Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've already posted my first post, looking for help. But Leebo asked me to post some background about me. Here goes...

I'm looking forward to becoming an active member here. I'm convinced doing this myself is the way to go, more so after finding this site. Hopefully my first post will "pass inspection" soon, 'cause I need help right away (of course)!

I bought my current home about 2.5 years ago and inherited a 4-year-old pool. Never had a pool before. Decided to leave 100% of its care to the previous owner's guy, let's call him B (as in BRAT). One of the biggest outfits in town, I figured I could trust him. First couple of years were OK, though there seemed to be a big turn over in staff. New service guys all the time. I wondered what kind of experience each new guy might actually have. But the pool looked OK, so I had more important things to worry about.

But when the moving dust finally settled this year, I started upgrading the pool. EasyTouch, ScreenLogic, new vacuum and IntelliFlo. Cool stuff, though I was a bit put off by the "system" Pentair and dealers have in place. Your choice is no warranty vs exorbitant markup. I chose the latter. That first upgrade went well. I had some concerns about the installer B sent me, and then later about the knowledge of the weekly guy tweaking everything to optimum. It was then that I first started noticing some, shall we say, lack of understanding of the products I was sold. Worse offense was the sweep. It was now suction, converted from pressure, and just wasn't working as well (contrary to B's advice that "suction" is better). Oh, well.

Then I started thinking that the stinging I was feeling on my skin the day or two after B's weekly servicing could be minimized by going saltwater. B concurred. And they were happy to sell me the generator, etc. While they were at it, I wanted them to install an activator that would switch between skimmer and vacuum, hoping that both would improve by running independently. I felt the "shared suction" was compromising both.) They came out to check the water chem for the salt system and determined that it needed to be changed (too much solids? or something). So, trusting to the "pro" I said OK. Next advice was "since it's going to be empty, lets blast the tile and acid wash the plaster. It'll look great." That sounded like needed maintenance to my virgin ears, so I said "yes" to the acid (but "no" to the blasting, as each was $900 and the acid was all I could afford on top of everything else!).

So they upgraded the system, emptied the pool and washed the acid. Next thing I see is the owner of B in my yard talking to his crew. I go to investigate and complete horror ensues! Short version: they burned though the plaster in about 20% of the pool, right down to the plaster's aggregate, and fried most of the rest of it (pock marks and etching). B tried to claim "not our fault" due to some defect in the plaster. My position is: I don't care if my pool was made out of cheese, it was their responsibility to use no treatment (acid type/strength/duration/neutralizer, whatever) that would harm the plaster to that degree. They could have tested a small patch first. They could have done small sections at a time and stopped when the problem first happened. Nope. They blasted the whole thing before they spotted any damage. How is that even possible? How is that not B's fault/responsibility? He disagreed and basically walked off the job: didn't finish the system upgrade and wouldn't repair/replace the plaster. So we'll see how that all shakes out in court.

Meanwhile, my plaster continues to come apart in the following weeks, and I know I'm going to have to have it replaced, regardless of who's going to pay for it. I hire a plaster guy (PG) to replace the plaster. I go with his micro pebble, and try to recreate the Tahoe Blue plaster color from before, which I absolutely loved. That all went down last week. So far the pebble looks great. The color is perfect (I hope it won't morph too much, as I understand new surfaces can do the first few weeks) and now I'm in the middle of "start up." When B ran out on me, I hired a "new guy" (NG) to take care of the pool. So PG and NG have worked together before, so I figure the handoff between plastering and start up would go well. Well, Day 1 was last Thursday, and Friday, Day 2, was the holiday. NG got the pump going, sold me some new filter cartridges, tested the water and did a cursory brushing. That was it. PG and NG both vanished for the weekend, and I was left with the internet and a test kit to figure out how to handle these next most important days of a pool surface's life! So when I found TFP, and started understanding their underlying pool philosophy, suddenly everything clicked. Something I mostly already knew (from other remodel projects), but didn't want to face about my pool: if you want it done right, do it yourself. Fire everybody, and figure out how to care for my pool myself. And so here I am!

