Skimmer Question/Help?

Grumpy611

Bronze Supporter
Aug 27, 2013
North Babylon NY
Background: I've owned an Above Ground Pool for 18 years. I've never had any issues closing the pool. 2 years ago, I purchased a new pool. First year closing, decided to use a Skimmer Plug-no issues. This year used same Skimmer Plug and noticed the plug is leaking into the Skimmer as the pool water ice is thawing.

Last night, temps dropped again below freezing and as you can see by the below pics, there's my issue. The water inside the Skimmer is frozen in the bottom and expanded out the bottom hole. I had previously placed two pieces of pipe foam insulation in there as a safeguard. I am wondering if I have any potential problems with the Skimmer(cracking, etc.) the way it is now, as I've never had this happen before, so I'm a bit stumped. Is there anything else I should be doing otherwise? Thanks for any and all help/suggestions!

Grumpy, It's cold and late, so I suspect you're done for the evening. But I'm going to give this a :bump: and make a comment or two just to keep it going as you're in a tight spot right now. I suspect you have two good things in your favor though - the plumbing was disconnected allowing the frozen water to expand downward for relief, and you had the noodles inside to absorb some of the expansion sideways. I'm not positive, but I would almost tend to think that now that everything is frozen solid and expanded, if the skimmer isn't cracked now, it should be okay. The ice is as big as it will get frozen. Not really sure if it's worth trying to disturb tomorrow by running water over it to clear it out, then you'd be starting over again, but this isn't my normal area. Hopefully some northerners will chime-in shortly with their thoughts. Best of luck!

Thanks, Texas! Yes, I always disconnect the hose fitting so the drain hole is bigger. Only the bottom area of the Skimmer is frozen where it drains out, not the entire Skimmer, so I’m kind of lucky there.
In the past, with the old pool I used an Aquador and Gizmo and never had issues with cracked Skimmer—16 Years. The new pool came with a Hydrotool widemouth skimmer, and Aquador does not make a face plate for it, hence the Skimmer Plug. I think the product is flawed and may be a one time use only product, since last year it was water tight.

Is the bottom of your skimmer disconnected so the water will just drip out onto the ground?
PB must've modified their 3rd party permissions or something because the pics were showing previously. His skimmer is disconnected from the plumbing. :goodjob:

Photobucket has removed the ability to externally link as a free service. To enable this, requires a $400 subscription fee.
Thanks, I will contact Aquador directly before next winter.

My skimmer is disconnected from the bottom and once the pool ice started thawing, it made its way past the skimmer plug and started dripping out. Once the temps dropped below freezing, the skimmer bottom hole froze up.
Thank you.

holy moly that is crazy.... what skimmer plate are you using that would allow such a ridiculous amount of water to get into your skimmer. At this point you may just have to wait it out and hope. I was using the aquador and I forgot to use magic lube on it and it was dripping but it was such a small amount.

maybe when the weather thaws this weekend use a cheap sump pump and drain the water below the skimmer return.

also I can't tell from that picture but if you are using a cable & winch to secure the cover make sure it is NOT under your skimmer, it should be above the skimmer along the rail.

Thanks-the cable winch is above the skimmer under the top rail. I used the Simpooltech Skimmer Plug last year and no issues. Used it again this year and up to now it has been fine-no leaks. It’s the pressure now from the thawing of pool ice pressing against the Plug that’s causing the leak. That’s why I said that the Plug may be flawed resulting in a one time use-maybe it was distorted from last year’s use and is now unable to handle the pressure from the ice.
But let me throw this out to those folks who do not have any Skimmer plate enclosure and merely drop their water levels down below the Skimmer and leave the Skimmer bottom open. I suspect once the pool water rises and starts draining out thru the Skimmer, wouldn’t the same thing happen with the Skimmer drain hole freezing up like mine did once temps drop?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.