Replace dead motor or entire Sta-Rite pump?

Oct 18, 2017
Pflugerville
[FONT=&quot]Hi,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First of all thanks for any and all input. I currently have a Sta-Rite Max-Pro P6RA6G-207L 2HP Pump and the motor has died. The current motor is a B855 originally owned by A.O. Smith and now the motors are being built by Century Electric. The motor has died and I need to replace it but I am wondering if I would be better off replacing the entire pump versus just the motor. The new motor + O ring kit is around $260 if I want it shipped fast. My pool is only about 10,000 gallons and has an old Sta-Rite 2 filter system which runs at 19-21 PSI as long as I don't have the solar heater turned on. I have a booster pump for the cleaner. I also have a solar heater system that sits on my roof which is very high (26ft from ground), so the pump has to move water quite far which is why I assume they put in a 2HP motor. Lastly, I live in Texas and the motor gets quite beat up by the sun/heat. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I don't know what considerations I should explore when determining the right time to upgrade a pool system.I am by no means an expert but I do I like to learn and repair things myself. Again, any input or advice is welcomed and appreciated.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Josh[/FONT]

Welcome to the forum!

When you say the motor died, what exactly do you mean? Sometimes the start capacitor on a motor will fail and that may be the only thing that needs to be replaced. If it is difficult to manually turn the impeller shaft, then it is likely the motor bearings. If the motor just hums when turned on, it could be the start capacitor.

But yes, you can usually just replace the motor but when doing so, I usually will recommend replacing the motor with a two speed motor.

I went outside and recognized that my pump wasn't running and I found the breaker off. I turned the breaker back on and when I turned the pump on, the motor popped, smoked, and sparked.

Do you have recommendation for a 2 speed motor? Should I be able to find one that will connect to the Sta-Rite Max-Pro P6RA6G-207L Pump.

Hi Jdpool86,

As far your replacement goes, I would replace just the motor and you have 3 options for replacement, which is a single speed motor, dual speed motor or variable speed motor. The single speed will be the least expensive up front and the dual speed a variable speed are more expensive up front but will save you a ton on your operational costs, with the variable speeding saving you more on operational costs then the dual speed.

For the Single speed option you would require this USQ1202 2 HP Up Rate Replacement Motor The single speed motor has a single HP so you are always running at the most expensive high HP so operational costs are high.

For the Dual Speed option you would require this 1.5 HP Full Rate Dual Speed Motor You will need a controller to switch between the high and low HP so if you have a standard yellow dial timer then you will need one of these T106 Dual Speed Controllers Your normal timer would power the motor on and off and this new T106 would be used for switching between high and low. The Dual Speed motor gives the option to operate at a high HP or a low HP typically you will run on the low HP for general filtration and you have the high HP for your solar, spa, vacuuming, etc.. The down side is you have little flexability as you only have 2 speeds high and low.

The last option would be a variable speed replacement motor. You would require this 2.7 HP Variable Replacement Motor The Variable speed is the most energy efficient as you have the option to dial the motor into any RPM level between 600 and 3450 this also gives you great flexability to dial in the RPM's to your exact needs. The variable speed motor has an on board controller so no extra controllers are needed.

With any of the options above you will need a Max E Pro Seal Kit

Below I have listed a few Videos which may help during your Installation

How to Replace a Pool Motor

How to Replace a Shaft Seal
How to Install a Variable Motor

As far as upgrading the pool system did you have any particular components you wanted to upgrade? If you could post some photos of your equipment that would be helpful in making some suggestions.

All,

I just wanted to share my appreciation for all the help. I was successful at replacing the 855 with a newer 2854 1.5HP motor and all is well. I chose to go the cheap route and looking to replace the pump/motor/filter in the next 6-12 months. FYI, if you anybody comes to this forum off a search, the 855 is still on sale on Amazon for $250 but the 2854 is only $150 and the newer model.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.