I like the sound of BBB. The logic of putting in only what is absolutely necessary, and doing the work instead of relying on shortcuts, chemical or otherwise, just makes too much sense. I know I can do this at least as well as the millennial dufuses that B sent me! I did use Leslie's this weekend to double-check my test kit. Again, all new to all that. But I've only bought their M-acid and CYA. Chlorine from Lowes. Nothing else so far has gone into the water. I'm fighting a slight TA spike, and trying to keep chlorine and pH in range while doing so. I think I'm doing OK, using MA and my idea of aerating. But it's pretty scary "learning" on a $9000 pebble job on top of a $70000 pool!!

Hat in hand here, any and all help most welcome. I know what I know, but what I know most is that I don't know it all! Not to proud to learn, not too proud too beg. Looking forward to working with you all!!

Cheers!

Last edited:
:shock: BLASTED holes in your plaster?????? I bet they were having a meeting "how do I live through this???" kind of meeting!

You are going to LOVE how your "new pool" looks AND feels once we get done with it!

I would love to see a pic of the "blasted" pool and the new pool!

Kim:kim:

Well, welcome to TFP Dirk! Happy to have you with us.

Which test kit do you have? Is it one we endorse? It has (I mean *HAS*!) to have the all important FAS-DPD chlorine tester which tests chlorine up to 50ppm. If you don't have that let us know.

We don't use that term "BBB" anymore as folks mistakenly thought they *had* to buy/use all three items (Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda). In actuality you might only need one.... so until we know don't buy a mess of anything. :goodjob:

I'll be interested in following your pool story in the appropriate forum. Again, welcome to TFP! Life just got EASIER!! :kim:

Maddie :flower:

Dirk,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all pool owners who have suffered through a Millennial Dufus Attack (MDA)... :shark:

One of the best Intros that I have ever read.. :p You should fit in just fine here...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hi Kim, Maddie, Jim! I'm feelin' the love!! Thank you.

Maddie, I ordered the K-2006. I've been using the previous owner's leftover cheapie, looking forward to the real deal (comes tomorrow). That's why i'm using Leslie's free testing to double check. We've been pretty close. But I'm still struggling with reading the colors. I "do color" for a living, but in print and website work. Comparing colored liquid to little plastic swatches is new to me and going to take some practice.

I'm still learning what "BBB" means, and doesn't mean. I understood you can substitute other safe compounds, and that you might not need them all. And I am determined to use as few of them, and as little of those, as I can. I love the aeration trick. That's the kind of simple, natural solutions I'm after.

Jim, thanks for the kind words. This site uses a lot of acronyms (I have to look up a lot of 'em). Maybe "MDA" will stick! ;)

Kim, I'll try to attach some pic's for you. I have hundreds (for my court case), but what really happened to my plaster doesn't show up too well in a photograph. Unfortunately for the guy that did the damage, the re-plaster guys managed to save me some good-sized chunks of the ruined plaster, so the judge will have no problem understanding what happened and how bad it was.

The first image shows some pocks left by the acid. This is a very small sampling, but one of the better pic's. Those were all over the pool, in larger and smaller variations. But there were areas the size of 15 square feet that are nothing but those pocks, mostly much bigger and deeper. The second pic, the round, grey shape is a 6" hole the guy made with his grinder/polisher gizmo in an attempt to sand out his damage. All he did was finish the job he started by grinding right through the plaster's cream down to the plaster's aggregate. Uh, how is that the plaster's fault, guy?

And the third shot is my new pool. It looks great. Those are my aerators sticking up. How'd I do? They seem to be working. I can get more spray/bubbles out of them if I crank the pump, but I'm trying to balance my "ROI" (pH increase vs electric bill).

Thanks again for your comments and encouragement. I'm looking forward to next summer, when my pool will be gorgeous, I'll have learned how to keep it that way, and this phase of my "life with a pool" will be behind me!

Dirk

Attachments

• pocks.jpg
    pocks.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 202
  • grinder.jpg
    grinder.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 201
  • aerators.jpg
    aerators.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 201
Oh what pretty pool and area! LOVE the sprinklers! VERY WELL done!

