Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Still Green

1. Back To Top    #1

Still Green

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of the shock process this evening and just wanted to know when I might see the color of the water changing from green? Here are the current numbers..

FC 7.5 (working my way to 13)
    CC .5
    pH 7.8
    CYA 30
    TA 120

Thanks, S
    15,000 gallons; DE filter; IG; Gunite/plaster; Anthony pool - Apollo filter 52 sqft - 104gpm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still Green

A couple of days, depending on how soon you get to shock level and how frequently you test/adjust the chlorine level.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't 'work your way to 13'... use Jason's Calculator and add enough bleach to get you to your shock level all at once! If your water is green, it will use up the chlorine quickly. Test frequently and use the calculator to boost the FC back up to your shock level.

Think of it this way... you don't 'shock' a person by gradually coming up to them... neither should you shock your pool by gradually raising the FC.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm really only waiting 30-60 minutes in between...in fact it's time to test again. I'm hoping I'm at shock level now.

Thanks,
    S
    15,000 gallons; DE filter; IG; Gunite/plaster; Anthony pool - Apollo filter 52 sqft - 104gpm

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay, first of all 30 to 60 minutes is a lot of time for algae to gobble up chlorine, belch and laugh at you.

You are posting that your pool is "still green" as "you work your way up to shock level". Algae is not something you coax away. You have been advised to dose your pool adequately to begin with.

Step 1. Start your pump and Dose your pool to shock level now.
    Step 2. 30 minutes to an hour later, it could still have been consumed some by algae, so dose it again to bring it back to shock level or above.
    Step 3. Repeat step 2 until you don't see it losing to below shock level within an hour. Then change the testing time to 2 to 4 hours and repeat bringing to shock level in your dosage. Keeping pump running all the time.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

6. Back To Top    #6

OK will do.....I should have explained that I am putting in the required amount for shock level based on the pool calculator each time, and just waiting to test again.

s