Pool light always leaks

fwb

Jun 8, 2017
Las Vegas
My pool light always leaks and trips the breaker. I take it apart, clean it, let it dry out, install a new gasket, follow youtube guides to seal it back up etc, but it's never lasted more than a month or two (sometimes less). Any last recommendations before I replace the whole thing ($$$) ? The label says "American Products. Series 7884xx, 7844XX, 7894XX." It's probably from 1994 when the pool was installed.

Also, any recommendations for a new fixture replacement? The whole design -gasket, wire ring, steel face plate- seems absolutely awful. Surely there is a better, leak proof, design out there.

It may be not be the gasket but the epoxy potting where the wire/cord comes into the back of the light fixture. At a possible 23 years of age, it would not surprise me if the cord is compromised. If that is the case, it’s still a fatal failure that requires pulling a new light fixture. Just remember to cut and use the old cord as your pull line for the new cord.

Does your wiring come up to a junction box near the edge of the decking or does the wire go all the way to the equipment pad? If there’s a nearby j-box, you might check the wiring there as well.

Standard incandescent halogen lamps are fairly bulletproof-proof and your least expensive option. Color changing LEDs are all the rage these days but, at nearly $1,000 a pop, I question the cost versus longevity issues.

Hi FWB,

I would agree with JoyFul Noise at an age of 23 years it would probably be best to replace the entire light fixture. I really like the PureColors Color Changing LED Light Fixtures as there in the $400 - $500 range. The other good thing about the PureColors Lights are if the bulb ever goes bad it is replaceable ($150 Range), where most of the other LED Pool Lights use an LED Board and if the Bulb/Board ever goes out then you need to replace the enitre light fixture.

Thanks Meadow How are you liking the lights?

Thanks Meadow How are you liking the lights?
Unfortunately, our pool is being work on. But in the interim, I replaced the bulbs, soaked the fixtures in a bucket full of water to test for leaks. So far so good. I am enjoying the light show in a bucket. :party:

Thank you for asking. It’s a pleasure doing business with INYOPools with their excellent customer support.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.