Here is what I am going to do. I put together a set of links for "new pool owners". I really think you should have this set since you are a "new pool care giver"! It is a lot of info but if you take it a bit at a time it will start to sink when when you use it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:hug: what an adventure you and your pool has been on!

I'm working two threads. I think I remember seeing an option for email alerts when there is a new post. But I think only one of my posts is doing that. Can I turn that on somehow? Where is that?

Here ya go:

-Settings (upper right hand)
-General settings (middle left hand
-Messaging & Notification (upper middle)
-Default Thread Subscription Mode-Pick the one you want.

I use the through my control panel only option as the email one cause WAY too many emails.

I then go to the forum section to My Search Links. Subscribed threads is in the middle. That will show you all of the threads you have made or replied to. You can click on the blue arrow to take you to where you left off.

Let me know if this helps or if I need to break it down even more.

Wow Dirk - quite a story! It is going to be hard for someone to beat it - sad to say.

You have found the place to be able to move forward and very easily manage your own pool and have crystal clear water. Most of us become "pool snobs" pretty quickly. All of a sudden swimming in a non-TFP managed pool is "yucky".

Get your test kit and post your numbers and we can help guide you. You will not have to wait until next summer to have a beautiful pool. Your new plaster will thank you for getting the chemistry right now and maintaining it.

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA - would be 0 unless you added stabilizer

Note the aerators will drive your pH up fast (along with the new plaster). Keep a close eye on pH and keep below 8.0. Might take two MA adds a day to keep it in check. Once we have your TA value we can better direct you on pH value to target but generally 7.8 is good in a SWG pool.

Keep the SWG off, no salt, and no wheeled vacuum for 30 days.

Right now is the most critical time for your new plaster so ask questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here ya go:

-Settings (upper right hand)
-General settings (middle left hand
-Messaging & Notification (upper middle)
-Default Thread Subscription Mode-Pick the one you want.

I use the through my control panel only option as the email one cause WAY too many emails.

I then go to the forum section to My Search Links. Subscribed threads is in the middle. That will show you all of the threads you have made or replied to. You can click on the blue arrow to take you to where you left off.

Let me know if this helps or if I need to break it down even more.

Ah, just what I was after. The default setting for future threads and the way to alter existing threads. Perfect. Thx. And your "Subscribed threads" tip was very helpful, much easier!

Thanks!

Wow Dirk - quite a story! It is going to be hard for someone to beat it - sad to say.

You have found the place to be able to move forward and very easily manage your own pool and have crystal clear water. Most of us become "pool snobs" pretty quickly. All of a sudden swimming in a non-TFP managed pool is "yucky".

Get your test kit and post your numbers and we can help guide you. You will not have to wait until next summer to have a beautiful pool. Your new plaster will thank you for getting the chemistry right now and maintaining it.

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA - would be 0 unless you added stabilizer

Note the aerators will drive your pH up fast (along with the new plaster). Keep a close eye on pH and keep below 8.0. Might take two MA adds a day to keep it in check. Once we have your TA value we can better direct you on pH value to target but generally 7.8 is good in a SWG pool.

Keep the SWG off, no salt, and no wheeled vacuum for 30 days.

Right now is the most critical time for your new plaster so ask questions.

Yah, I'm feelin' the love from here, for sure. I'm getting more confident each day, but I still have a lot to read and learn. Yes, I've had a rough spell, but when it's all done, I'll have a new pool and I'll be able to take care of it myself. S'all good.

I have my K-2006 now and I'll be posting the full set of numbers soon. Just tonight I got:

FC = 5
CC = didn't test
PH = 7.5
TA = 150
CH = didn't test
CYA - didn't get a good test result, but I've added a gallon to 12300, so it should be around 30

I have a consensus about the SWCG, so yah, I'll leave that off until spring. One less thing to learn for now.

Regarding the vac... It's a Rebel, so it's got gnarly wheels. I was concerned about it, so called the plaster guys. Office guy said it was OK to use, and their website, which posts specific startup Dos and Don'ts, clearly states vacuum is OK for pebble, but a no-no for plaster. I have pebble, so it's been running now, 2 hours in the morning, for several days. As I had the drains removed during the re-surfacing, and have converted returns to bubblers, I'm counting on the vacuum to pick up any stray plaster dust and help with circulation. Thoughts?

