Indoor vinyl pool renovation LED lighting?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
Well it is finally time (past time) for a new liner in my indoor pool, and while I am at it this winter I plan to likely do some other renovation. Which leads to my specific question, what are your thoughts on the current state of LED pool lights, I have not had much time to spend on pool related stuff this year, so is there anything new and great that has came out in the last 12 months. I am ok with plain white LED, color shifting is ok too, though my main concern is lighting while swimming, and it not being blinding while in the water. There is an old (probably Hayward) light niche that may be replaced as part of the renovations, though I have not yet decided how extensive this project will be, on the low end I am looking at new skimmer, liner, and return fittings (the pool is almost 40 years old, wood wall construction), skimmer and returns are original and showing their age. On the upper end of the spectrum the renovation may include all new decking, coping, and running new plumbing lines.

So at a minimum I would be looking at replacing a single main pool light, mid range may add side lights to one side of the pool (nicheless? what brand?) and high end may be side lights on both sides.

thanks for your thoughts
Ike

I’m very skeptical of them. So many posts on TFP of very expensive Pentair 5G’s failing AFTER warranty (1 year). At a $1,000 a pop, that’s a lot of money to flush down the main drain.

I get it that the whole color changing thing is cool and you can really light up the backyard in funky ways with them, but they still seem highly unreliable to me.

I think if you wanted to go LED, then go with a standard light niche and see what kind of R40 style LED bulbs are available. If you can get a standard bulb in low voltage for around $100 or so, then maybe it would be worth it. I think it’s better to do the step down from 120 to 12 at the equipment pad rather than a at the bulb if at all possible.

My gripe with LEDs (any kind) is this - the LEDs themselves last a long time, the problem is in the cheaply made and failure-probe drive electronics that’s built into the bulbs.

Hopefully someone here has found a brand that works....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.