Advice on re digging out filled in pool

Alex36

Oct 14, 2017
Athens,NY
Hi guys,
I have this project going on and want to hear any comments or suggestion from you guys. I also have some questions.

My wife and I purchased this home in Athens NY in 2016 and the previous owner now deceased had a 12x24 4 foot deep in ground pool. I guess it was filled in the 80's or 90's with crushed stone and he had a fountain placed in the middle for decoration. Now I have started to dig out the pool and am having some serious questions.

IMG_2115.jpgIMG_2116.jpg

These are the only 2 pictures that Im allowed to upload says only 250kb limit

The skimmer is a Hayward sp-1082 1084 (says on the underside of the lid)
I have damaged some of the siding with the backhoe, can I use Aluminum flashing for roofs to make some patches?

How would I go about to pressure test the lines? They are old so Im guessing they would be brittle and have to be replaced.

Any questions Ill be glad to answer and Im sure Ill have question that I cant think of now.

Hello!! Welcome to TroubleFreePools, Alex :handwave:

What a neat thing to do! I recalled someone else's thread where he un-buried a pool in California. I hope something here is of value to if you or just inspiration-
1963 pool resurection

We'd love to follow along with your project.... lots of pics, please! We love us some pics.You would either need to use an outside photo sharing service to upload them or become a TFP supporter as we get more pic space as supporters.

Maddie :flower:

Yes, you can repair the walls that way. To pressure test you will need plugs, compressor and fittings. Honestly, if you don't have those, it might be cheaper to get a pool company to do it once you have every line open at the pool and the pad.

Some more pics
a90f012a6d0f63ba440302c99b075c11.jpg

a014b206c660666763472ab735abc1c6.jpg

WOW! What a terrible thing to do to a pool (burying it), especially with a view like that!!!

(Former down-state Long Islander missing the beauty of NY this time of year...)

Clearly the previous owner was frustrated with owning a pool. The good news is, you’ve come to TFP which means you will not ever want to backfill that pool once you learn our methods!!

I can’t offer much advice except to say that I’m following this thread in hopes of seeing a final post someday where you have a pool full of sparkling blue water and some people enjoying it. Good luck in bringing that incredible pool view back to life.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It does look like you will be able to hang the liner from the white, slotted piece at the top. It will take some careful cleaning out to make sure the liner can be seated in it all of the way.

Here is a link to the different types of liners:

Types of Above Ground Liner Beads - PoolSupplies.com

I also have someone you can call and talk to about what kind yours is and how to measure and order it. Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com They have awesome customer service. I will also give them a shout out to let them know you may be heading their way.

Kim:kim:

Do yourself a favor & replace the coping/receiver track now.. yours is either attached to panel with ancient small screws or blind bolted from underneath.. I'm waiting to see what you find for subbase if any under that fill.. how much digging is left?

Hi Alex,

There are several threads on the forum about people reviving buried pools. I remember one of them had a couple of organge trees growing in it. I dont think any of them were vinyl pools though. Anyways,

you can repair the pool wall. Just before you install the liner though, you should put wall foam on the walls (I have it on mine). Otherwise, every seam, repaired spot or imperfection on will be visible under the liner. Especially at night. x 100

You can pressure test the pipes with a few items available at hardware or building supply stores. Google how to do it and you'll get a lot of hits with useful info how. But if you own that backhoe, it might be just as easy to go ahead and just replace all of the PVC, if nothing more, than the piece of mind.

I agree with poolguyinCT. Replace the coping. Nothing more difficult to do than replace the coping after you finished and have water in teh pool and discover the liner keeps falling out, or the coping pulls away from the wall.

Looks like a fun project you have there.

Can you post a shot of where the old equipment pad was/is? I vote for a complete redo of the plumbing but that just my opinion....

Still can't believe the previous owner just filled it in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3c965080ab0c4552a521ee5fd2a69dd4.jpg

581177b21aae8462e0b7d764442db5d7.jpg

These are the pics of the pad and the distance to the pool. As far as replacing the coping am I going to have to smash concrete because after digging the dirt that’s the last thing I want to do.....
ccd51d92283e2dd288197977ed302c6a.jpg

This is how much to go still.

So only two lines - one suction and one return. If you do find a main drain, then it is likely tied into the skimmer. The picture of the skimmer with the blue "GIZZMO" in it shows the second opening plugged closed. Either there's no MD or there may be one but, because it was leaking, they simply sealed it off....definitely lots of intrigue with a buried pool.

As far as the coping and concrete goes, I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend? If you want to truly renovate this pool and make it "your own" then redoing the deck around the pool and adding on new coping (perhaps with a more modern liner track) is the way to go. If the desire is to just get the pool back to life and not sink too much money into it, then leave everything as-is as much as possible including the plumbing. Buried PVC pipe should have a long expected life (about 40+ years) assuming it never suffered any freeze damage. The returns in your picture look like they were plugged and so there's hopefully no water infiltration. If the pipes at the pad are looking damaged, then all you might need to do is dig down a foot or two, cut the old pipe away and stub up new connections. In order to completely redo the plumbing, some portion of the deck would have to be cut away to access the return pipes and install new ones. Digging under an existing deck is dangerous and you'll never be able to backfill it properly which could result in the deck sagging and cracking.

Ok, it looks like you have an algae problem that got a little out of hand. Don't worry, we can get that cleared right up! :D

You have a stunning area for the pool. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.