I'm aware that this is a critical time. And I've been whining about the plaster guys kinda dropping this important period into my lap. Weekly maintenance company was useless. I've already fired them. So it's just me and TFP! I'm feelin' pretty good about it so far, with all the help I've been getting (I'm having most of my conversation about start up in another thread.), but it does make me more than a little nervous to be learning all this stuff during such a critical time. My consolation is: I'm convinced I can learn it fast enough to out perform the knuckleheads from my previous maintenance company, who wouldn't give a doink about my pool or its future anyway.

More test results soon... I'm gunna jump into LSI next, because the plasterer's NPC Startup Card makes a big deal about it. So I'll be looking for help with that, too. Is that the same as Pool Math's CSI? Here's the card, LSI is on page two.

That is a good start up card.

As far as the LSI I opened that link but it did not have a second page so I could not find the LSI. My gut says it is the same thing as our CSI. That is VERY important for the plaster.

You have already outdone your past pool care givers in having a good test kit and knowing how to use it!

When you go to add the CYA make sure to put it in a sock (like you wear......you get extra points if it is a cute sock LOL) and hang it in front of a return with the pump running. You can squeeze it to help it dissolve faster.

Are you brushing your new plaster? If not please start doing so.

That is a good start up card.

As far as the LSI I opened that link but it did not have a second page so I could not find the LSI. My gut says it is the same thing as our CSI. That is VERY important for the plaster.

You have already outdone your past pool care givers in having a good test kit and knowing how to use it!

When you go to add the CYA make sure to put it in a sock (like you wear......you get extra points if it is a cute sock LOL) and hang it in front of a return with the pump running. You can squeeze it to help it dissolve faster.

Are you brushing your new plaster? If not please start doing so.

Most of my startup conversation is in another thread, so you're jumping into the middle (and welcome!).

https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...d-to-auto-fill-and-new-plaster-start-up/page2

Pool School says LSI and CSI are used for the same thing, but LSI is a somewhat simpler, perhaps less accurate, index. I'm going to try to keep both of them happy.

Here's the correct link to the NPC card:

http://mmgtx.com/docs/STARTUP-by-NPC.pdf

I've already added CYA. I used liquid, and ended up staining my brand new plaster by doing so. :( Learning curve... I tell that story in the other thread. It's not bad, and only shows up in the right light, but it's a reminder to slow down, read directions, be cautious. I haven't performed a successful CYA test yet, but based on the gallon I threw into my 12,300G pool, I'm likely at around CYA 30.

I'm doing well with FC and pH and TA tests. I'm pretty confident with those. I've got a handle on FC and pH levels. TA continues to challenge me. I'm using the MA/aerate method, which is working, but slowly. Leslie's reported TA 260 originally, but who knows. I've watched it drop since I started testing. I'm at about 150. Marty said to leave that alone for a while, until pH stabilizes. I said I would, but part of me sees it as a challenge!! I want that 80 that I'm after!!

I am brushing the new surface every day. But I actually have micro-pebble, not plaster, which was acid washed as part of its installation. I've yet to see even the smallest puff of plaster dust off it, but I'm brushing it anyway. I'm also brushing after each acid-add to keep that off the bottom (especially since the CYA stain debacle).

So I'm coming along. Tomorrow I hope to do the full suite of tests, including tests of the street water and my filtered soft water, so I'll (we'll) have a good base reference...

But I work two jobs and care for small children part time, so pool startup has been creating havoc for me just now. But the pebble is new, so it can't be put on hold. That's why I'm studying still at 4:11AM!! Gotta hit it, more tomorrow...

That is a great idea, there should be. If there is a comprehensive list, I don't know where it is, other than this one that explains the shortcuts they all use here for the various pool chemical levels. Short of that, just ask anyone that uses any others and they'll translate.

SWG = Salt Water Generator
PB = Pool Builder
OB = Owner Builder

Start working your way through Pool School and a lot of what's in the forum will become more clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.