most efficient and quiet 1hp or 1.5hp pool pump

boutselis

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2016
palm bay fl
I CURRENTLY HAVE A 1hp hayward tristar pump. i want to replace it and I am thinking of going up to a 1.5hp. I seem to have good flow with the 1hp but only when I keep the filter pretty clean. i never let it get to bad but unless the pressure is 15psi or lower the flow rate suffers a little. it still feeds the 3 jets and the water fall but not as vigorous. the pool is only 15 thousand gallons. Plumbing is 1.5" dia and I was thinking of powering it with solar if any one has some feed back on that also

Quietness and efficiency are more important than low cost. we love to keep the water fall on. even at night. just love the sound.

Could you fill out your signature? Helps us understand what equipment you have, how you chlorinate and test your water.
See Pool School - Getting Started

The quietest pump is a Variable Speed. At its lower speeds it is also very economical. But to power your water fall, it will most likely need to be run at a higher rate.

Take care.

"Quietness and efficiency are more important than low cost. we love to keep the water fall on. even at night. just love the sound."

In my opinion, "efficiency" implies more cost considerations, but I might suggest you are looking for performance and quietness, and cost is not the pure factor.

First, do you have automation? if so, what kind? Next, Salt or CL ? Finally, how is your pump set-up for running water fall and then only pool water? Also, size of Filtering system?

As stated. look at the 3 first replies to you and notice the info at the bottom...if you posted that it would help greatly..

"Quietness and efficiency are more important than low cost. we love to keep the water fall on. even at night. just love the sound."

In my opinion, "efficiency" implies more cost considerations, but I might suggest you are looking for performance and quietness, and cost is not the pure factor.

First, do you have automation? if so, what kind? Next, Salt or CL ? Finally, how is your pump set-up for running water fall and then only pool water? Also, size of Filtering system?

As stated. look at the 3 first replies to you and notice the info at the bottom...if you posted that it would help greatly..

I figure on recapturing the cost of a highly efficient pump over time. and seeing we run it much longer than most people do it will pay for itself even sooner. It is a chlorine pool. the water fall is just plummet into the same line the jets are on with a valve to control the amount of water flowing to it. the valve is never opened very far as we prefer the sound of large number of trickles to pouring water. there are to spill ways for the falls. one single tier and one 2 tier. highest point for the water is about 40". its a kidney shaped pool about 35 by 13 (one end is 16' wide and one end 15' wide and narrower in the center) with an average depth of about 5 feet. it is a paper canister filter. I'm not sure the size but i do remember bought a little larger than charts say I needed.

7 on average with an average

I figure on recapturing the cost of a highly efficient pump over time. and seeing we run it much longer than most people do it will pay for itself even sooner.
Then you will need a two speed or VS pump. But keep in mind, the ONLY way to make a pool pump truly efficient is to run on lower speeds. Which means the flow rates will be much lower than what see with your current pump when the filter is dirty. But the last thing you want to do is to get a larger pump so you can FORCE more water through a dirty filter. This will shorten the life of your filter.

If energy costs are the primary concern, a very cost effective option is to simply replace the current motor on your pump with a two speed. On low speed, you will save about 75% in energy cost.

Otherwise, you might want to consider a VS pump for even more cost savings (at the expense of flow rate).

For quiet, a two speed or variable speed pump is the way to go.

If you adjust your plumbing configuration, you can probably get the performance you want at very low flow.

Decreasing flow rate indicates a chemistry or dirt issue (and subsequent loss of flow rate). How often do you have to clean to keep it below 15 psi?

maybe once every 6 weeks but some times i let it go longer and the pressure stays a little over 20psi. the pool surface is fairly new. I find it helps a lot if i soak the filter in a weak acid solution once in a while

- - - Updated - - -

Could you fill out your signature? Helps us understand what equipment you have, how you chlorinate and test your water.
See Pool School - Getting Started

The quietest pump is a Variable Speed. At its lower speeds it is also very economical. But to power your water fall, it will most likely need to be run at a higher rate.

Take care.

I must be doing something wrong with the signature because I don't know why it isn't showing up. i filled it out

- - - Updated - - -

right now i am leaning towards this one
[FONT=open_sansregular]Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS[/FONT]

I must be doing something wrong with the signature because I don't know why it isn't showing up. i filled it out

In the bottom left corner of the Quick Reply box is a radio box with "Show your Signature". Be sure that is checked.
You may have to go to the website versus using an app to view the forum to achieve this.

Take care.

Can you show a picture of the plumbing?

I think that if you change the plumbing, you can get the water feature effects that you want with lower flow.

Can you describe the water features?

Do you have a swg or heater?

What filter do you have (make, model)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are having to clean your filter that often I would check for a chemistry issue. Algae can plug a filter quickly. Even algae you cannot see.

