleanup, fitting installation, and more grading were done on Thursday and Friday. A final grade was done this morning, including a lot by hand with shovels and rakes. I spoke with the pool builder on the way out and he still hadn't heard back about the Diamond Brite/Captchaos-is-crazy plaster mix question. Plaster is still planned for Friday, "worst case." We're hoping it gets pushed up. We will be able to swim the next day.

By my rough count, it looks like we'll need somewhere between 5000 and 7000 square feet of grass replaced. At least some will be sod, how much is still up in the air.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I forgot to mention is that the pool builder is willing to cover one brushing per day while we are out of town, so we'll either skip the other brushing that day or attempt to get my teenage nephews to do it--I'm not sure which one is a better idea. :D

The builder will also "baby the chemistry" at the beginning, "mainly making sure the pH is below 8." He mentioned using chlorine pucks.

LOL Now you and I both know the nephews will "mix up the water" good while they are brushing it!!! Can you say CANNON BALL!!!

I like what your PB has to say about the pH below 8. Good for him. The chlorine pucks will help with that as they do tend to push the pH down some.

That is a lot area to be covered! My back, forget that, my whole body hurts for you already!!!

Kim:kim:

Okay, I guess I could help a guy out...I'll take your plaster date and you can take mine. See how nice I am? LOL ;)

Haha! We are just going to keep the date for now but of course it looks like it is going to rain, and it rained yesterday so I'm sure that has now messed the entire schedule up again and it will naturally be done when we're out of town!

Haha! We are just going to keep the date for now but of course it looks like it is going to rain

Well in that case, you can keep it, haha!

...it will naturally be done when we're out of town!

Well of course they will re-schedule to the date the most inconvenient for you! Have you not come to expect anything less?! Haha!! Just kidding, I know your PB has been pretty darn good considering.

I guess all we can do now is just laugh about it because getting upset doesn't get it done any faster does it? We still don't have a firm plaster date, but I was told a couple of weeks ago that it will be the 'end of June', which is next week! And the weather (so far) looks good! What are our chances?! :) Tile finally going in today at our house..hoping these storms hold out until evening like the forecast said. I'll post pics on my thread probably tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.