Hayward SPX1070KHR Weir Hinge Issue

Nov 17, 2017
Cape Coral, FL
Hello,

This is my first time posting and I have only owned my home for about 2 months so I am a complete noob to pools but learning fast. The issue I ran into today is for installing a Hayward SPX1070KHR and I am stumped in how to go about getting this weir installed without having to purchase a separate generic weir door. The bottom hinge (SP1070-D) seems to be cemented possibly into the pool as I have been unable to move it or pull it out. The next option I was hoping to use was unscrew the hinge and use the old cemented piece with the new weir door but the bracket is completely broken up (see pic) and there is not enough of the old screw hole to use. Since it is unable to be used I did get it a good tug and it did not budge. Do I have any options with getting the old piece out so I can use the OEM part? Hoping someone has had this issue before and there is a simple fix that I cannot think of besides purchasing a universal generic weir door. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake
IMG_20171122_084256.jpgIMG_20171122_084305.jpgIMG_20171122_085343.jpg

Hello Jake and welcome to TFP! :wave: Just getting back myself, I see your post was almost 3 weeks ago with no reply. The season is a bit slow, so that may have something to do with it. I've not yet had to dig-out one of those pieces you're struggling with, so I'm not much help, but perhaps someone else will see your thread and reply. This :bump: may help with visibility. Feel free to reply back as much as needed. Nice to have you with us at TFP.

Well, based on the replacement part, it is assumed that the old part would just slide out after the screw is removed. I'm thinking that some pool installers actually cement this down. I will try to give it another go tonight to see if it can be removed. Given the 2 tabs at the bottom of the bracket, maybe it needs a push forward, instead of an upward motion.

Figured it out! This replacement part is actually 3 different parts.
1: The Weir Door
2: The Bracket plate (this is the part where the screw is shown)
3: The base where the plate sits in.

For my case, my base and bracket are still in good shape, so after removing the screw, I was able to lift the bracket out of the base. I'm still not sure how to remove the base from the skimmer. Perhaps a strong pop of a screw driver to release the 2 tabs shown at the bottom of it. Hopefully Jake figured it out.

Onward to ordering a new weir!

...adding my 2 cents to this older thread for future searchers...

If you have a Hayward 1070 skimmer assembly made before 2002, the following applies (later models are similar, but use different part#...I think they use retractable pins for weir door, not too sure)...
The replacement model from Amazon I ordered: "Hayward SPX1070KHR Weir Assembly Replacement Kit for Select Hayward Automatic Skimmers"
This is exact replacement (weir door + hinge plate + base plate) for my skimmer. The new weir door comes with the small hinge plate already attached to it, and that weir+hingeplate slides vertically into the base part (see attached pic). The above Amazon part comes with base part as shown in pic, but you will probably not use it because it's usually permanently cemented into the pool, and the old one is probably reusable. So you will only use the new weir+hingeplate. To remove old hingeplate (assuming weir door has broken off and just the plate now), look at new part and you'll see how the hinge plate slides vertically out of its location in the base. There is one phillips screw in the middle of the hingeplate that secures it to the base part. Remove that screw, then slide the old hingeplate upward toward the top of the skimmer to slide it out of its slot in the old base part. I needed to apply a little leverage with a flat blade screwdriver to get it to come loose after 20+ years of being there, but once it started moving it came out pretty easily. Then simply slide the new weir+hingeplate assembly into the same location in the old cemented-in base part and reinstall the little phillips screw. For me, this was easier said than done. I had a lot of trouble getting the new hingeplate+weir to slide into its slot in the old cemented-in base part. It's a little unwieldy because the weir door wants to float in the water, it's hard to see what you are doing because it's in a confined space, and it's underwater. I was lying on the pool deck with one arm in the skimmer top port and other arm in the side opening, and doing it mostly by feel. Eventually I gave up and tried sanding a bit of flashing off the new plastic hingeplate and put a little pool lube on it to make it slide easier in its slot. Once you get that hingeplate+weir back into its slot, reinstall the phillips screw, and you're done. Sorry this so wordy, but maybe it'll help someone to have more detail if they have the same issues I had. Based on Amazon reviews, it seems like a lot of people had no issues...the old part just slid right up and new part slid right back down in, easy, but I wasn't that lucky.weir.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Busflier
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.