Thinking of switching from DE to cartridge - opinions?

jb

Jul 2, 2011
North Texas
Thinking of switching from DE to cartridge. Currently the pool waste is not plumbed to sewer, so when backwashing, the DE goes to a seperator tank. Its an awkward arrangement. I am wondering if I should switch to a cartridge system for more trouble free operation plus never having to mess with the DE again. I wonder if my hayward DE filter is possible to modify to a cartridge? Or do I need to buy a new filter housing also? Any input appreciated.

You will need a full new unit. Plus some plumbing modifications.

If you provide the type and size of your current DE filter, a suggestion on size of cartridge can be made.

Can you put a location in your Settings please?

Take care.

jb,

The pool at my house has a cartridge filter just because the city will not allow a DE filter unless you can backwash to the sewer. It would have been difficult to connect my filter to the sewer, so I went with cartridge.

It works well, but I believe that the DE filter gives the water a more polished look.

I have two rent house with DE filters... For me, the maintenance is almost identical. I no longer backwash.. I just tear down all three filters and clean them twice a year. It takes me about as long to clean the cartridge filter as it does the two DE filters. Adding the DE is a little hassle, but not near enough for me to replace them... :p

I have VS pumps on all three and they run at about 1200 rpm, making the filter pressure less than 5 lbs. on all of them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You might backwash, 3 to 4 times a year... you might break down the de filter once a year...

The maintenance would probably be the same unless these cartridges are magic.

What’s the separator (I am guessing this is where the pain is).

Thanks Guys. I'm in North Texas. Well maybe after reading these I should stick with the DE. The separator tank is a pain. This is at a rent house too. I don't think I could go 6 months between backwashing though, I think my pressure would be too high. I'm guessing VS is a variable speed pump? Could you shed some light on that? Even after I clean grids I am usually in the mid teens on pressure.

jb,

Do you have a DE filter or a Sand filter.. Your signature says Sand...

You can run a VS pump at a low rpm, which reduces the amount of pressure it takes to push water through the filter. One of the DE filters is a 48 sq. ft. model and the other is a 60 sq. ft. model.. They start off at about 4 or 5 psi and it takes about 6 months for them to get up to 10 psi. That is a higher % of increase than TFP recommends, but it works well for me.

One of the pools had a separation tank when I bought the house.. I just removed it... When I do my twice a year grid cleaning I just hose the dirty grids off right in yard and wash the old DE into the grass.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thinking of switching from DE to cartridge. Currently the pool waste is not plumbed to sewer, so when backwashing, the DE goes to a seperator tank. Its an awkward arrangement. I am wondering if I should switch to a cartridge system for more trouble free operation plus never having to mess with the DE again. I wonder if my hayward DE filter is possible to modify to a cartridge? Or do I need to buy a new filter housing also? Any input appreciated.
I would keep the DE. If sewer connection is too complex (usually you can just add a hose connection to the drain cleanout), then maybe a french drain or cistern?

The quality of DE or sand with DE is just simply superior to a cartridge system.

I would make DE work.

jb,

Do you have a DE filter or a Sand filter.. Your signature says Sand...

You can run a VS pump at a low rpm, which reduces the amount of pressure it takes to push water through the filter. One of the DE filters is a 48 sq. ft. model and the other is a 60 sq. ft. model.. They start off at about 4 or 5 psi and it takes about 6 months for them to get up to 10 psi. That is a higher % of increase than TFP recommends, but it works well for me.

Thanks. I have DE. Not sure how/why I got that signature, I don't remember ever filling one out. Never had a sand filter. This thread is about a 20k gal rent house pool I have. My pool is larger at 45k gals. The VS pumps interest me. WHat brand model do you have? Would you mind sharing I may research those. How many hours a day do you run it for?

- - - Updated - - -

I would keep the DE. If sewer connection is too complex (usually you can just add a hose connection to the drain cleanout), then maybe a french drain or cistern?

The quality of DE or sand with DE is just simply superior to a cartridge system.

I would make DE work.

The separation tank is ok when it works. But it runs with a lot of pressure and then when done you need to empty it out into the trash which makes quite a mess and cleanup. At my personal house it backwashes to sewer and it is significantly easier. I just thought for a renter, the cartridge might be easier maintenance wise for them to do/ keep up with.

jb,

All three houses have the IntelliFlo variable speed pump. The two rent houses have the normal one, but at my house the pool builder installed the one with the SVRS Option. It sucks, and not in a good way... The SVRS option restricts the lowest speeds and gives off false "entrapment" errors a few times a year, making it a PIA...

Here is a link to the good one... Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018

I use this pump because all three houses have an EasyTouch automation system. Without automation you are free to choose whatever pump fits your needs.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just thought for a renter, the cartridge might be easier maintenance wise for them to do/ keep up with.
I strongly recommend against leaving any maintenance to your renters. I change out my A/C filters for my renters because it gives me a legitimate reason to poke my head inside the residences every so often and because they have no incentive to change them. If it breaks, I'll be the one paying for repair. I would never trust pool maintenance to my tenants.

Few comments:

Jim R wrote: "I have VS pumps on all three and they run at about 1200 rpm, making the filter pressure less than 5 lbs. on all of them." The lower the pressure from pump, the lower the pressure on the filtering system, the longer it will last.

Next, I concur 100% on doing all the proactive and monthly maintenance on rental houses by the owner, not the renter. Do the math: 12 - 24 - 36 AC filters is WAY cheaper than a new coil, condensing unit and/or blower plus labor; same principles apply to pool equipment and pool chemistries.

Finally, whether DE, Sand, Cartridge, it all starts what comes back to and makes it thru the pump basket. One of the most proactive things you can do is incorporate "hair-nets" into your skimmer baskets. This simple investment slams-home the "an ounce of prevention is worth a 'ton' of cure" like no other example I can find. They are micro filtering devices, very water permeable and way tougher than you think...I change mine every 5-7 days.

On other thing, the more you standardize on your pools set-ups, the better economies to scale get on the buying of supplies and minimizing the need for time, money and resources. Just ask SW Airlines.

Good luck, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.