Gunite Pool Beginner from Sc

Taps803

Gold Supporter
Aug 15, 2017
Lexington, South Carolina
We just got finished building our gunite pool. We are located in Columbia Sc and the pool was built by Aquarian pool llc. I grew up with a vinyl liner pool in Pennsylvania and have been told I need to throw everything out the window that I know about vinyl pools. First reason, going from vinyl to gunite , and 2nd reason being in a much different climate. Chemistry is all the same right? :)

Just real quick couple of questions.

Is there a big difference between the 2 as far as maintenance? I pretty much am going to have the same setup as we had back in PA.

I'd like to buy in bulk my chemicals to have on hand. What products or brands would you recommend and where do you buy them from.

Thanks for your time. I greatly appreciate it. I attached a photo for reference. Pool is only on 3 days of being in service.

23456535_10155641970650661_1349965873237493796_o.jpg

Welcome to the forum:wave:

The basic concept (TFP Pool Care) is the same. Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Some of the parameters that we test for are slightly different in importance but the tests themselves remain the same.

You need a test kit to follow the methods we teach (either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006). By far the easiest way to start is get your kit and then report your test numbers.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

The basic concept (TFP Pool Care) is the same. Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Some of the parameters that we test for are slightly different in importance but the tests themselves remain the same.

You need a test kit to follow the methods we teach (either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006). By far the easiest way to start is get your kit and then report your test numbers.

Yes sir,

Already have done that and have the Taylor K-2006. From what I gathered so far. Its pretty much the same just different levels and amounts of chemicals..

What a pretty pool and area!

I can't wait for you to see how easy a pool is to take care of using TFP!

With you have a SWG you will not really need to buy anything in bulk. It will take care of your FC (free chlorine) needs for the most part.

I am going to share a link to help you learn the "language" of pool care:

TFPC for Beginners

Kim:kim:

What a pretty pool and area!

I can't wait for you to see how easy a pool is to take care of using TFP!

With you have a SWG you will not really need to buy anything in bulk. It will take care of your FC (free chlorine) needs for the most part.

I am going to share a link to help you learn the "language" of pool care:

TFPC for Beginners

I bought the Taylors as that is what I have used since I can even remember. I'd say 15plus years now. Only thing different is I got the 2006K

That is the best one of the Taylor kits. Good job!

It sounds like you already know most of what we could teach you LOL.

To be of the safe side I am going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners or people new to TFP care:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

I gave you all of them as I did not want to miss one you might not have seen yet.

Aidan,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool owners... :shark:

So, is your pool really curved like that or is it the camera?

There really are no chemicals that you need to stock up on, if you have a SWCG...

The way our process works, is that we test first, and the test results tell us what we need to add or buy..

That said.. With a new pool, unless your pool builder has already added CYA (Stabilizer) and salt, you will need to add them.

I'd keep a case of Muriatic Acid (MA), they come two bottles to a case. I'd also keep a bag or two of salt.

If you follow the TFP principles, your won't need to add anything else, most of the time.

Was your old pool a saltwater pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Aidan,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool owners... :shark:

So, is your pool really curved like that or is it the camera?

There really are no chemicals that you need to stock up on, if you have a SWCG...

The way our process works, is that we test first, and the test results tell us what we need to add or buy..

That said.. With a new pool, unless your pool builder has already added CYA (Stabilizer) and salt, you will need to add them.

I'd keep a case of Muriatic Acid (MA), they come two bottles to a case. I'd also keep a bag or two of salt.

If you follow the TFP principles, your won't need to add anything else, most of the time.

Was your old pool a saltwater pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the response.

The pool looks curved in the above picture because of the Panoramic photo. In my signature is a link to the build.
My old pool was not saltwater so I was buying chlorine in bulk.

I do have a few cases of Muriatic Acid as I was told I am going to need a good bit of it because of the plaster. They also gave me chlorine sticks to throw in the skimmers. The builder advised me they will not put the salt in right now as it would be a waste. They are coming back in March to do that. I also right now have a dummy cell in place of the SWG. Temperature was 31 here this morning.

Aidan,

Sounds like a plan to me, except for the sticks in the skimmer.. If you put tablets or sticks in the skimmer, please makes sure the pump does not shut off or you risk damage to the skimmer and basket.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aidan,

Sounds like a plan to me, except for the sticks in the skimmer.. If you put tablets or sticks in the skimmer, please makes sure the pump does not shut off or you risk damage to the simmer and basket.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Its running 24/7 in service mode right now. I was told it has to be in that mode for minimum 30 days because of the plaster.
We are on the 4th day of it running 24/7. Is this true?

- - - Updated - - -

They also said for right now all I need to worry about is having those sticks, Acid to lower the ph from the fresh plaster, and scrub scrub scrub....

Hey Taps and welcome!

Can you get your numbers posted in the form shown below? You are correct that pH is most critical item to manage at startup and should be kept between 7.2-7.8. May require multiple doses a day initially. Have you found PoolMath (button at top of screen)? Awesome tool to help you calculate how much of what you need to move things in the correct direction.

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.