First time testing

I am so glad you got the kit and used it already!! NICE JOB!

I don't see your PH though.

How does your water look?

I do see a couple of problems with your numbers. Your CC and CYA are higher than we would like to see.

Have you found and played around with Pool Math? Here is a link just in case you have not: PoolMath

I am going to share another link that has the levels we recommend for a well balanced pool:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

If you water is looking okay (no green) then this will be a fairly easy fix.

The main thing is to find out just how high your CYA is. With the CYA test only going to 100 it might be higher. Here is how you do a test to find out just how high it is:

Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

How are you adding chlorine to your pool right now? I am thinking it has been tablets/pucks. I want you to look around your area and find your easiest way to get liquid chlorine or bleach (PLAIN bleach, no pretty smells or splashless).

The pucks add CYA to your pool. The only way to remove CYA is to remove and replace water. That is why we use liquid chlorine or SWG. Here is a link to SWG:

Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

I hope I did not overwhelm you :hug: Your pool will look better than it ever has before AND your wallet will be fatter as well!

Kim:kim:

With a CH of 1125 -- you have two choices. Drain and refill or Reverse Osmosis. Both will also solve your CYA issue.

What is your fill water chemistry? Specifically pH, TA, and CH.

Take care.

You don't have a bromine pool (do you?) so you can ignore that portion of the test block.

You list your CCs as 4.... are you sure? That's a seriously high number so I'm questioning it. Either it is a testing error, or your pool is seriously dirty or you added something weird like "non-chlorine shock" to the water which shows up as CCs.

I vote for drain and refill to get off to a good start.
Maddie :flower:

A draining you will go! Use pool math to see how much you would need to drain to get the CYA down to 50.

To help with the refill please test your fill water. Don't bother testing for CYA as that has to be added (those pucks your pool guy used). Write those results down as they will come in handy when you need to add water in the future.

Have you fired the pool guy yet? That high CYA and low pH are both reasons to do so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today’s test results 11/23/2017

fc 4
cc 3
tc 7
ch100
ta 60
cya100+. Then followed Kimkats math and results are 160
cl 5ppm
ph 7.2

I think I should probably test for a few days to make sure I’m correct. Leaning towards draining 64% as suggested by pool math. I forwarded these results to my soon to be fired pool guy and asked him, “so what do you think about these results.” No response yet I probably should look into buying the tools I need like vacuum hose, brush etc. thanks again to all of you.
I feel awesome about getting my pool squared away with you all directing and supporting me!! Thank all you again and have a great thanksgiving. Your SoCal UPS delivery guy

It is up to you but your tests are pretty close to spot on I bet. I would start the drain now before you are gone from dark to dark with your job in this coming busy season for you!

I am also going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners or care givers. It is a lot of info so take it slow. It will all make sense as you use it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Wait until you see what your pool looks like when it gets balanced the TFP way. As for what your pool guy will say about the levels, yeah...........I would not even accept his calls anymore.

Time for :santa: to come to the house for the pool. LOL

I assume their is a typo on your CH result....

You should drain as much as possible. Your fill water CH I am sure is 200+ppm. Get rid of as much CH as you can. You can add back in CYA.

As far as water table, I would assume you are in a typical SCal area. Dry.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.