Time to 'cut bait' and start over or stay the course?!

The 'green monster' in the back yard necessitated something be done...
Pre-TFP discovery I took a water sample to Leslie's (I now know better)
Their numbers:
FAC -2 (OK) (Their words)
TAC -2 (OK)
CH -90 (Low)
CYA -100 (high)
TA -180 (high)
pH -7.6 (OK)
copper - 0 (OK)
iron - 0 (OK)
TDS - 500 (OK)
phosphates - 200 (high)
They wanted me to add acid for TA; which I did and almost 8 lbs of shock which I did. After no miracles occurred I started to research online. (I 'inherited' the care of this pool) I found TFP and it sounded like a common-sense approach to pool care so here I am. I determined I needed to SLAM the pool, but with a high CYA I would try and remedy that while I was waiting on your test kit. I lowered the pool level by almost 1/2 and refilled thinking that would lower my CYA by almost half (closer to the normal range) and b) help with how much liquid chlorine it would take? I began adding liquid chlorine (10%). After 2 days and 33 gallon jugs with absolutely no change in green I finally achieved 31 ppm. (Erroneous number for CYA @ 100; not sure why I decided to use that number as the target as I did consult your charts) I did a test for CYA soon after I started adding chlorine and got the number of 100 (original number from Leslie's pre drain/fill :(). Continued to dump more chlorine/money into pool in an attempt to maintain 31. (It would drop to 15-25 overnight) In performing another CYA test this morning, it showed 80. I think CYA dropped slightly with back-washing sand filter/refilling? Poking around on TFP today I realized that with such a high CYA the SLAM is difficult (impossible?) and my maintenance chlorine PPM will always be high. I have performed no other tests other than FC, TC (2-3) and CYA because I was SLAMing. I am aerating (return nozzle breaking surface) to try to help with TA; backwashing sand filter for 5 minutes every 2-3 days; running leaf robot several times a day in an attempt to 'brush' the bottom of the pool (the bottom is not visible at all) ; blindly brushing edges/bottom occasionally. At 5 days in with very little progress should I quit, partial-drain, re-fill, test and adjust or carry-on?
Please forgive my long post. I'm trying to give as much information as I can.

Welcome to the forum!

You should continue - but you need to get your CYA closer to 40 or 50 for the SLAM. As you said, it is difficult with a very high CYA.
You probably need to order more FAS-DPD reagents now.

Once you get the CYA lower, adjust the pH to 7.2 (remember, the pH test is only valid if your FC is below 10), and SLAM Process. Follow [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Ask more questions - take a picture looking down in the pool at the same place at the same time every day. Helps track your progress.

Take care.

Thank you for your kind words and speedy reply.

So these are my next steps (in this order): Reduce CYA by draining/re-filling. Once filled adjust pH to 7.2 (if chlorine ppm's are <10 ppm.) Restart SLAM using (hopefully) improved numbers to calculate necessary Chlorine PPMs. Keep fingers crossed...

That's it. Do not concern yourself with TA, etc during the SLAM. No need to test pH once you take FC above 10. Concentrate on FC. CC does not really matter either until your pool is crystal clear and you are set up to run a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Take care.

Thank you for your suggestion. I absolutely am open to any and all recommendations. I did stumble across the dilute poolwater with same amount of tap water and double results somewhere and did try that. Doing it full strength and diluted I did come up with similar results (that little black dot is hard to focus on!) Always under 100 (nearer 85) At this point I've resigned myself to drain and re-fill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.