Sand in Pool help!

Kurt/Shelley

Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2017
Valley Springs CA
Upgraded our filter pump to the Intex SF70110-1 2800gph system. Followed all the directions and thought maybe the hub assembly had sand inside, checked that, backwashed and rinse but there was still sand in the clear drain sediment window. So took all apart today, emptied all the sand, cleaned the hub assembly and checked for cracks. Put all back together and rinsed the sand really well till water flowed clear coming out tank drain and now during the backwash there is still sand in the drain window. Doesn't clean out on rinse so I took it off, cleaned out sand and on rinse it is clear. Wanted to see if there was anything else to check prior to turning to filter. Going to use a sock over the outlet to check for sand.

Thanks,
Kurt

My old Intex sand filter would always spit out a bit of sand on backwash (and leave a bit in the sight glass), but I never noticed any substantial amount of sand in the pool itself.

Came home this evening and the pool was full of dirt, what looked like sand and backswimmers, must have been 40 or so. When I turned on the pump this morning there were no backswimmers in the pool.

My numbers tonight
FC 6.0
CC 0
CYA 40
PH 7.4
TA 60
CH 140
Pool temp 66

Why so many backswimmers?
I checked the pool outlet with the sock and no sand.

Are you confident it is dirt in your pool and not dead algae?

Odd that the sock got no sand in it but there is stuff in the pool.

Take care.

Took a few pictures tonight and it looks like dirt but maybe it is algae. There were at least 100 backswimmers in the pool also. Added bleach to SLAM level and will check FC in the morning. What I am not understanding is my FC numbers are around 6.0 +/- every night so why the algae? Had this same issue a few weeks ago also.
Thanks for all your input, as always appreciated.

Pool3.jpgPool2.jpg

If your FC dipped below once or twice during a hot, sunny day you might have invited a small party of algae. You got the FC back up and that is what is keeping it at bay. I would hold it at SLAM level for a few days. That should also help with the bugs.

Let us know what the over night test shows. We will go from there.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.