Overflowing pool - questions

Hi
Was refilling pool after some evaporation, and left the garden hose on for too long (doh!) and pool overflowed for a few hours. Level didn’t go over coping as water ran under coping into garden (assume some gaps in grout). Standpipe was fairly full (but pool was much higher). It’s a fibreglass, salt water pool. Questions: would the water chemicals do any damage to coping grout? Also would the water under shell do cause any damage to shell?

For record I’ve since emptied water from standpipe and then reduced pool level via backwash/rinse/waste.

Thanks

The only think I would worry about is if the water was able to wash any of the dirt/sand/stuff used to back fill around the pool. Keep an eye out on the coping and decking with that in mind. IF you see it starting to sag or crack then you know what the problem was that caused it. Was there any one spot that got more of the water overflow?

My pool tends to overflow in the winter/spring before it is uncovered as snow and rain accumulate through the mesh cover. Hasn't caused any issues.

That you know of wayner. It's very common for damage to result from overflowing, the problem is, it's hidden until something huge happens.
I guess you are right but I don't see how my situation is any different than anyone else with a mesh cover. Wouldn't every pool overflow in the winter, assuming enough precipitation, unless one actively pumps water out? And I actually cover late and uncover early compared to many in the area.

However this likely isn't an issue for Aussies - by the way, congrats on beating the All Blacks.

It's all part of responsible pool ownership, I check my pool for the water height often and if needed a simple garden hose siphon will remove that excess. I lower my water to an inch below returns. If above average fall rains before the snow and ice, I do the above, if not I open with the water half way up my skimmer.

I have never done this and, perhaps I am deluding myself, but I think that I am a very responsible pool owner who keeps a close eye on things. I know that most of the folks that I know that have a pool would never think of draining their pool in the winter - but they outsource all pool maintenance to a pool service company.

Why do you keep the water below the returns? Aren't the returns plugged when the pool is closed for the winter? Therefore why does it matter if the water level is below the returns or 1" from the top of the pool - assuming that you care about the pool overflowing?

I don't know if this matters for in-ground vs above ground but my pool is in-ground.

Every footprint in every unique geo setting, not just climate, but soil type, plays into this equation IMHO.

For chemnut in Maine, with snowfall it likely makes sense to lower below returns to avoid overflow.

For me in Mich, in a high water table, with a FULL PERIMETER DRAIN around the pool and a sump plumbed to my pump, I need to leave the water high for extra pressure against water table to avoid liner float. I've never overflowed, but if I did, my concrete slopes to the drain so one part of the problem would be avoided, plus I have a cover pump regardless.

Friends of mine in Southwestern Ontario in clay soil with no drainage likewise are better served leaving the pool full as they have a history of the liner floating when it isn't.

Wayner, in your case, your overflow could be eroding your substrate unbeknownst to you, or it might not, but if you wanted insurance you could simply pop a cover pump on top of your mesh liner during spring melt to avoid any potential problems, or pop it on for a few hours anytime there's enough rain to raise the level higher than you want -- if you prefer not draining on close. If nearby liners have a history of floating, you're better off with the extra pressure of the higher water level.

Those are very good points that you make. My backyard, where my pool is located, slants away from my house to a ravine at the back of my house. When the pool was built they had to put a retaining wall and gravel fill. So I don't have to worry about standing water as it will drain towards the ravine at the back of my property. This where I pump my water as well when necessary.

FYI - was closed for the year last Friday and the water was drained down a few inches below the returns, as is always the case.

I too drain once or twice during the winter to lower the water level to about 8" below waterline tile. Never allowing it to be on the waterline tile while it might freeze. Late season I let it rise. Then top off at opening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.