Light Grouted In

So my light has finally packed it in, and I obviously want to replace it. Here's where the trouble comes in - it seems that somebody grouted the joint between the front ring of the light and the mosaic tile. The retaining screw comes out easily, but then the light won't come out of the niche (yet).

So here's the question - is there any risk in gently prying at the top of the light to break that grout line? Should I instead try and chip the grout out all the way around it first? My major concern is I don't want to make a bad situation out of a small job.

I think we REALLY need pics and good ones so we can really see what you are dealing with. Your words are great but there is too much room for error on this one. Get a couple close up as well as as a whole.

I am sure someone can help with good info (pics).

Kim:kim:

The only reason I can conceive of to grout the light ring would be in an attempt to correct a pool leak?

oh-me-oh-my,
If you manage your pool via the TFP method, an underwater camera would not be needed. :cheers:

As a fellow Canadian who is located near you I read this and was shaking my head going...."is his pool still open?" "is he thinking about the spring time and replacing it?"...then I just read your sig...indoor LOL. Good thing as that water would be hard to work in if it was outside right now! We got like 17" of snow last night...argh.

Back, with pictures!

Album link: Pool Light - Album on Imgur

The bigger issue for needing the underwater camera is the lighting, since it's dark by about 5 PM now, and the room lighting would just cause glare on the surface. Definitely been using TFP for almost 2 years, no issues there, and never a hint of cloudiness.

You can see in the top picture that it looks like they may have been a bit sloppy with the grout, and a small gap at the top. Second picture shows the gap at the top, and the grout a bit more clearly. If you click on them you can get full resolution.

The lighting really doesn't do the cleanliness of the pool justice - when people come over, I'm embarrassed if there is so much as a speck on the bottom, since the only thing that ever does get into our pool is the people we invite.

Supercanadian - yes, winter has arrived. It's amazing to be swimming on Christmas day with the snow falling. I still find (after nearly two years) that I have to go check if the pool is still there when I get home from being away, it feels like a dream.

Thanks for your help all! Hoping a bit of a bonk is all we need.

(Random thought - it appears you can see the small eddies in the water coming from the heat of the light - that's amazing)

DUDE! Are you SURE there is water in that pool??????? WOW that is nice looking tile work! Those heat vapors are neat!

Yeap it is "grouted" in. Could that be caulking? That would make it even easier if so. Bet not though.

Okay here are my ideas:

-Bonk it a time or two just to see what happens. You can use a flat screw driver BUT be very careful to not mess up your tile.

This is what I think will work the best if the bonks don't.

-razor knife with many blades to replace as you dull them
-score the grout over and over and over with the razor knife using great care to NOT break the tip or blade of the knife
-once you have been all around the light a couple/few times try a bonk or two.
-keep going until it comes out

Once you get the light out then use a flat blade to scrape the grout off the tile. Go slow to avoid scrapping that pretty tile.

Do you have a manual vacuum? This will cause some dust and stuff to get in that pretty pool.

Let us know how it goes.

My apologies for my TFP clear water comment. Clearly your water is very clear. :lovetfp:

Judging by the difference in color, it would lead one to assume it was grouted/caulked independent of tile install. Since the ring is stainless I suspect the grout/caulk is not holding on very well. A few "bonks" as Kim suggests may get it to break loose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I'm back with good news and bad news.

Turns out a very gentle twist of a flat screwdriver and the light came right out of the niche. Now the bad news - the cord is too short to be pulled above the water level.

Since family is coming for Christmas (and you know we're going to want to swim) we may have to do without a new light until a good time to lower the water level. I could pull it off if I had a free day, but there is just too much going on right now.

This does open up new options though - perhaps it's time for a full-blown replacement, rather than just a bulb. Thanks for the help!

Might just try the string thing, or even attach it to a fish tape, remove and re-fish since it's not a long run to the junction box. Any idea if there is an issue with potential leakage through the cut end of the light cord, if I pull it right back through under water?

However, like any good challenge, one problem solved is another problem uncovered. It seems I have an odd-ball light, and it seems to have been "gooped" to make it water tight by somebody in the past. Given that it's 40+ years old, it's had a good run - this may be its last bulb change.

Pictures, for those interested: Pool Light 2 - Album on Imgur

Major concerns:
- questionable sealing (not leaking, but see picture)
- unusual model (Jacuzzi Canada of some sort)
- unusual size (6 3/4 inch diameter face ring, again see pictures)

I'd love to upgrade to LED - pretty sure this is a 500 watt bulb - which amazingly uses nearly as much electricity as our 3/4 HP pool pump, when you do the math.

Thanks for the suggestions again! It's always an adventure.

P.S. I promise, there really is water in the pool ;)

I am going to give a shout out to someone that might be able to help you get a new light. Hold on a bit until he sees this.

That IS a lot of goop for sure!

Any word from lighting experts? From what I can see, 6 3/4 inch diameter is really not common... I may end up extracting the fixture, replacing the bulb with an LED and attempting a re-goop, hopefully giving a few years to research the next step.

He must be off this week. Here is were he works......Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com You can call them or email them and someone that is working should be able to help you. My contact is Patrick but sometimes Rob answers on here. You can ask for them and see if they are in. Sorry about the delay.

No problem at all! Everybody is so helpful, I'm never going to complain!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.