Lbs per day to gallons of chlorine, and run times, electrical costs?

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Attempting to calculate my pool need and convert the lbs/day to what my pool actually takes (looking at the Circupool models).

From my estimate, a LB of chlorine is "roughly" equal to about a gallon of 12% chlorine.

Assuming a chlorinator can produce 2 lbs of chlorine a day if running at 100% (2 gallons of chlorine), and assuming the pool demand is about 1/2 a gallon a day...

The unit would have to run at minimum 6 hours at 100% per day to produce the 1/2 gallon needed by the pool

Or 12 hours at 50% to produce the 1/2 gallon per day.

Or 24 hours running at 25% to produce the 1/2 gallon.

This is assuming the unit produces 2 lb/s of chlorine gas daily.

If the unit is producing 3 lbs of chlorine gas daily at max, you can reduce the runtime to 4 hours a day at max to produce the 1/2 gallon.

Is my guestimate about right?

Also is it better to run the unit at max for shorter times, or at lower power for longer times? Is there a difference in electricity (and if there is, is it significant).

Reactions: prasadkm0204
Your guesstimates look right to me.

The electricity will be the same (within some minor error) whether the unit is on 100% for 4 hours or 50% for 8 hours.

The most advantage of your SWCG at 100% is to run your pump shorter times.

I run mine so my pump runs when the sun is on the pool in the spring/summer/fall here in the desert. So the most my pump runs is 7 hours per day. I adjust my SWCG % around that. But you can do as you like.

Take care.

Perfect answer.

Ok so I could the swg for 6 hours a day at 100%, have my variable speed run at a higher speed during that time, and the electrical cost should be.. well pretty much the same.

Appreciate the help.

P,

Your numbers look pretty good to me...

In my mind, the answer to your question about run time is dictated by the type of pump you have. If you have a single speed pump, then the best option would be to run the cell at 100% and the pump for the shortest possible time.

If you have a VS pump, then I believe it makes more sense to run your pump as slow as possible (and still close the flow switch) and set you percentage back to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

From the cell's point of view, it does not matter. A pound of chlorine is a pound of chlorine, no matter how long it takes to produce it.

I personally like the idea of adding chlorine to my pool a little at a time, vs. dumping it in all at once. But that is just me, I'm pretty sure the pool does not care one way or the other.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Attempting to calculate my pool need and convert the lbs/day to what my pool actually takes (looking at the Circupool models).

From my estimate, a LB of chlorine is "roughly" equal to about a gallon of 12% chlorine.

Assuming a chlorinator can produce 2 lbs of chlorine a day if running at 100% (2 gallons of chlorine), and assuming the pool demand is about 1/2 a gallon a day...

The unit would have to run at minimum 6 hours at 100% per day to produce the 1/2 gallon needed by the pool

Or 12 hours at 50% to produce the 1/2 gallon per day.

Or 24 hours running at 25% to produce the 1/2 gallon.

This is assuming the unit produces 2 lb/s of chlorine gas daily.

If the unit is producing 3 lbs of chlorine gas daily at max, you can reduce the runtime to 4 hours a day at max to produce the 1/2 gallon.

Is my guestimate about right?

Also is it better to run the unit at max for shorter times, or at lower power for longer times? Is there a difference in electricity (and if there is, is it significant).
Have you seen this calculator?

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/122980-SWG-Run-Time-Calculator

No didn't knew it existed. Thank you for the link.

Just trying to confirm what PPM calculates out to (or how to figure out how much 1/2 gallon of 10% chlorine is in a 30,000 pool. )

Just trying to confirm what PPM calculates out to (or how to figure out how much 1/2 gallon of 10% chlorine is in a 30,000 pool. )

See PoolMath. Down towards the bottom is Effects of Adding Chemicals. Be sure your pool size is input on the top left.

Take care.

P,

Your numbers look pretty good to me...

In my mind, the answer to your question about run time is dictated by the type of pump you have. If you have a single speed pump, then the best option would be to run the cell at 100% and the pump for the shortest possible time.

If you have a VS pump, then I believe it makes more sense to run your pump as slow as possible (and still close the flow switch) and set you percentage back to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

From the cell's point of view, it does not matter. A pound of chlorine is a pound of chlorine, no matter how long it takes to produce it.

I personally like the idea of adding chlorine to my pool a little at a time, vs. dumping it in all at once. But that is just me, I'm pretty sure the pool does not care one way or the other.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

:goodpost:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.