Help identify random pipe to in-ground spa

Dec 13, 2017
Albuquerque/NM
Just when I think I have everything figured out after taking care of our pool/spa for the last 8 years, I find something new. This summer I started noticing some dampness in the soil near the equipment that I haven't noticed before. I start digging and find 1" PVC with a threaded end fitting, covered with decaying duct tape. It is filled with rocks/dirt naturally, and the seepage was intermittent over the summer. Recently I decided to figure out where it goes (if anywhere), so I hook up a hose and find that it is emptying into the spa. The outlet in the spa is at the level of the seat. I never knew what it was really there for, guessing it had some connection to the venturi vent system.

After I flushed it out, water was then steadily flowing from the spa. I capped it off any it is completely dry now. Attached are pictures of the equipment and spa. The pipe in question is circled in red.

What is the purpose of this line? Should I just leave it capped, or what do I connect it to for what was originally intended?

Thanks.
Equipment.jpgSpaSide.jpg

Attachments

• Equipment.jpg
    Equipment.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 59
  • SpaSide.jpg
    SpaSide.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 58
Probably was a line tied to pool return line to send clean filtered water through the spa during normal operation. Looks like it was abandoned for some reason and now water goes through three way valve back to spa. Probably need to plug off from inside spa, usually a 1-1/2" threaded plug will fit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.