Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Strips

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Strips

Do the Aquacheck test strips work and are they OK for daily testing???? Total noob here!
    22.000 Inground Vinyl-2 years old
    Hayward EC75 DE Filter
    1 1/2 Superpump
    CL200 Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Strips

They aren't the best way to go. What chemistry are you wanting to test?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by TRazzNJ
    Do the Aquacheck test strips work and are they OK for daily testing???? Total noob here!
    Not in my opinion....
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

They are very inaccurate and difficult to interpret. Back in the day when I used strips, my CYA read at 30-50 when in reality it was well over 100. I don't trust them.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I need to accurately test for free chlorine, Cyanuric acid and PH. Why can't I find the TF100 kit for sale on the internet??
    Hayward EC75 DE Filter
    1 1/2 Superpump
    CL200 Chlorinator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by TRazzNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I need to accurately test for free chlorine, Cyanuric acid and PH. Why can't I find the TF100 kit for sale on the internet??

Try this link! http://www.tftestkits.net/

Hope that helps,
    Gordon
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks , Just found it...I was searching Taylor and TF100.........Doh
    Hayward EC75 DE Filter
    1 1/2 Superpump
    CL200 Chlorinator

7. Back To Top    #7

Add your pool specifics to your signature. It helps people in answering any questions you may have. Another person from the (uh-Humm ) great garden state.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

8. Back To Top    #8

I made the mistake of buying these test strips last night. At first glance, they seemed to be just what I wanted. When I saw that there was one test for bromine AND chlorine, I started to get suspicious that I wasted my money. When I read the insert, which stated that bromine is not suited for outdoor pool use, and that the ideal bromine levels are around 3 ppm, never going above 10... well, that pretty much put the nail in their coffin.

9. Back To Top    #9

?
    the oto drop test is for chlorine and bromine too. they're tested the same way.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

The problem with test strips is not that they can read bromine, but that the ranges they offer are often to wide to be truly useful. The CYA test, for example on my old strips can be either 0, (called "Low"), 30-50 (called "Ideal"), 100 (called "OK" even though that should be called "Drain 1/3 to 1/2 of your pool water"), 150 or 300 (both called "High" where it ought to be called "Drain and refill until you get down to 50 and stop using the pucks you idiot".

The Free Chlorine level can be 0 (called "Very Low" should be called "Add chlorine right away"), 0.5 (called "Low" should be called "Add chlorine right away"), 1 (called "OK" should be called "Add chlorine right away"), 3 (called "Ideal" should be called "Ideal if CYA is 20"), 5 (called "High" should be called "Ideal if CYA is 40"), or 10 (no comment but is beyond what they called high and should be called "Ideal if CYA is 100")

The other values are equally useful.

All that said, I still will use them when I am too lazy to get out the TF100 test kit since my CYA is now in the ideal zone and therefore the minimum FC for me is 3 which is right in the middle of the range. When it gets to 3 I know exactly how much chlorine to add and I tend to overshoot.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

11. Back To Top    #11

Bromine and chlorine are tested exactly the same, only the scale is different. Bromine readings are aboue 2.25 as high as chlorine readings for a given color swatch on a test, be it strip, tablet, or liquid reagent and whether it is DPD or OTO (not sure about Syringaldazine)

12. Back To Top    #12

yeah, I was totally wondering about syringaldazine myself.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    yeah, I was totally wondering about syringaldazine myself.
    it is used in the FACTS method (free available chlorine testing with syringaldazine) and also in many test strips. If the strip changes to shades of purple for the chlorine test this is what it is using. If the chlorine test changes to shades of red it's DPD and if it changes to yellow through green it's a variation on OTO.