Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul

Breaks are always good! But, in my opinion, you are much too talented to stay out of the business. You are a rare breed nowadays - someone who actually takes pride in their work.
Enjoy your well deserved time off!

A cloudy day in SoCal....

It's been raining most of the morning and that's something I will always welcome... Unless I'm pouring concrete or doing something that the rain would cause huge issues - which is pretty much every time that I need to do anything

Maybe some more modest pools in modest budgets would be fun for a while? In and out faster than this massive job? I can only dream of finding workmen who are as skilled and talented as you and we who live in modest homes *need* some of that talent!

Maddie :flower:

I think the only major difference between me and anyone else is that I can provide this type of construction at a reasonable price. If someone was looking for a high-end Builder, there's no shortage of them - especially in Southern California. In fact, I can't even compete with some of the luxury builders in in this area compared to what they can offer.

The only thing that sets me apart is that I do a bulk of the work myself which is not smart, not efficient, and not very lucrative for me but if I was to sub out the entire project the price would be so astronomically high that I don't see why anyone would choose me over someone who would be completely dedicated to the project full time.

I'm pretty sure from the time I started the plans until now it's been 6 months on a project that realistically could have been done in less than 3.

The trouble with doing more average type projects is that there are a ton of builders here that can undercut me due to the volume of projects that they're able to turn out. I don't have that ability nor do I care to because to me those jobs are extremely unsatisfying and unfulfilling. As ridiculous as it sounds I would rather lose money on a project like this but be able to be proud of it at the end as opposed to turning out generic products that anyone can do.

I've said it before but my dream job would be to have a TV show where these projects were completely funded and I just get to have my way with the homeowner's backyard without any input, opinions, or advice :crazy:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Matt, if you recall earlier you were talking about the 10in of embedment depth for the post anchors in the shotcrete columns, well I'm bored waiting and started flipping through the calcs and noticed that they say the pull out strength for those brackets is 173,250 pounds.... I would guess to wager that there's no chance of that type of uplift Force ever being imposed on this structure.... and that's with 2500 psi concrete. The shotcrete core sample came back at 5450 PSI

Matt, if you recall earlier you were talking about the 10in of embedment depth for the post anchors in the shotcrete columns, well I'm bored waiting and started flipping through the calcs and noticed that they say the pull out strength for those brackets is 173,250 pounds.... I would guess to wager that there's no chance of that type of uplift Force ever being imposed on this structure.... and that's with 2500 psi concrete. The shotcrete core sample came back at 5450 PSI

SWEET CALCULATIONS!!!!

I have a new job for you - TFP resident construction geek!!! If that fails, I have a GoPro video camera, a YouTube channel and dream of being a STAR!! You and I can be like Cheech & Chong with our own show - I’ll smoke awesome meat creations on my Big Green Egg and you fix up my house with your construction expertise all while yelling at me for all the stupid things I say & do.

I’m thinking at least 10 or 20 followers on YouTube easily!!! We’ll totally monetize our channel !!

SWEET CALCULATIONS!!!!

I have a new job for you - TFP resident construction geek!!! If that fails, I have a GoPro video camera, a YouTube channel and dream of being a STAR!! You and I can be like Cheech & Chong with our own show - I’ll smoke awesome meat creations on my Big Green Egg and you fix up my house with your construction expertise all while yelling at me for all the stupid things I say & do.

I’m thinking at least 10 or 20 followers on YouTube easily!!! We’ll totally monetize our channel !!

I'm in! We start tomorrow

You never know when Paul Bunyan might show up and not like it ;) I originally thought maybe it was at the end of the airstrip at March Field.

Thanks for the calcs. That's interesting :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.