Need Advice Replacing Pump & Filter

I am replacing an old Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter & WhisperFlo 2 HP Pump #011582 (single speed). I am looking to go with a sand filter since the cartridge cleaning & replacing is such a pain. I have 15,000 gallons with a 9' turboslide, and a small booster pump for the polaris pool cleaner. I am thinking about the Pentair Superflo dual speed 1.5HP #340043 with a Sand Dollar SD-80 with Clearpro Technology. Do you think this will work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Mike

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry you are not getting more replies.

Sand filters are all pretty much the same. Just be sure it is sized appropriately for your pool. Bigger is better.

I am surprised you were having issues with your cartridge filter. You must get alot of dirt in your pool as I only clean mine once per year. Mine is oversized but I think yours is for your pool volume.

Do you follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]? Cartridge filters do plug quickly if you have an algae bloom. Not all algae is visible.

A dual speed pump will work great for you if you do not have any water features, SWCG, etc.

Could you fill out a signature for us? See Pool School - Getting Started

Take care.

Thank you for your reply. I do have to clean or replace the cartridges every 2-3 weeks during heavy use. Cleaning those things are brutal so I was thinking about switching to a sand filter. The top dome blew apart early this Summer & I just bought a replacement top cover. The bottom does not look too reliable, and generally the filter is in bad shape. I do keep up with the CYA which I try to keep around 70. My pump motor just froze up a few days ago too so I have to replace that for sure. I am very interested in the 2 speed pumps to lower energy consumption. I am guessing the Triton II might work better for me since the CCP420 has side mounts. Any advice is very welcome.

One of Marty's first question re your 2-speed pump was: do you have water features or SWCG ?? You need more power to operate the SWCG, especially if you say you are using it heavily, which requires more FC. But, cleaning your filters every 2-3 weeks is A LOT. Something else is going on...a CYA of 70 is a bit high but look at the FC/CYA chart.

you need to looking into 'hair-nets" for the skimmer baskets if you're cleaning your cartridges so much, get proactive and take the load off the front end..also as Marty said, pls complete your signature which indicates everything you have in your pool.

Welcome and good luck, tstex

I do have to clean or replace the cartridges every 2-3 weeks during heavy use.
That sounds like you might have chemistry issues rather than debris load. Is the reason you are cleaning them is because of a rapid PSI rise? That is usually because of algae clogging up the filter. A 420 sq-ft filter should not need cleaning even under the worst circumstances more than a couple times a year.

What is your FC target? With a CYA of 70 ppm, your FC should never go below about 3.5 ppm and you should target about 5 ppm.

"That sounds like you might have chemistry issues"

I think you hit the nail on the head mas985. Yes, the PSI goes up very fast. I have been using test strips, and after reading this forum, I just ordered the TF-100. I believe I had an inaccurate reading on the FC. I am in this process of installing a new pump and sand filter now then will have to get chemistry back to normal with new test kit this time. Thank you for your help.

Post your results after you receive your TF-100 (good choice) and we can help guide you on your next steps.

I would add some liquid chlorine daily (maybe 1/2 - 1 gallon) and use a brush to mix it in while your pump is down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.