Jun 8, 2014
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I'm so confused because I've never let this happen! I've been ill and my pool and DE filter is black. I don't know where to begin to get it clean to close it for winter and I need to do it fast since it's starting to freeze here. I'm afraid to run my pump and filter because it's filthy black and green. I know I need to test the water first, but stuck from this point on. Could someone please give me step by step instructions on how to go about this process? I can't wrap my head around the order of things since my pump and filter are in the equation. I've looked everywhere for answers on how to do this. I'm gonna cry. Thank you for any help you can give me.

I know I need to test the water first, but stuck from this point on.

You already have started the process. Test the water and report back with results. First and foremost, backwash your DE filter and tell us where your pressure is. Then, after testing bring up to SLAM level and maintain it there. You must keep the filter on 24/7 until the water clears up and you pass all 3 tests. Also, you must continue to maintain the SLAM level at all times. Backwash as necessary and add DE powder as necessary. Each time you backwash, some of the powder will be removed. I have a sand filter, so hopefully someone else will chime in on adding DE to a filter during the SLAM process.

Are you familiar with the SLAM process? What are your levels? Let's start here. Thanks!

If you wish to clean this pool up prior to closing, you will need to add some CYA and SLAM Process.

However, did you have a recent CYA test that indicated you had some in the pool? Have you added any lately?

My concern is you may have ammonia if the pool is as bad as you state and the CYA is now zero.

Let us know -- there is a process to eliminate the ammonia.

Take care.

That filter is going to need to be baby sat. It will need to be cleaned often.

CYA was good but it's not anymore! I will start SLAM and add CYA for now. I'm hoping there isn't ammonia either. Thank you! I will keep you posted.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not even home right now. I have tomorrow all weekend to baby sit and clean the filter. Thank you!

CYA was good but it's not anymore!

That is why I asked! If CYA has rapidly diminished, then ammonia is likely. AND - if you add more CYA, then you will create MORE ammonia which will take HUGE amounts of chlorine to get rid of.

When was the last time you tested CYA and what was the reading?

That is why I asked! If CYA has rapidly diminished, then ammonia is likely. AND - if you add more CYA, then you will create MORE ammonia which will take HUGE amounts of chlorine to get rid of.

When was the last time you tested CYA and what was the reading?

We had a high of 15 last night and I ran the pump all night. I drained the filter and got some of the water out of the pool this morning but it's not far enough below the skimmer. I don't have the strength or energy to continue. I'm going to have the pool taken down. I'm ill and I can't take care of it anymore myself. Everyone wants to swim in it but don't want to help. Now I have the problem of figuring out what to do with it and how I get it taken down and removed. Thank you for all the help you all have given me through the years and I will continue my Smile.Amazon donations because you are all awesome!

We understand your concerns and frustration, and I am sorry to hear that you are ill. It is a shame that the pool has to come down, but maybe give everyone one last chance to help out. Clearing up the pool now is easier than in the spring. Once your pool is clear, it will be extremely easy to maintain if you follow TFP protocol.

Hopefully you do not give up. Good luck and keep us posted!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.