Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral VX 7T
Hi all

here down under with swim season comes mozzie season :(

Is there an efficient way of getting rid of those unwanted guests?

i was thinking of surrounding the pool area with Tiki torches or similar but I’ve read mixed reviews about their efficiency.

Thanks all

I don't know if there is truly a great way to get rid of those pests. We have lots of professional services here in the Southern US that spray chemicals, but I don't want that in my yard. I've heard citronella plants work well for a small area.

We get a lot of wind so almost no mosquitoes at all but lately we have had a bunch of yellow jackets. I think we disturbed a nest somewhere and may call in a professional to deal with it. Killed around 25 the other day. Best thing for them is a plate of honey. For mosquitoes don't leave any standing water at all anywhere is about the best you can do. But that is just you, if others do, you'll get them.

I have using Bifen XTS for years. I spray about every third week and no mosquitos!! I have also noticed that I have no fire ants either. I have recommended it to several friends who have had similar results. I use it in a pump up sprayer.

lhttps://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bifen+xts&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=174229307166&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17238458209921765831&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026759&hvtargid=kwd-4212226786&ref=pd_sl_2g8fzxv3oz_e

We have a lot of palms and vegetation in our yard and got a monthly service for the first time this past summer and was AMAZED at the difference- not one mosquito bite all summer vs my kids getting mauled previous summers

The best solution is some big, quiet fans in your seating areas. Mosquitoes can't handle any strong breezes and fans will keep them away from you.

Citronella is ineffective (per Consumer Reports) and sprays only last until the next windy day since mosquitoes just ride along with the winds.

Unless you can keep it from raining so they can't breed! :D

we live on acreage near a shallow river so mozzies are rediculous
when we moved in it looked like the removalists were doing the macarena
i bought the skeetervac off amazon
https://www.amazon.com/SV3100-SkeeterVac-Mosquito-Eliminator-Coverage/dp/B00134MOUG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509144291&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+rhino+skeetervac
this is absolutely awesome.
within a couple of weeks went from not being able to go outside and constantly spraying inside to seeing maybe one mozzie when gardening all day
the bottle thread is different so will need a bit of modifying for australia
an 8.5kg bottle lasts about a month

we live on acreage near a shallow river so mozzies are rediculous
when we moved in it looked like the removalists were doing the macarena
i bought the skeetervac off amazon
https://www.amazon.com/SV3100-SkeeterVac-Mosquito-Eliminator-Coverage/dp/B00134MOUG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509144291&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+rhino+skeetervac
this is absolutely awesome.
within a couple of weeks went from not being able to go outside and constantly spraying inside to seeing maybe one mozzie when gardening all day
the bottle thread is different so will need a bit of modifying for australia
an 8.5kg bottle lasts about a month
Just to add a note to your conversation.... we've used listerine in a spray bottle for the last few years (cheap version) and it has worked very well... we also live in aus... Melbourne to be exsact.. this tip we picked up of the internet... there were a few other ingredients like bicarb of soda and white vinigar mixed well... but we found it left white marks every where.... so we tried just the listerine and it worked a treat.... no mozzies in our pool and entertainment area at all.. and i only sprayed once at the start of the swim season... hope this helps.

Just to add a note to your conversation.... we've used listerine in a spray bottle for the last few years (cheap version) and it has worked very well... we also live in aus... Melbourne to be exsact.. this tip we picked up of the internet... there were a few other ingredients like bicarb of soda and white vinigar mixed well... but we found it left white marks every where.... so we tried just the listerine and it worked a treat.... no mozzies in our pool and entertainment area at all.. and i only sprayed once at the start of the swim season... hope this helps.

I need further explanation... did you spray this on yourselves or the grass and foliage in your yard?

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need further explanation... did you spray this on yourselves or the grass and foliage in your yard?

Hey Maddie.
Definately don't spray it on yourself....
We sprayed on the paved areas around the pool and around the entertainment area paying particular attenttion to the entrances to the house.
As its summer here at the moment.... and i sprayed about 4 weeks ago... the little buggers are around the other side of the house.. but not on the pool side... winning.

Hey Maddie.
Definately don't spray it on yourself....
We sprayed on the paved areas around the pool and around the entertainment area paying particular attenttion to the entrances to the house.
As its summer here at the moment.... and i sprayed about 4 weeks ago... the little buggers are around the other side of the house.. but not on the pool side... winning.

I read this to Skippy and he said its a neat idea, we're gonna try it. Thanks :)

Some places are releasing genetically modified mosquitoes to kill off large numbers of mosquitoes.

Maybe check with your local government to see if they can get some genetically modified mosquitoes to release.

I used Lawn Doctor's service this year (4 treatments) it definitely helped a lot. They are interesting bugs. Seems they only travel 50-100 feet from where they breed so if your yard is big enough a perimeter spray will help a lot. I think I'll do what you did rphpool this year. Lawn Doctor wasn't cheap and I assumed I would need an expensive motorized sprayer. Since it works with a pump sprayer that makes it an easy choice to try out on my own.

Some natural plants have been shown to keep mosquitoes away - Lavender, Marigolds, Citronella Grass, Catnip, Rosemary, Basil, Scented Geraniums are the popular ones Google search recommends. There is a restaurant near us which has planted Rosemary all around the outdoor seating area. It provides a decent (small) hedge separating the parking lot from seating - although it gets a bit wild and unsightly if not trimmed - I haven't been bit by a mosquito there. (and I am typically a mosquito magnet)

I am using service this year in TX, he does my lawn already so I trust him, he uses Bifenthrin and a shrub and tree machine that coats in a specific way. Charges around $60 a treatment. We will see how it goes. I will probably spray March, April, May, June and then see how the bug life is.

Most mosquito companies use Bifenthrin and a mist backpack. From what I am told, their coverage is pretty bad.

Mosquito Magnet. I have been using them for years. Only downside is you go through a propane tank about every three weeks. I actually hooked up two of them to my underground tank and my yard is pretty much mosquito free. You can get them at Home Depot for around $350.

I spray my yard with Bifenthrin every 3-4 weeks and takes less than 20 minutes. Costs about $40 per season.

Bifen IT

using this, which is what one season from Mosquito squad costs (and what they use)

SR 450 Backpack Sprayer

works great on mosquitoes and ticks!

Oh yea...also found thermocell works pretty good. Between spraying the yard and using thermocells, even my wife will avoid all mosiquito bites...and they love her

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.