Its a haywood c1200 cartridge filter. Even with the filter reading 20+ psi the falls work. I could open that valve up more if i needed. Would a 1.5hp VS on the slowest speed be about the same as a 1hp VS on a slightly higher RPM? I just realized I never posted pictures of my pool remodel. I did the water falls myself and it came out very nice. I think the water pumps up between 30 and 40 inches to the top of the fall (Ill have to check tomorrow) . Its all 1.5" plumbing but Changing it is not an option. Its only 3 jets and the falls. the falls are metered by a separate valve I put in. With the current 1hp pump I can flow a lot of water out of the falls in sheets. we prefer it to trickle so the water is falling in like 20 or 30 separate trickles. Very soothing sound. at least it would be f it wasn't for the noisy pump. The skimmer baffle got stuck one time and the pump ran without water for at least 12 hours. ever since then its been getting louder

Can you show a picture of the plumbing?

I think that if you change the plumbing, you can get the water feature effects that you want with lower flow.

Can you describe the water features?

Do you have a swg or heater?

What filter do you have (make, model)?

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Do you have a proper test kit?

Your signature is showing now. Please add your test kit and how you chlorinate.

Not sure what you mean by that? Like the name brand of my test kit? And by how I chlorinate do you mean something like off line injector? or the type of chlorine or both

Not sure what you mean by that? Like the name brand of my test kit? And by how I chlorinate do you mean something like off line injector? or the type of chlorine or both

There are two test kits that meet the needs to maintain a TFP - the TF100 or the Taylor 2006C. You must have a FAS-DPD chlorine test kit.

On the chlorine - do you use liquid chlorine, solid chlorine (tablets), or SWCG? The daily use of solid chlorine is problematic in the long term.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

What volume is your pool? Please add that to the signature too.

Your cartridge filter is pretty undersized for what I suspect your pool volume is. That may be why you are cleaning so often, but chemistry issues can cause that too.

Its a haywood c1200 cartridge filter. Even with the filter reading 20+ psi the falls work. I could open that valve up more if i needed. Would a 1.5hp VS on the slowest speed be about the same as a 1hp VS on a slightly higher RPM?
No, not even close. On full speed, a 1 HP TriStar produces about 85 GPM. Almost any VS is going to be close to full speed to get to that flow rate. A TriStar VS 2.7 HP would need to be over 3000 RPM to hit 85 GPM. On it's lowest speed is less than 20 GPM.

Waterfalls, if designed properly, generally require very low pressure and are usually plumbed with a separate low HP waterfall pump. So I am surprised you need such a large pump and such high pressure.

Does the waterfall have it's own plumbing to and from the pump? What size did you use? Can you sketch out how the waterfall and the rest of the pool are plumbed?

No, not even close. On full speed, a 1 HP TriStar produces about 85 GPM. Almost any VS is going to be close to full speed to get to that flow rate. A TriStar VS 2.7 HP would need to be over 3000 RPM to hit 85 GPM. On it's lowest speed is less than 20 GPM.

Waterfalls, if designed properly, generally require very low pressure and are usually plumbed with a separate low HP waterfall pump. So I am surprised you need such a large pump and such high pressure.

Does the waterfall have it's own plumbing to and from the pump? What size did you use? Can you sketch out how the waterfall and the rest of the pool are plumbed?

Its not that I need high pressure. I was just trying to explain how things were working. When I was talking about the pressure I was talking about how when my filter gets up over 20psi I lose some flow. After the filter is cleaned It reads about 12psi. Everything is on one pump. The line to the falls is 1.5" and that line runs of a diverter valve patched into the line that goes to the jets. as the system stands now there is more than enough flow.

thanks for explaining the flow rate compared to speed on different pumps. I'm thinking maybe a 1.5 hp VS and just run it at the lowest speed that allows the falls to work. Would that be the way to go?

If your main return is wide open, the pump has to generate a lot of flow to make the water features work because most of the flow is going to the returns and only a fraction is going to the features.

If you want good feature effect at lower flow, you're going to have to restrict the flow to the main returns.

Its not that I need high pressure. I was just trying to explain how things were working. When I was talking about the pressure I was talking about how when my filter gets up over 20psi I lose some flow. After the filter is cleaned It reads about 12psi.
That is part of the problem. You are waiting far too long before cleaning the filter. You should clean the filter before it reads 15 PSI.

thanks for explaining the flow rate compared to speed on different pumps. I'm thinking maybe a 1.5 hp VS and just run it at the lowest speed that allows the falls to work. Would that be the way to go?
If you can't separate the falls plumbing so it runs on a separate pump, then that is probably the best way to go although you may find that you can't reduce the RPM much if you keep the other returns on. If you have only the waterfall running, then you may be able to lower the RPM even further.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.