New Pool Owner from Round Rock, TX

Nov 17, 2017
Round Rock
Hello all.

We moved into a new build six months ago and have a new 19000 gallon chlorine pool that was completed about a month ago. I knew very little about water chemistry then, but have done a bunch of research and have started using this site to gain more information. I figured I'd join so that I can post any future questions I may have.

So far, so good. I purchased a Taylor K-2006 and have made a habit out of testing the Chlorine and PH every morning to get a handle on this. I'm sure once the excessive heat and sun come back next year, I'll be adding A LOT more bleach regularly. However, it also gives me time to raise the CYA levels. We had a trichlor feeder installed with the pool, and I had no clue about the potential future problems and partial trainings that were involved with that. Note: should always do the ridiculous studying BEFORE the purchase! However, I've decided to get the CYA levels to the minimum over the winter with the feeder and then only use it when I am away on vacations or work and such.

Anyway, thanks for this site and the excellent information it provides. I'm sure it will be helping me out immensely through my pool ownership journey.

Thanks,

Nicosdad

Welcome to the world of troublefree pool maintenance! You sound like a quick study on the key topics. Certainly no problem to have an inline chlorinator so long as you know when/how to use it to your benefit.

Do you plan to add a SWG in the future for chlorine production? I can't recommend them highly enough for ease of FC maintenance.

Since you are new to TFP and pool care I am going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Take you time reading this. It is a lot of info but so worth it. It will all start to sink in as you use it!

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the welcome and the links.

The pool builder highly limited the warranty basically everything if we went with a SWG system, so perhaps after the warranty is up. It was too expensive to throw away a warranty. I'll look into it then. Thanks!