New Heater Smell

TxBwana

Silver Supporter
Mar 23, 2017
Plano, TX
Well, we got our heater replaced when we resurfaced our pool in May. Fired it up for the first time to warm up the pool (it had previously been turned on to be checked only for a few minutes after installation). Noticed a smell like plastic melting/burning and shut it off (it was warming the water). Is this normal? Have a call into the guys who put it in but just wondering if anyone has any ideas in the meantime. (Oh, and I installed ratproofing as soon as it was installed)

thanks

New heaters have a smell until oils and other stuff all burn off. Mine took a few hours but now there is no odor.

Sniffing all that carbon monoxide and CO2 coming out of exhaust is probably making you hallucinate...I think the manual says something about not breathing in exhaust fumes [emoji848]?[emoji6]

I distinctly remember my unit giving off a “burnt” odor at startup...it went away so I figured it was either from some machining oils or a crispy charred rat...either way, I did not worry about it...

Thanks, everyone! That confirms what I found on the internet... would be nice if the heater instructions warned you! ;)

And no, my rat proofing isn't made out of plastic... it's the kind widely recommended on here-- the MK rat proofing kit!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.