Designing saltwater filter system Florida

Nov 23, 2017
Sumpter Fl
Hi
new to forum - I was quoted a pool with a saltwater filter system from a local contracter and I can only assume they will install the cheapest filters and generator as possible? Any suggestion? The pool should come in at approx 20,000 gallons
thx

Welcome to the forum!

When you get a couple proposals from pool builders post up the equipment lists and pool design here and we can review it with you.

Salt Water Chlorine Generators are sanitizers - they create chlorine to sanitize your pool water.

Filters are either DE, cartridge, or sand. They filter out solids in your water, primarily dirt, skin cells, etc.

Take care!

B,

Welcome to TFP... The best resource for all your equipment questions on the web... :shark:

To go along with what Marty said above, Filter systems do not care if the pool is saltwater or not. It just does not matter to the filter..

Whatever system your pool builder wants to install, the key is to make sure it is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool. So in the case of a 20K pool the system needs to be rated for a 40K pool or more.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Great points!
ill find out the details and post it. I'm reading about all the Pent-Air pool products. I can buy them all at wholesale prices from one of my biz partners. I'm also considering solar heat on my roof , my dad has it and it works great except Nov-feb . So I'm wondering if I need to add a pool heater to swim year around?

B,

Are you planning on building your own pool? If not, most pool builders will not install your equipment. This is because of the warranty and service requirements.

My Pentair equipment has/had a three warranty serviced by my pool company. If something goes wrong, the pool builder sends someone out to fix or replace it. Your pool builder will not support it unless he buys it and unless installed by a "professional" Pentair's warranty is less than a year and 90 days in some cases.

That said, it does not mean you might be able to find a builder that will do it, so worth asking.

Thanks,

Jim R.

B,

Are you planning on building your own pool? If not, most pool builders will not install your equipment. This is because of the warranty and service requirements.

My Pentair equipment has/had a three warranty serviced by my pool company. If something goes wrong, the pool builder sends someone out to fix or replace it. Your pool builder will not support it unless he buys it and unless installed by a "professional" Pentair's warranty is less than a year and 90 days in some cases.

That said, it does not mean you might be able to find a builder that will do it, so worth asking.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was going to install my own Fiberglass pool but for a few more dollars I can have a cement pool. I may have the builder run all the plumbing and I can install my own equipment.
Many thoughts on heaters?
i heard they're expensive to buy and use? Do they really increase your bill that much?
thx

B,

Hayward, Pentair, and Jandy are the three main pool equipment suppliers..

All three have the same basic equipment with some little differences.

Everyone likes what they have of course, but it is really a "my Chevy is better than your Ford" type of thing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

B,

Well, yes he would... he is a Salesman... All salesmen are very good at telling stories.

I see no evidence that Jandy is any better, or any worse, than their competitors..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes that's kind of what I thought but one cool thing is his unit I can access everything from my phone and control the pump remote. and they can even do the programming remote. I am offI know the other guys are offering basic models.

As mentioned, all three systems are similar in function. If you like the Jandy guy for other reasons, then by all means go with him, but don't let Jandy be the only deciding factor on choosing a PB. Any PB can use any equipment and make it fully automated and mobile friendly, if they are willing.

I will say I tend to see more people here talking up Pentair's system for automation usability/functionality. Though it's is really like Apple CarPlay vs Android Auto. There is a lot of built-in personal bias based on limited experience. But none of them are a 1984 Yugo for sure.

Ok
I have the best quote yet and here's a list of what they're offering. I'm curious on everyone's opinion especially the filtration models and equipment.

16'x32' sports pool 4' each end 5' in the middle rectangle shape. All 2" plumbing 2- main drains,4 returns , 1 dedicated cleaner line and 1 skimmer

equipment
sta-rite rp150 with intellipro vsf variable speed, sta-rite rp150 cart filter
intellicolor ic40 swg, Pentair glo- bright led multicolor, Pentair dorado auto cleaner , maint kit included

smg diamond bright standard colors

includes 57' x 25' lanai with super gutter with 2 down spouts and 2 door pads , standard screen 18/14 mesh
add $1500 for open view style
and includes deck
acrylic texture with print

$40k

B,

I am not a fan of the suction side cleaners, but I would still add the plumbing for it just in case. I personally use robot cleaners.

I would want a bigger filter because the bigger they are, the less often they have to be cleaned..

The IntelliFlo or IntelliPro pumps are the "Gold Standard" of VS pumps.

Thanks,

Jim R.

A dedicated suction line can be useful when you want to manually vacuum. I have had a suction cleaner and a robot and I can unequivocally say that the robot is better....BUT, there are times when I break out the vacuum hose and manual vacuum head and clean the pool the "old school" way because it can sometimes just be quicker and easier than dumping the robot in to go chase down a few leaves or a little patch of dirt. Since the additional plumbing to the equipment pad adds only very marginal cost to the build (maybe $100 or so), it's well worth it to have the added capability.

I too have a fiberglass pool. If you are only having one skimmer, it needs to be placed in the ideal spot so that prevailing wind will help guide surface debris to the skimmer along with water currents. Luckily for us our PB determined that and it came in the perfect spot.

So ask your PB where the skimmer is to be located and check your wind pattern. Its a small thing but saves a lot of headaches I imagine.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.