New Build in DFW

Aug 31, 2017
Colleyville, TX
Hello! We are just getting started on a new build, so I thought it would be fun to start a build thread. Here goes nothing!

Background: our first home had a pool that was built by the previous (first) owners. It was a salt water pool with an awesome slide and we loved it, especially our oldest son (currently 4 years old). Here are a few pictures from last Fall.
N7YpKYN.jpg

fkVH1d4.jpg

Around a year ago, I came across a listing for a newly constructed home that we loved. It had everything we could ever want and, despite not planning to leave our first home for at least another three or four years, we decided to take a leap and buy it. It didn't have a pool but it had a "pool-ready" backyard. The lot size was around 0.5 acres and the backyard was relatively flat, as shown here:

Ll37EV2.jpg

2BkUeEZ.jpg

ks3onoP.jpg

We moved into our current home earlier this year and decided to wait a few months before starting the pool build as there is no way we would have finished in time to swim this past summer. But now, we are ready to start!

What We Want: We had a very firm idea of everything that our pool had to have, namely:

• Geometric/straight line design
  • Saltwater
  • Spa
  • Slide
  • Outdoor living
  • Outdoor kitchen
  • Fire Pit

While we had a strong idea of what we wanted, we had no idea how it should be implemented. This is because our yard was a complete blank canvas except for the existing main patio and a smaller patio off the media room (you can see both in the pictures above). We had ideas of integrating the two patios, or setting the outdoor living to the back by itself. We thought about combining the outdoor living and outdoor kitchen into a single space or dividing it into two separate spaces. In short, we were open to anything and really wanted the builders to take their best shot and feel unconstrained for design purposes.

The Design Process: I researched builders for weeks on here as well as a few other sites (Yelp, Houzz, NextDoor) and word of mouth from neighbors and friends. We ended up reaching out to around 10 builders in the area. We're in the middle of DFW so a handful located too far to the west or east wouldn't come out here. That left us with seven builders who came out, took measurements and came up with designs. Outside of one dud, we were very impressed with each of the designs. They were all completely different and it was fun to see how each designer interpreted our wish list above. We narrowed it down to a top three. We eliminated one of those three because the designer forgot to include the fire pit and their pool ran horizontal (i.e., parallel to the main patio). We preferred the other two in the top three that had the pool run vertically in the yard, which we never considered previously but ended up loving. Out of the top two, we decided on our PB for a few reasons: (1) we loved his design the most, (2) the cost was significantly lower than the other builder and (3) we liked our designer and the builder itself a lot and had a good feeling about them (and reviews on the web did nothing to dissuade our initial opinions).

The Winning Bid: Before we get into specifics, here are pictures of the winning bid:

DSN3zQ9.jpg

gO8LUk8.jpg

43sTaNk.jpg

FOq7DAc.jpg

PRzofko.jpg

4fNDbin.jpg

h5GCLGx.jpg

LtgkGek.jpg

The Specs:

• Pool
    • Dimensions: 41'6" x 18'
    • Depth: 3.5 ft to 5.5 ft
    • Spa: 7' x 7' (level)
    • Tanning ledge: 6' x 11'
    • Slide: 15'
    • Equipment
      • Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed pump (with a separate feature pump)
      • Pentair IntelliChlor IC40
      • Pentair Quad DE 100 Filter
      • Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU heater
      • A&A In-floor cleaner
      • EasyTouch 8 with Smart Logic
      • 6 LEDs (pool, spa, tanning ledge)
  • Decking: 1490 sq. ft. of rock salt concrete
  • Outdoor Living: 19' x 18'
  • Fire Pit: 6' x 3' x 1'
  • Outdoor Kitchen: 16' with gas grill, side burner, ceramic/kamado grill, outdoor fridge, trash drawer and storage.

Why We Loved The Design: We loved the design because it captured everything we wanted and did it in a creative manner. This showed that the designer thought long and hard about how the design would not only check the boxes from our wish list but also integrate with our house. By way of example, the outdoor kitchen actually builds into our existing main patio. The wood beam shown going into the kitchen counter is already on our patio. We really loved this idea. We also loved the separate entertaining spaces - the kitchen integrates with the existing patio, we have a separate fire pit area and then the outdoor living area. We loved the layout, including the vertical orientation. We love how open the left side is, which enables us to set up an outdoor projector with screen to watch movies from the pool. The design of the slide also blew us away. It's hard to see but there is a bench running from the spa all the way to the wall in front of the slide. We loved this feature as we like to play volleyball and basketball in the water and the bench basically functions as front row seats. We really like the grotto - it's made for two people to sit side-by-side and has a cutout in the interior wall that would allow you to put your drinks or phone down. Finally, the combined flower bed/bench seat by the slide was a great idea.

Where We Are Now: We signed the contract last week and will soon be getting started on permits and then hopefully excavation sometime in December or early January. The build should take around 12-14 weeks from excavation. We're very excited! I'll be back to update once we start making some progress. Wish us luck!

ip,

You did not say, but it appears to me your pool will be about 30K gallons.. If this is true, the IC40 will not be near big enough for our Texas summers.

Did your last pool have an in-floor cleaning system?

Make sure they plumb the pool so that you can shut off your water features when you want with an automated valve. Running your water features all the time will cause your pH to go through the roof.. Having the ability to turn them on/off with your ScreenLogic system will come in very handy.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim - the pool is around 20k gallons. It was 15.7k gallons before we asked the builder to tack on another 5 feet in length. I forgot to ask for the updated number, but it should be under 20k gallons per my calculations. This is because the tanning ledge, grotto and spa take up a significant portion of the pool.

