Help identifying purpose of this plumbing piece.

Mar 29, 2016
Chicago,IL
I'm hoping someone can help tell me the purpose of this plumbing piece located on the side of my pool. I just moved here and this is my first inground pool. I want to close the pool myself to save money but not sure if this is something I have to mess with or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0a2a4458a7e4b4592ab34d8890761726.jpg
a1a46d33d4cd3caeec1b1fe01d67bf36.jpg

cp,

I suspect it is a dry well that you can use to suck out ground water if it becomes an issue...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
is that something I should be concerned with? Or is that just for install purposes. I know when they installed the new liner ground water was an issue according to the receipt the previous owner left. We just had 7in of rain in 24hrs. And making sure I shouldn't be doing anything because of that.

Possibly a well point or a line from the system to use a fountain.

If you unplug it, does water come out?

havent opened it as I wasn't sure I would screw up any pressure with the liner or something.

b5eec8979413d259733633dddc127041.jpg

So I'm trying to close my pool and this is the equipment pad. Returns on the left and skimmer/main drain on the right.
The other plug I was questioning earlier is actually a tee coupler that goes to the main drain?.... I blew it out from the equipment pad to there but can't get it to budge on the main drain side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming this is a shotty plumbing job? Should it be that difficult to clear that main drain line? Gonna pay that pool store to blow them out and see what's going on. They said they close with equipment in and leave it. Is this normal? I would figure you would want it in doors for the winter.

Did you try closing the valve to the skimmer so all air is forced to the MD?

Most inground pool owners leave there equipment out, but if you are able and willing to pull it inside I would think it would extend the life of the equipment. Winters in the midwest can be tough on things.

Did you try closing the valve to the skimmer so all air is forced to the MD?

Most inground pool owners leave there equipment out, but if you are able and willing to pull it inside I would think it would extend the life of the equipment. Winters in the midwest can be tough on things.
Yes I did. I even went to the T are by the main drain and tried blowing that way down. Figured with a 6hp shop vac it would be no problem but that's not the case. Im guessing it's just stubborn and I'll have to invest in a cyclone for the future???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cp,

I suspect it is a dry well that you can use to suck out ground water if it becomes an issue...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim, are you referring to the pipe riser next to pool? If so you are correct.

Dewatering line “mud sucker” for liner replacement. Leave it alone without your next liner will be much more expensive to install.

Also indicates you have a high water table & not to lower water for winterization.

Jim, are you referring to the pipe riser next to pool? If so you are correct.

Dewatering line “mud sucker” for liner replacement. Leave it alone without your next liner will be much more expensive to install.

Also indicates you have a high water table & not to lower water for winterization.

Thanks= Thats prob what mine is for as well, I have a high water table in my area as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.