Replacing old waterline tile

Oct 19, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hello,

I understand that it would be easier to replace the waterline tile while you are getting a pool refinished. But is it impossible to replace dated pool tile (in pretty decent shape, just pink:)on a pool that has a newer aggregate finish on it with nothing apparently wrong with it?

I'm taking on such a project for my father in law, hope I'm not in over my head! My plan was to use a diamond grinder and neatly cut a straight line at bottom of tile, remove tile, smooth as needed, apply a waterproof/isolation membrane, set new tile with epoxy thinset, grout with epoxy grout, use flexible sealant where new porcelain tile(installing that too) coping meets tile. I realize it will take some time to do it precisely, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

Hi! So glad to see you here! You know I want to see that pretty pink tile! LOL

You can replace the waterline tile for you Father-in-law. Since you are doing it you know you will use great care.

I say go for it!

Here are some tips to help keep the water clear as you know stuff will get in the water.

-Tape plastic to just under the tile and put a pool float (small one) under it to help hold it up. This should catch most of the stuff.

-put a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket AND put a t-shirt or such in the basket to help catch what does get in the pool.

-have a manual vacuum ready so you can vacuum up anything that falls to the bottom.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: SnoNoMo
Welcome to the forum:wave:

No need for the waterproof membrane. No need to use epoxy thinset or grout (which in my opinion is a PITA)

Simply prepare the area as you have outlined and then install the tile. The polyurethane "expansion" grout does need to be used where the deck tile ties into the coping tile.

I have floated a 4x8x1/2 sheet of insulboard underneath the work to keep ANYTHING from entering the pool.

Thank you so much for the replies, I'm going for it! Didn't realize you can just use normal thinset/ grout. Insulation board is a fantastic idea. There's some step trimming involved, and the pool goes to 7'- so I was thinking of just having the pool guy empty it for me.

Depending on the water table in the area the pool is in it might not be a good idea to empty the pool. If there is any water under or around it the pool could "pop" as in heave out of the hole :shock: Does not happen often but better safe than sorry!

You can get a cheap submersible pump from Harbor Freight or a friend might have one laying around to use to pump some of the water out of the pool.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.