Lots of Plaster in my Polaris bag - new pool started up past 30 day plaster install

Trele6

Silver Supporter
Aug 5, 2014
Katy, TX
So my 30 day wait time to start using the robot has passed and I now have it in the pool and cleaning for two hours a day everyday.

I notice the little catch bag is always full of a sand/plaster combination.

Is this normal or is my cleaner hurting my plaster somehow?

Did you do any vacuuming with a manual vacuum during the start up? If not I think you are picking up all of the dust and stuff that did not get brushed up and filtered out for whatever reason. How does the plaster look and feel?

Kim:kim:

We did do some vacuuming and lots of brushing. When inside the pool walking around it doesn't feel gritty. Because of that I was a little shocked to continually get this plaster in my bag each day. I figured it was just the leftover dust the first time, but to get virtually the same amount every other day has me worried it might be something else.

I will tell you that we have a "seasoned" member that got a robot late with his pool. He was VERY surprised with how much "stuff" it picked up. He just thought his pool was clean before! I wonder if that is what you are seeing?

Is it windy where your pool is? Dusty?

Well that does change things a bit.

Okay so you have been on TFP for a while. Lets start at the beginning and act like you are brand new here okay?

When did you get this plaster?

Did you do the start up of the new plaster or the person that applied the plaster?

Share a current set of test numbers. Have you had a hard time with any of the levels?

SWG-did you start it up right away or....?

Once we get this starter questions answered I will pull in some others to see what they think.

This is a new gunite pool build. Plaster was installed Sept. 21st.

My PB did the start up of the plaster with me occasionally brushing.

Had heavy rain yesterday so I didn't test by my last results from just a few days ago were:

FC 1 (having a hard time keeping this from being low) I assume it is 0 today after heavy rains.
PH 7.5
TA 80
CYA 80
CH 350

SWG has not been started and no salt added to pool yet.

I think we may have found it BUT I do wonder with you saying it is blue like your plaster........I wonder if it is dead algae dirt? With you having a hard time keep the FC up I think you are killing algae on a daily bases. Just keeping one step ahead of a full blown algae storm. With your CYA up at 80 your FC needs to be MUCH higher.

By now you really should not be seeing that much plaster dust. Have you done an overnight test lately?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.