Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added CYA and....

1. Back To Top    #1

Added CYA and....

Added my CYA via the sock method two weeks ago. Tested my level this morning and the black dot is still easily visible at 30.
    According to the Pool Calculator, adding 4lbs. 9oz. (which I did) should have gotten me to a level of 40. I'm thinking it's somewhere around 20.
    There have been a few rain showers that may have added an inch or so to the pool.
    I have not cleaned my filter or anything either.
    I guess I should add more?
    24' Round AGP | 13,600 Gallons | Waterway Cartridge Filter | Waterway 2 Speed Pump | K-2006 Test Kit
    100% Trouble Free Since The Baqua Conversion

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added CYA and....

The first thing I would do is check the bottle of stabilizer and make sure it's close to 100% Cyanuric acid. If it's lower than that, then that and the rain might explain why the concentration is lower than expected.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

sounds like it. did you check the concentration of cya? also, make sure you're shaking (turning back and forth) the mixture for 30 seconds before pouring it into the view tube.
    as you know we've had tons of rain this year in this area, and my cya hasn't budged. however I did recently make the mistake of not mixing the container for 30 seconds before pouring it into the tube, and it showed my cya as 50. I was so excited until I did it again the correct way and it was still 70.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

I shook it for 30 secs like the directions indicated.
    The CYA was 99%. It was from Leslie's.
    Should I add more, or give it more time and recheck next week?
    24' Round AGP | 13,600 Gallons | Waterway Cartridge Filter | Waterway 2 Speed Pump | K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

2 weeks is plenty long enough. although I would bring water to leslie's and pinch a penny (or another leslie's, whatever) and get it verified just cause high cya is such a big deal.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Good idea, I'll have them check it for me and save my reagent, then go from there.
    Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, Leslie's told me that my CYA was only around 10.
    How can that be?
    I know we have gotten some substantial rain, and my kids do splash, but I didn't think it would lose that much.

8. Back To Top    #8

don't know what to tell you. did you add it via skimmer and then clean the cartridge or something?

9. Back To Top    #9

No. Cartridge was brand new. It was directly after my Baqua conversion.
    Added it in a sock in the skimmer.
    Don't know. I guess I'll just add more and see what happens.

10. Back To Top    #10

All I can tell you is that I no longer buy my CYA from Leslie's due to the exact same problem.

The last 2 years I have bought it at our local family owned pool store and haven't had any more issues with it not showing up on the test. Might be worth buying it somewhere else.
    22,000gal IG, Lazy L, vinyl pool - 1.0 HP Pentair Whisterflo - DE filter - Blue Pearl Robotic cleaner - Glowbuoy - BBB only!

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had this happen.
    I purchased some today from a different store. Adding it now.

12. Back To Top    #12

Great! Hope it works better than the last batch! Let us know.
    22,000gal IG, Lazy L, vinyl pool - 1.0 HP Pentair Whisterflo - DE filter - Blue Pearl Robotic cleaner - Glowbuoy - BBB only!

13. Back To Top    #13

I had similar issue 2 months ago. CYA was at 50 .... wanted to raise it to 70 ..... pool calculator estimated 2 lbs to do the job. waited 1 week ... tested ..... didn't budge. waited another week ..... tested ...... didn't budge. added another 2 lbs (from same CYA container as before) ..... waited 1 week .... BAM! ..... 70!

can't explain it other than to say the calculator is a "starting point" ...... everyone's pool is different .... use TFP.com and all the good advice here and eventually you will know the ins-and-outs of your pool like the back of your hand!
    12K gal PebbleTec, 1.5 HP 1-spd P2RA series Sta-Rite pump, Hayward cart filter, Pool Pilot SWG, spillway, no heater, sunny, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

Also the CYA test itself is only good to about +/- 10. A range of 50 to 70 is actually still (just) within the test sensitivity.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

15. Back To Top    #15

Just a quick update:
    I added 3lbs. of Aqua Chem Stabilizer from Wal-Mart 2 days ago. It dissolved a lot faster than the Leslie's brand out of the sock.
    After just 2 days, the pool store (not Leslie's) is telling me that I'm at about 45ppm CYA. I also confirmed this with my test.
    I'm convinced that Leslie's stabilizer is junk, or at least the tub that I picked up.