Skimmer and Pump Basket Cracked

espinola17

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2016
Maricopa, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
What exactly causes a basket to crack? Just this week I had both my pump and skimmer basket cracks. Worst part about my skimmer basket is I use skimmer socks and I had a sock get stuck in the pipe going down last night and had to forcefully pull it out thank god it wasn’t worse where I had to call someone to unclog the lines. How Can I avoid this happening again?

Is there a particular reason you need the skimmer socks?
I agree with JamesW that a sock can crash a basket in short order. Few people who maintain pools professionally use them, mainly for that reason.
As far as your Whisperflo pump basket, you may want to replace it with the Val-Pak aftermarket version. They are tougher than the OEM basket. It also could just be coincidental that both failed at the same time.

Is there a particular reason you need the skimmer socks?
I agree with JamesW that a sock can crash a basket in short order. Few people who maintain pools professionally use them, mainly for that reason.
As far as your Whisperflo pump basket, you may want to replace it with the Val-Pak aftermarket version. They are tougher than the OEM basket. It also could just be coincidental that both failed at the same time.

Unfortunately my neighbors trees are close to my property line and even though well trimmed, the tiny pieces of leaves that blow off when I’m not home to skim wind up passing through the basket and even through the pump basket then into the filter. One is within 10 ft of the pool to the left. The other is maybe 5 ft away from the back of the pool. It truly does catch them well but if they’re a hazard then I’ll deal with it I presume as I don’t want them winding up in the plumbing lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.