Do you ever shutoff a variable speed pump?

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I understand the concept of cycling the entire pool contents daily for a clean pool, but is there any real reason to ever shutoff a variable speed pump? I have mine running 24/7, at about 750 rpm for 20 hours and 1700 rpm for 4 hours for the booster pump (polaris). Reason I am asking is that I plan on purchasing a Salt Water Generator and attempting to do some mental math on pump durations.

Thoughts?

Many people run their VSPs 24/7. I don’t, but many do. At speeds below 1000rpm , the power draw is roughly equivalent to a light bulb.

P,

I am currently running three IntelliFlo pumps 24/7. Usually they run at about 1200 rpm to ensure the SWCG flow switch is closed. So far they have been running between three and four years. So far so good.

I'll let you know in about 10 years if I ruined them or not... :p

I'm pretty sure that it will take more than 750 rpm to close most flow switches, but it really depends on the pool plumbing configuration.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you for the reply. I am going to take some guestimates whether at 750 it'll close or not (probably not but I don't need the chlorinator to run 24/7 either)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.