Our last pool did not have an in-floor cleaning system but it is something we wanted to do for this pool.

The water features should be tied into the ScreenLogic system but I will confirm.

Thanks for the pointers!

ip,

20K will work... We always recommend a cell that is at least 2 x the volume of the pool.

I am not a fan of in-floor systems because you have to run your pump at high rpm for several hour for them to work properly. This is one of those subjective things.. you either love them or hate them. :p

Nice looking pool...

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

Have you considered a robot instead of the in-floor system? I am sure the robot would work much better, cheaper, and less apt to fail and if it did- just pull it up and get it worked on!

My question on the design is about the Big Green Egg.... having it so close to the wall, will it tend to discolor the brick? Just something to consider.

Lovely house and pool design.. I especially like the slide!

Maddie :flower:

It's been a while. We finally secured permits at the end of December but, due to the holidays, the crews weren't available to start on our project. The excavation crew finally came out yesterday and finished today. I was totally surprised that they finished the job in 1.5 days. Apparently we have "good dirt" that the excavation manager would pay for. Maybe they should reimburse me? :) Below are some pictures. The hole looks a lot bigger than I originally anticipated. I'm excited for the next stage. And thanks for all of the feedback so far!

9TaFmR0.jpg

JyOvHGg.jpg

DSYYeWt.jpg

eWBlp60.jpg

Small update today. Over the end of last week and the weekend, the crews did the first step of plumbing and finished rebar. A crew is back out today to finish plumbing and we are scheduled for shotcrete on Wednesday! I'm getting very excited at this stage. It seems like we're making good progress. Here are some pictures of the work:

8Nlm6qB.jpg

cfha8O4.jpg

NVxfjUD.jpg

zUTQhHO.jpg

A4V6eo3.jpg

Looking good! Such a clean dig. Pool looks huge! Do you have an estimated completion date? We are waiting for our dig. Contract signed Dec 5th. Certification came through early Jan and now just waiting for a date. We have had a lot of preparation to do to our yard while waiting. That's all done now and we're ready, so getting a bit impatient. Looking forward to watching your build come together.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Riley - thanks! We do not have an estimated completion date but the builder told us to plan for 12-14 weeks of construction. That would put us around the beginning to middle of April. However, that includes construction on an outdoor patio and grill area so I think the pool itself will be done a couple of weeks before that.

Congrats on signing your contract! Waiting for the start is the hardest part and then I feel like it starts moving very quickly. You'll be there soon :)

That's great! I think the wait's not so hard when things are actually happening. We have an expected build time of 10-12 weeks including paving, fencing etc. Hoping for an early February dig and to be done by late April with still a little swimming time before winter hits here in Australia. Love the size of your pool. Ours is very small as that's all we have the space for.

Hi! I am just now finding this thread! I love the design! So much thought was put into it!!!

Did you know about TFP while at your old house with the other pool?

Gunite on Wed?? SWEET!

I cannot get over how neat your build has been so far! Even after the plumbing and electric. NICE!

Kim:kim:

Hi! I am just now finding this thread! I love the design! So much thought was put into it!!!

Did you know about TFP while at your old house with the other pool?

Gunite on Wed?? SWEET!

I cannot get over how neat your build has been so far! Even after the plumbing and electric. NICE!

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim - thanks for the kind words! Yes, I definitely knew about TFP when we were at our first house. Right after we moved in, the pool turned green and I asked for help on here and ordered a test kit. I maintained the pool myself after that, thanks to all the helpful advice :). After that, I don't think I logged in for at least a couple of years so my original account must have been deleted so I re-registered when we started the process for our new pool.

The guys came out and finished the plumbing today, so we should be a go for gunite tomorrow. I'm very impressed with how clean the crews have been as well. Wifey definitely appreciates it!

We had a slight delay but the crew finished shotcrete yesterday! It's finally starting to look like a real pool. Here are some pictures:

BBjcdnp.jpg

Tanning ledge
B4zsC2B.jpg

Spa (with multi-level bench)
hqVkUu3.jpg

Stairs into the pool from tanning ledge
UzpKxoY.jpg

Side view of the pool (showing extended bench on opposite wall)
rIWpu2X.jpg

Grotto (which will be under the slide)
SZ8qyuq.jpg

Slide (well, not much of a slide yet but this is where it will be)
4Pnp03z.jpg

Back of the pool
l0wIUPN.jpg

Fire pit
q9tLcZk.jpg

Outdoor kitchen
jQKgCCR.jpg

Thanks for kind words, everyone! We've made a lot of progress over the last couple of weeks, in particular the last two days. First, the tile guys came in and installed the waterline tile all around the pool. Then, the coping was installed. Next, we had a team come out and start building the outdoor living. And then, they started building the fire pit, outdoor kitchen and the wall around the slide/grotto. Below are some pictures of where things stand today.

Here's the view from our existing patio:

6fIjG7X.jpg

Close-up of the outdoor kitchen in progress:

ttgbJyK.jpg

Here's the spa:

xuKR6ui.jpg

Here's the grotto (the cut-out shelves are in), which has a planter to the right:

4oJZDjo.jpg

Here's the back of the pool, the back wall of the slide is in progress:

doOWnsI.jpg

Here's a shot of the planter on the other side of the grotto:

RU3bDm0.jpg

Shot of the other side of the pool:

7APHdOT.jpg

Fire pit:

QY0KxSe.jpg

Outdoor living:

1AIBXFf.jpg

4a0jDGH.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.